# 3 (permalink)  

24!
Old 12-21-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

another 24!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beware of triggers guys1

Just one upset can lead to a very annoying setback!
----------------------
Old 12-23-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's 117 days for me now. I was a heavy smoker.

If you're new to this part of the Forum, here's three tips on how I did quit.

1. Read Alan Carr's book The Easy Way To Give Up Smoking. I'd had it for ages but I actually properly read it and made notes and talked to a non smoker regularly about it when I was reading it.

2. Used patches. That meant I didn't worry about going out on smoking breaks with co-workers which seemed like a massive deprivation. I don't miss it all now.

3. Went to see my doctor and nurse and they gave me lung tests and that really made me focus on this stuff.

I've relapsed on the fags only once since August. I hated the smell on my clothes the next day.

Since I've stopped I've stopped coughing and I've saved a lot of money.

You can do this too especially if you post here looking for support and encouragement.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm really trying to get myself ready to quit. I managed to stop for over a year but started up again over the summer. I'm not smoking a lot just now average about five a day but am scared! I've found it incredibly difficult to quit in the past and coupled with the weight gain from eating more and initial mad crazy woman nicotine withdrawal behaviour I'm not looking forward to the experience! However I do want to quit I hate the health implications, the smell and the dependence on a evil substance. It's my last addiction to quit though so I might just be clinging onto this more than I need to!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No smoking for me today .
Old 12-25-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Got-to-give-up-cigars! My throat and windpipe ache. I will not smoke today.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smoked my last cig....gotta quit. I smoked half because it made me feel yucky! The taste is terrible and they make me feel dizzy and weak. I went almost a week without them last time....I know I can do this....I've done it before!
Old 12-25-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I will not smoke today.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just past 13 months. I absolutely despise cigarette smoke. I hate the smell!!! Ewww.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

no smoking for me today!

cleaninLI / how is it going?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah! Why not?
Is New years Eve in my country & 2015 looks great for No Smoking..........

Me, round 35 years,cept for a few joints 20 years back.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Today is 2 years smoke-free for me!! This is the longest I've ever stayed quit.

I can't count the number of times I quit, only to relapse. But I kept trying and here I am. It would have been so much easier to just stay quit the first time than decide to have what I would trick myself into thinking was 'just one'. Maybe I'm hard-headed or maybe I just didn't understand what it really meant to be addicted. It took me a long time, but eventually I did learn that I'd rather just stay quit than go through the cycle of quitting and relapsing over and over.

It really feels SO amazing to have 2 years. I plan to make 2015 another smoke-free year so that this time next year, I can have 3 years.

I do like to take things one day at a time, but after a certain point, I realized that not smoking one day at a time was something I had down. My problem was continually relapsing and eventually, I said, "I'm just not going to smoke this year. I am going to get through this so I can be through the hard part and not have to keep doing it over and over." I visualized myself at the end of the year with a whole year quit. And that worked for me.

I love New Year's. January 1 of 2010 was the first time I made a commitment to stay quit for a year. That time I stayed quit for almost 2 years and then went back to smoking for just over a year. Then I figured that since that had been my most successful quit, I would pick the same date for my next serious quit. So, January 1 of 2013, I quit again.

One thing I did differently this time is that I still write down how many days I have quit each day (730 today). It's a reminder to me to be proud of myself, to not forget how I got here, to remember all of the wonderful things that have been made possible in my life by quitting, and to stay committed to not smoking today. These days, I rarely even think of smoking. It really does get so much easier if you just stay quit. But I still try to remember that even though I have 2 years quit, even 'just one' would send me hurtling back to where I was 2 years ago. I've been there and done that.

It's interesting how things work out. All those times I quit and relapsed, I felt so hopeless and depressed about it all. I was disgusted with myself whenever I'd relapse. I felt like such a failure. And I was so afraid of what I was doing to my body. 'Is this the cigarette that is going to give me cancer?' But later, all of that stuff I learned about quitting and addiction proved to be invaluable to me when I quit drinking alcohol and smoking weed.

If I can quit, you can too. If you're struggling, keep trying, keep going. You CAN do this. It's worth it, and you're worth it.

Happy New Year's to all.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

First 40 hrs down! Cold turkey baby! Why do I feel something is missing LOL. Seriously though the first morning I half yelled at my Dad and said I felt like ripping someone's head off. Thank you Dad for understanding.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Totally inspiring post DG (as always) I'd been thinking that I needed to make a longer term commitment to stopping smoking and I'd been thinking about a year so I'm taking your post as a sign lol. I've stopped a few times in the past but have allowed the odd day/week/holiday to smoke and that led me back into smoking again so I'm going for the I WILL NOT SMOKE in 2015 . Ok everyone day 1, am now scared lol X
Old 01-01-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You can do it. Smoking is not an option.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

PH, GS- You both can do this!!

24 more for me.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

No cigarettes this year either, Happy New Year, rootin for everyone.