Notices

Hello All, New here...

Old 07-23-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello All, New here...

I am 32 years old and have been chugging half a bottle of Popov Vodka everyday for the last 3 years....I wand to quit and found it almost impossible after three days of not drinking, relapsing because I still felt dizzy with anxiety attacks....

I have read some threads here that seem to indicate that I can be normal again if I pass the "HUMP" which is at least two weeks.... I've had it all, the three days clean, dizzy still so I drink, the horrible nigtmares, the sweating at night on the third night, but just cannot get over that hump....

It is now been 48 hours once again, and after reading theses forums I have hope and will take it one day at a time....I will be strong, you will all be my rock!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello there! Welcome to SR. Glad you found us.

I am wishing you success for this attempt at sobriety. If it doesn't happen for you this time, perhaps you will consider entering a treatment or detox facility. Sometimes we are too far gone and need outside help. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous so please be careful. Have you spoken with your doctor?

In the meantime, we are here for you. Hang in there and take it one minute at a time if you have to.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm on day three clean and let me tell you, these boards have really helped me stay on track.

Keep us updated!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Hey Popov and welcome! You'll find plenty of support here. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

What you're describing are protracted withdrawal symptoms (PAWS). Basically your body and cells have adapted themselves to functioning with a certain level of alcohol always in your system. They've come to rely on the "quick energy" that alcohol provides, and have become damaged by the metabolic byproducts of processing the alcohol. Check out the book "Under The Influence" -- it gives a good description of what's going on.

The good news is that your body and cells CAN adapt back to normal functioning without alcohol. The bad news is that they don't want to because its a bit traumatic for them. This is part of the basis for the cravings that you feel.

Good nutrition can help a great deal! Lots of people use sugar (candy, ice cream, desserts, OJ with honey, lots of fresh fruit, etc) to replace the "ready energy" that the alcohol used to provide. Some starchy carbohydrates can help too, like lots of mashed potatoes made with milk.

Good nutrition also provides the raw materials your cells need in order to repair the damage that's been done to them. Zuccini (the closer to raw the better) can do wonders to help your liver recover. Proteins (eggs, steak, fish, etc) can help your body repair itself. Green vegetables (lettuce, string beans, broccoli) are a wonderful source of vitamins to replenish what's been depleted. A good multi-vitamin (with biotin) can help a lot too.

Don't worry about any weight gain -- its the least of your concerns at the moment. Your digestive system might also need a little time to recover and operate normally again depending on what your eating habits were when you were using. Fiber can help with that (Metamucil capsules, whole grain breads, etc).

Me personally, I think it took about a week for the remaining alcohol to work its way out of my system, and about another week for the physical cravings to go away. So yeah, that matches the two weeks you mentioned. I didn't really have any night sweats that I noticed, but I had some pretty scary nightmares that first week, (check out the thread "Reality Nightmares", they did a good job of freaking me out). The sleeping problems still come and go a bit, but I've had some success working on conditioning myself into a regular sleep pattern. Its day 23 for me and sometimes I sleep quite a lot, especially on weekends, so plan for it. Remember that your body has gotten used to having a wildly fluctuating blood sugar and it may take a little bit for that to stabilize.

After that may come some emotional issues. I encountered a bout of severe depression after about two weeks that pretty much laid me out for almost three days. Basically, I remembered why I used to drink so much. What ever you do, do not pick up again if that happens to you because it will only make things worse and you'll have to go through all the physical stuff all over again.

Where I'm at now is dealing with the psychological things. Stray thoughts such as "Well, you're better now and you used to have a lot of fun drinking so since you're cured why not try having a few beers again?" I call them "self-cons" and I have to be constantly on the alert against them. Determination is a good tool as is utter self-honesty and remembering what my life was like right before I stopped drinking.

"When the hardware isn't broken and is working right, then suddenly the software starts to work better"

Don't forget the alcoholic mindset. Chances are that booze has been a big part of your life. You need to show yourself that there is a whole LOT more to life than alcohol, and that the booze is just a lie and a snare trying to deprive you of that life. File this under "behavior modification", but go out and DO things! Seek enjoyment in things that DON'T involve alcohol. Remember that this disease is a physical addiction combined with a mental obsession. The physical addiction is easy -- all it takes is some time WITHOUT alcohol. The mental obsession can be trickier. TALK to people -- involve yourself with others who are also NOT DRINKING. AA can be a tremendous help in that regard. Find other ways (besides drinking) to ENJOY LIFE once again.

You can do it! You are not alone!

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!

Thank you and God bless you all....I have yet to see a Doctor, but this three day attempt thing I have tried for the last year. On the second day I usually have potassium pill and constantly drink vitamin water and stuff with B6 and B12....I usually feel better on the third day, but diziness takes over me, I know it's the anxiety taking over but show weakness and usually end up buying a half a pint that same night...I will be stronger this time, since now I know I am not alone....I thought these symptoms were unique....I have read the threads, the firts three days miserable, the next three getting better and eventually feeling normal again, I cannot begin to tell you how grateful I am for finding you (wel....God lead me here) .....I thank your support and please count on mine.....
Old 07-23-2006, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are definitely not alone and those symptoms are not unique! And no, I'm not a doctor -- consulting one any time you're dealing with health issues is always a good idea.

Your brain cells are cells, just like any other cells in your body, except that they're BRAIN cells. They need to go through that same traumatic transition back to functioning without alcohol that the rest of your body goes through too. Your brain chemistry has to sort itself out, and you force it to do so AGAIN each and every time you pick up the bottle. In some people, this can even come out as seizures.

Dizziness, headaches, muddled thinking, inability to concentrate, foggy mind, anxiety, feelings of impending doom, waiting for the other shoe to drop, nightmares, sweaty then cold then sweaty again, wanting to scream, wanting to cry, not wanting to face the world, depression, not knowing what you want or what to do, what's happening to me, fear, fear, fear... These symptoms are not unique!

But here's the good news! Once you get past them, you don't EVER have to deal with them again!!! Your body WILL heal!!! It just takes time and abstinence.

You can get through this if you try. You are not alone!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm really that you recognize that God leads you. Listen to Him.

Pray every night before you go to bed. Pray every morning when you wake up. HE will never leave you.

AA can be an invaluable resource. Check out this website -- it can help you find a meeting near you!

www.alcoholics-anonymous.org
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

GT mentioned PAWS..
link from my files on PAWS...

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Under The Influence" got me sober...AA keeps me there

"Beyond The Influence" is the sequel

Amazon has both.

You Can do this...sobriety is awesome!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Popov, glad you are here..seems as though you are getting some great advice, keep coming back..you are not alone, we are all struggling..i know i am..just know that we are avail. 24 hrs. a day..best wishes to you..
Old 07-23-2006, 09:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

THANK YOU ALL, GOD BLESS, I WILL BE HERE EVERYDAY! GETTING STRENGHT! I even picked up my kids today from my ex-wife, to be stronger and be reminded everytime I look in their little faces that I would want no one else but me raising them!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get better Popov if you hang on. You can do this and you're definitely not alone. There's lots of support here, so keep posting.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HELLO you and welcome to this forum!!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hiyas and welcome to SR!!!

GT gave you a wealth of information earlier, and so on track! I too went through PAWS. It wasnt easy but it didnt least forever either, You CAN do this!!!! I had all the symptoms, including the night sweats which were horrid. All of this lasting from about day 3 through 2 weeks. I actually think the night sweats went on a bit longer but they too passed. On the thing with anxiety, when it hits, try "talking yourself down" my therapist reccomended this for other reasons as I have a panick and anxiety disorder that I have dealt with since I was a small child. It doesnt always work but it sometimes really helps. For starters, when u get dizzy, if you can, sit down and close your eyes, take in slow long deep breaths and exhale slowly. This releases endorphins in the brain that help balance the chemicals in your brain and calm you down.
It is also a good idea to see a doctor, be honest and get some help and monitoring on your recovery. This is important for many reasons but also because that way, bloodwork can be done to make sure there is no lasting damage from the alcohol abuse. Also, meetings etc are an EXCELLENT idea. Meanwhile, keep posting and reading, this site is wonderful!!!!

Again, Welcome!!!!
Liss
Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by Lollipop
Hiyas and welcome to SR!!!

GT gave you a wealth of information earlier, and so on track! I too went through PAWS. It wasnt easy but it didnt least forever either, You CAN do this!!!! I had all the symptoms, including the night sweats which were horrid. All of this lasting from about day 3 through 2 weeks. I actually think the night sweats went on a bit longer but they too passed. On the thing with anxiety, when it hits, try "talking yourself down" my therapist reccomended this for other reasons as I have a panick and anxiety disorder that I have dealt with since I was a small child. It doesnt always work but it sometimes really helps. For starters, when u get dizzy, if you can, sit down and close your eyes, take in slow long deep breaths and exhale slowly. This releases endorphins in the brain that help balance the chemicals in your brain and calm you down.
It is also a good idea to see a doctor, be honest and get some help and monitoring on your recovery. This is important for many reasons but also because that way, bloodwork can be done to make sure there is no lasting damage from the alcohol abuse. Also, meetings etc are an EXCELLENT idea. Meanwhile, keep posting and reading, this site is wonderful!!!!

Again, Welcome!!!!
Liss
We are now at the 72 hour mark....slept vey little last night with horrid dreams and all, but have woken up with hope.....for the first time..... I will go to my 5 year old's school and be part of his summer class...just to spend time with him....we're on our way! bring sobriety on!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Popov...this is my 5th day sober today and still have not had more than an hour of sleep each night...the rest of the night I spend flopping around like a fish, turning from side to side....The amazing thing is though.....even though the nights have been pure misery...I'm feeling a lot clearer today....wide awake and taking care of things I neglected while on my last binge. Maybe tonight will be the night for sleep. Take Care
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Hi Popov! Welcome to SR!

I have 35 days of sobriety, so I am still pretty new to this myself. But it does get easier.

Just continue to be patient with yourself and love yourself and just overall BE GOOD to yourself. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions from others here. We are all here to support you!

You are doing GREAT! Keep coming back!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks again guys, I am sweating bullets and eating/drinking fluids like a mad man as well....
Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there, I did the vodka too SKYY, unless I was really sneaking then it was the flavored singles.

I layed around and did a whole lot of nothing the first two weeks. I've only just begun been sober about 6 weeks with one slip.

It's awsome it's worth the "detox period" my kids are loving it too.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Awesome, Thanks guys, 4 days now...hanging strong, had a ****** at work and was about to stop to buy my usual, but I steered to the left of the road and stepped on the gas....going to bed now....Thanks for the support, my family does the complete opposite....
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 days..that is an accomplishment..it is a new begining, and especially the "turning the other way" after a bad day at work, at 4 days, that is awesome..keep up the good work..Best wishes to you..