Notices

24 Hour No Nicotine/No Smoking Club - Part 9

Old 06-25-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Ok, day one begins. Last night was fine, I was a little annoyed by things and had a minor buzzing headache. This morning the buzzing headache is a little stronger but no need for the nicotine gum yet. I do feel short tempered so I need to watch out for other peoples feelings today.

It honestly feels different this time, excepting that their will be cravings and headaches but why should that make me smoke.

How's everyone doing today?
Old 06-25-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

JMF you can do this! Its so true....only 3 days worth of extreme cravings and you are home free! Its so much more doable than I thought. I was a chain smoker! Two to three packs a day smoker! I did it!!! Now at 4+ months I go thru days forgetting I ever smoked! Its amazing!

It was my addiction telling me all these years I could never quit. It told me I'd be plagued with cravings daily and it wouldn't be worth it. Might as well get used to the idea of an early death.

But I told it, "No way!! I have people in my life that wanna spend time with me! I didn't just give up pills to die of cigarette smoking!!"
Believe me if I can do it anyone can!

24 more baby!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

That's a good attitude Axiom. It took me a few tries to get it going. I'm happy to report it was so worth it! I love my smoke-free life!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I'm glad to read everyone is doing well.

Day 50.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I have a portion of 1 cig about every 24 hours - finding it hard to let that go. It's been 3 days of that.
I start getting panic y in the afternoon about going home time. Maybe tomorrow I'll make it beyond that.

clean, I'm impressed with 4 months, congrats! I'll get there.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hey JMF I hate to tell you this but having just a little bit every 24 hours is going to keep you in withdraw forever. You are literally torturing yourself. If you are down to just a few puffs every day do yourself a favor and give up those puffs of nicotine.
Check out WhyQuit - #1 quit smoking site. It's a quit smoking cold turkey informational site Check out the "Quitting by gradual withdraw" article.

I was a chain smoker too like Li.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

No cigars today.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

i'm having the effects of 40 years of smoking holding up my wound healing

coming up on 3 months for wound, and three months of no smokes
Old 06-26-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I hadn't heard about slower healing before. Is that due to circulation?

24 more please.

Just hit 36 hours. Headache is less but cravings are stronger. I seem to have more control over my attitude but I know I will snap quickly today.

Off to the gym and work.

Congratulations everyone!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JMFburns View Post
I have a portion of 1 cig about every 24 hours - finding it hard to let that go. It's been 3 days of that.
I start getting panic y in the afternoon about going home time. Maybe tomorrow I'll make it beyond that.

clean, I'm impressed with 4 months, congrats! I'll get there.
Congrats so far. I quit by gradual withdrawal too. I've been totally smoke-free for about 2 weeks now, and it took me about a week of having one pack every 2 days, and then only one or 2 cigarettes snuck in, before I was finally able to go cold.

Just make sure you go for cold! I did the gradual last year, and I was going 1-2 days cold and then having a pack for about a month straight. In the end though I never tried going totally cold, and ended up falling back into the habit as usual.

The day you're truly mad at yourself for having that one cigarette is the day you know that you can definitely do cold
Old 06-26-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Congrats Axiom! You are doing great! I know what you are going thru! Trust me....those cravings will disappear! If they get so bad you feel like giving in....just go take a shower instead or even go to bed. I tell ya...I had a few of those very close calls this last time. I had no choice but to go to sleep or I would've smoked one...it was that close! But I didn't cave and now I'm grateful for that! You can do this....just don't listen to any excuse your AV might tell you.

Can't wait to see your post of 60+ Axiom. Remember you are stronger than you think!

Congrats to you quiettoday on your two weeks! Yes!

Gettingsmarter I read that book from the guy who started that whyquits website. Darn can't think of the name right now! So I guess that book along with this thread is what made my cessation successful. For anyone who fears future health problems due to smoking and wants or needs to quit....the stories of people who lost the battle were particularly sobering....pardon the pun...but they had a huge effect on my cravings.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Yeah, I just hung out with the dog last night and went to bed early. I owe a couple of people apologies because I was a Dick yesterday... I tried to stay calm and even explain right away that it was me being crazy but in one case they didn't seem to understand which just made me mad again. Not ok, but hey I made it through and nothing to harsh was said so, win?

Feeling much better today at 60hours. I am sure 10 hours in bed didn't hurt. It's a rainy Saturday so just planning on staying home and cleaning. Probably hit the gym at some point.

Pretty much at this point it feels like I have made it through the detox and now it's just about not smoking again. Is that right? I have read so munk ch about feeling better after the first 72 hrs and maybe I am just hoping. I figure it's mainly AVRT or pro/con lists from here.

I feel great! I don't think I have been two days without a cigarette since I was 18 probably 16.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Hey Axiom,

For me (but different for everyone)the peak of feeling bad was at 72 hrs and each day you will start to feel a little bet better. Keep it up. I could write a book on all the improvements in my life since I quit. I feel better, look better, smell better, taste better,................One of the best benefits I have gotten is not being distracted from whatever I am doing because I start to fiend for a smoke. Meeting at work are so much more tolerable now that i'm not looking to escape and smoke every chance I get.

Keep it up everyone.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

yeah ax, circulation issues, and loads more, especially the older one is
Old 06-27-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

My favorite part about quitting smoking is what I was actually most terrified of when I was preparing to quit.

I thought I wasn't even going to feel comfortable again, as everything I did I broke up with a cigarette. Whether I was going to begin something, or at the quarter/halfway/third mark, or finishing something, I always had a cigarette. This was how I lived my life for years, and I was sure that quitting was going to make me feel like I never get a break.

But it's not true. While it was certainly weird as can be for the first week post-withdrawal week, I quickly snapped back into the mentality of pre-cigarettes. Now I realize I don't need to break every single thing up with cigarettes, and it is seriously outstanding how much more comfortable and capable I am without cigarettes now.
In the two weeks I've been without cigarettes I feel like I've tried out and experienced more things than all the years I smoked :P A bit of an exageration, but it's also true in a way; quitting smoking has completely refreshed my curiosity of the world, and in many ways by my being able to quit cigs has also resulted in giving me the confidence to really act on these newfound curiosities and experiences.

It's seriously astonishing to quit. I was so terrified of whether or not I'd be able to accept life without them, and I'm happy to say that that just isn't true. Your body will demand you to keep busy to get through the early period of quitting, and what I say is listen to it! Go experience some new things; that's what has pulled me through so far!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

There's some great reading on here over the last few days. Nice going everybody.

I'm in for 24 more hours. The cravings are fewer and farther between. I still notice a few situational triggers but they don't last long. Day 38.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Had a good weekend. Some cravings, more thoughts along the lines of I would usually be smoking right now. It feels really good to be four days smoke free. Maybe it's in my head but I feel like I am less stressed in general. Maybe I was always fiending for nicotine.

My appetite has shot up with sugar cravings though which is not good. Not as much as when I quit drinking but still pretty strong. Letting myself splurge for now but I need to get in under control soon.

I opened up a drawer a few minutes ago and found a nearly full pack of cigarettes I somehow forgot I put in there. I really wanted one and thought "well just one last smoke". Nope! snapped them at the filters and ran water over them before trashing them. I happy I didn't find them for the first couple days or I may still be smoking.

24 more please! Feeling good.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

You guys are doing great! Good work destroying the leftover pack of cigarettes, Axiom!

No cigars for me.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Wow Axiom! That was close! I hate to think what I would have done had I found a pack in early recovery? You did very good!

Queittoday just wanted you to know I related to a lot of what you wrote. That part about having a cigarette break incerted into everything I do. That was my life exactly! Which was why I thought I could never quit. But I did. I still take breaks now and then.......just not as many and now I call them coffee breaks.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

lets keep pushing through everyone! Another 24 for me. Day 54 smoke-free.