Notices

Marijuana Question...

Old 09-06-2005, 04:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

Over the course of thirty some years I did many different drugs and drank a lot of liquor.The only one I could not quit using was pot.When I finally managed to quit,one year and one week ago,it was the hardest battle I ever fought in my life.What did I lose because of it?Thirty years of ambition and achievement!Not to mention a lot of cash.
Anyone who thinks pot is harmless is only fooling themselves.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richie
Over the course of thirty some years I did many different drugs and drank a lot of liquor.The only one I could not quit using was pot.When I finally managed to quit,one year and one week ago,it was the hardest battle I ever fought in my life.What did I lose because of it?Thirty years of ambition and achievement!Not to mention a lot of cash.
Anyone who thinks pot is harmless is only fooling themselves.
Amen, brutha !!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
On a tear

Hi -

Both my kids are addicts and I am an alcoholic (20 years dry). I am from the "me" generation of the 70's. By then, pot had lost most of its allure and had become much more common place.

What I see is that anti-motivational syndrome (or whatever it is called). The lack of ambition. That "perma-fried" attitude. Not quite ever feeling a need to be ambitious, not wanting to climb the corporate ladder.. still living in a trailer and going to concerts at age 50 and working at an entry-level job, making minimum wage with nothing saved for retirement and little or no medical insurance. It is subtle and devious... and a waste of a life.

For my kids, I see it as a relapse drug. One they believe they can control, but one that leads them to just enough lack of self-awareness to reach out for the alcohol or meth that REALLY leads them down the path.

Its illegality in itself is enough for me to never want it in my home. At age 18 or 20, I cared little if the local yokels had my name and number on file somewhere for penty-anti pot possession. But as an adult, functioning member of a society with access to LOTS of records, I now cringe at some of the crap that is available in a public records search. Pretty hard to keep drug use "anonymous" when you start running afoul of the law. Making it legal would get rid of THIS part of things, unless there was a black market. But for now, illegality IS one of the drawbacks.

I do believe there is a medical use for marijuana - and I think physicians should have the right to prescribe this as they do other narcotics, and under the same limitations.

I do get a feel from your posts that something about your use is bothering another person. I suppose you have the right to start limiting your friends to only those who will unconditionally accept your pot-smoking.... but, then, isn't that one of the signs of addiction?

I wish you well and send prayers for clarity and peace.

PS - I forgot. Your lungs hate this crap. ... way worse than cigarettes.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

regular users of pot will always say that they are fine. That its not affecting their lives. Thats just the thing though. THEY themselves arent even affecting their own lives. They just veg-out in one social class the rest of their lives. They get the job landscaping or at the carwash where their potsmoking buddy put in a good word and raved how "they dont test you here !!" How can ANYONE say that limiting where you will work based upon whether they drug test or not isnt that drug affecting their lives. That drug is DIRECTLY affecting your lifes decisions. You wont go there because you cant sneak in your weed, or you wont work their because they might test you, or you wont date her or him because they dont smoke. You like rappers based solely on their drug use. This drug has lazy, loser written all over it.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just my two cents as a spouse with an addict husband. My husband started smoking pot around 14 yrs old. Almost all of his friends did it and still do. Not one of them owns their own home, holds a full-time job, or has a healthy relationship. In fact, they have graduated to hard drugs that have totally wrecked their lives and their loved ones.
My husband always smoked pot. I never really liked it, but I thought well, it is just pot. He didn't finish college because he didn't have the discipline. Luckily, he was fortunate to find a great job. He continued to party and party. He started drinking and smoking pot. He went from smoking pot a couple of times a week to everyday all day long. Some of his friends grew up and had families and the others just continued downward. They now take pills and use cocaine on a regular basis. My husband developed an anxiety disorder (which I believe and research says could have come from his early and continued pot use.) He also graduated to cocaine and pills to deal with his anxiety. Our marriage has suffered greatly because of his drug abuse and it all started with smoking "just a little pot."

Let's see, do you honestly think that pot smoking doesn't do damage to you?

I think you should sit down and talk to your boyfriend. You probably don't have a clear of head as you think you do. Guess what, when you smoke pot people can tell. You smell like pot, your eyes are blood shot, and the stare is sickening. I think if you really care about your boyfriend you should listen to his concerns. You don't have to agree with him, but respect his opinion and please please please don't choose pot over him. If you aren't addicted to it, try to stop. What is it going to hurt?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sick and tired
and please please please don't choose pot over him. If you aren't addicted to it, try to stop. What is it going to hurt?
If you DO choose pot over him,................then whatcha just did there my friend, is just prove that that drug has complete control over you...
Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Let Go

My Husband also started out with pot at about 16, he is now a cocaine addict, and we are seperated. He didn't start with the coke until about 4 years ago. He is now 29. Before he started doing it, he cut out friends who were doing it. He couldn't believe that they would do coke!!

Is it really worth losing someone over? If it's a problem with your boyfriend now, it always will be. I don't blame him for being upset about it. Take a look at the Naranon Forum and maybe you'll get some understanding of how he feels, everyone there loves an addict. Pot, coke, meth, heroin, or alcohol it doesn't matter it's all the same, drugs kill people and will rip the hearts out of everyone who loves an addict. The pain and horror of watching someone you love in a downward spiral is paralyzing.

Really ask yourself why you do it? There are many other ways to relax. Take a hot bath, watch a movie, get a massage.

In my opinion, if you are defending it, it is a problem.

Roxy
Old 09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I have a lot of thoughts on this issue, most of my points have already been made by others. I guess my opinion is this, I personally can not smoke pot sucessfully. If I smoke a joint, I will smoke the whole bag and be out looking for more. It might as well be crack for me. I have had many many negative consequences because of it. I lost my marraige, job, don't get to see my son on a regular basis (because of relocation, not because of my ex, she is great!!), filed bankruptcy, have spent time in the psych ward twice(extreme depression and a suicide attempt)...these are all direct results of my smoking pot. This was for me, it may be different for others, I know people who can share a joint at a party on the weekend and not crave anymore. I can not do that. I think the most important thing to do is to take an honest, and I stress honest, look at the effect your using is having on your life. It apparently is having a negitive effect on your relationship with your BF. You can say it isn't right for him to feel that way, but the fact is he does and you will not change that. This will continue to be an issue in your relationship until you quit smoking or find someone else. I'm not saying that to be mean, it is just how it is. Trust me, I've been there. There are probably other consequences in your life because of your smoking if you are honest about it. At the same time, I'm sure there are bennifits, otherwise you wouldnt' do it. You don't have to share this with anyone but yourself, but it is very important that you be honest with yourself about it. I also had to respond to your comment about there being no accidents due to smoking pot. Pardon my french, but that is complete BS. Pot does impair your moter skills and reflexes, that is one reason we smoke it. I personally have been in an accident that was directly caused by the fact that I was stoned and know several of my friends that have as well. If you think that you are not impaired behind the wheel because you are stoned, you are lying to yourself. You could probably make a pretty good arguement that you are not as impaired when you are high vs being drunk, but in both cases you are impaired. I've been clean for about 6 months after using over 16 years. I was a wake and bake stoner, smoked a 1/4 oz a day. I am happy I have finally put the pot down, I just wish I hadn't wasted so much before I did it. I wish you the best. Take care.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

Okay let me just share that I am 25 years old. Up until last Oct, I never tried smoking pot...was against it. Then I decided to see what it was like & I didn't think it was bad like alcohol. SO this is not something that I have been doing a long time. I don't buy it from people. I don't carry it with me. If I am at a party or someone's house and they have it, I will probably smoke it, there have been times that I have passed it up too. I don't smoke at work. I don't smoke in the morning or afternoon, the only time is later in the evening. I would never take it on the airplane or go down to the ghetto to buy it...I am just trying to give a more clear picture of my habit.

ON DIFFERENT NOTE.....Laura

That was my intial thought this morning when I woke up. I thought if he really sees a problem with it, then I will stop for about a month or set a date or something, just meaning that it would be a full month, nothing short of it. Then if there were any noticable differeces, I would stop. I wanted to get other people's perspective on things before I talked with him, that's all. I just like to educate myself on the neg's too. I already know what the positive's are. I laugh alot, I relax more, sleep better and think really deep about things. I just enjoy it. I am not out driving around doing it either.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2dayisanewday
Okay let me just share that I am 25 years old. Up until last Oct, I never tried smoking pot...was against it. Then I decided to see what it was like & I didn't think it was bad like alcohol. SO this is not something that I have been doing a long time. I don't buy it from people. I don't carry it with me. If I am at a party or someone's house and they have it, I will probably smoke it, there have been times that I have passed it up too. I don't smoke at work. I don't smoke in the morning or afternoon, the only time is later in the evening. I would never take it on the airplane or go down to the ghetto to buy it...I am just trying to give a more clear picture of my habit.

ON DIFFERENT NOTE.....Laura

That was my intial thought this morning when I woke up. I thought if he really sees a problem with it, then I will stop for about a month or set a date or something, just meaning that it would be a full month, nothing short of it. Then if there were any noticable differeces, I would stop. I wanted to get other people's perspective on things before I talked with him, that's all. I just like to educate myself on the neg's too. I already know what the positive's are. I laugh alot, I relax more, sleep better and think really deep about things. I just enjoy it. I am not out driving around doing it either.
Three things:

1. You can come up with all the reasons you shouldnt stop smoking pot that you want. The ONE thing you cannot counter is that its ILLEGAL. YOU WILL GO TO JAIL IF YOU GET CAUGHT. If you get caught you may have to explain yourself to SOMEONE,....ie, work, co-workers, neighbors, family members, church members, whatever......

2. If you just continue smoking it,...........you WILL eventually get caught. I havent met a pot smoker who HASNT been to jail atleast once directly or indirectly due to pot.

3. Its a myth that you think deeper. You just THINK that you're thinking deeper. Have you ever been sober and around other people high on weed? They sound like complete, f*ckin idiots.

The bottom line here is,...YOU ARE DOING DRUGS. Your Mother wouldnt be proud, your Father wouldnt be proud, Your Grandparents wouldnt be proud, Your children would be embarrassed, and you boss would fire you. Any of that worth it??? By the way, why are you on this site if you arent recovering from anything,....just curious. And if you ARE a recovering alcoholic, Im sure you know that you cant substitute one addiction for another. If you do, you arent REALLY sober.

Id also love to know where you got that stat that nobody has ever died directly or indirectly due to pot???? Are you insane?? That sounds as though you didnt even bother to find out before you typed that nonsense.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

earlybird

First of all you don't know my life, you know nothing about my mom, my dad, etc to know if they would or would not be upset that I was doing drugs. I am not even going to waste my time talking to you about it, cuz guess what, you could careless.

This comment you made, "Id also love to know where you got that stat that nobody has ever died directly or indirectly due to pot???? Are you insane?? That sounds as though you didnt even bother to find out before you typed that nonsense."

You need to RE-READ what was written and by whom because I never wrote that. Seems like I have my crap together better then you...you reply to something and comment on something that was not directly said by me.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2dayisanewday
earlybird

First of all you don't know my life, you know nothing about my mom, my dad, etc to know if they would or would not be upset that I was doing drugs. I am not even going to waste my time talking to you about it, cuz guess what, you could careless.

This comment you made, "Id also love to know where you got that stat that nobody has ever died directly or indirectly due to pot???? Are you insane?? That sounds as though you didnt even bother to find out before you typed that nonsense."

You need to RE-READ what was written and by whom because I never wrote that. Seems like I have my crap together better then you...you reply to something and comment on something that was not directly said by me.
You know I gotta appologize too, I thought you made that comment too, but after going back I see that it was not you. Sorry about that!! Take care.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

Thanks for the apology. Have a good day!
Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I assumed you had parents that want good things for you. I noticed in your response you didnt comment on ONE thing I said other than the "proud parents" thing.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

You know what they say about assuming....

Honestly, I would appreciate it if you did not respond to anything that I write-- thanks..
Old 09-09-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi 2day....the only reason to smoke pot is to get high. There's no question of using it and not getting high/impaired. I love it but there's only one reason to pick up a joint instead of a marlboro and that's to get high. By definition smoking pot is abusive.
God bless
Old 09-09-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

I haven't smoked in 3 days.

I understand that people smoke to get high, quite frankly I love to get high. I don't care how that looks or sounds, I am just being honest. I am doing this one day at a time thing and trying to stay away from it. I am just trying because my boyfriend does not like it and I want to prove that I can go without.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I dont know why you are getting so defensive. Could it be that I asked questions that you really dont want to have answered? I wasnt trying to be mean to you. I just didnt understand where you were coming from.

But look,...as long as you can say that you LOVE getting high,....and that you are doing it to PROVE you can go without, you arent really DOING anything about your addiction. If you have to go through a trial of abstinence to prove you CAN go without, then you probably have a problem. You are doing a drug that can get you into ALOT of legal and physical trouble and potentially ruin your life. My only question basically, was why???? Why would you risk that? Furthermore, you must be doing this for YOU,...not to prove anything to a boyfriend or anyone else. I mean,..are you planning on abstaining for a while and then say to your boyfriend, "See?....I can go without it....I dont have a problem". Then immediately blaze one up? An old timer once said ...."If you arent sure you have a problem,...try to go without for 30 days,........if you cant make it the 30 days.....you have a problem........if you drink or drug on the 31st day, you probably still have a problem" That just means you white knuckled it until the 30 days were up. Its like when someone goes on a diet for a month eating only salad and drinking water and then very first day after the diet they order an extra large pizza and suck down a chocalate shake.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I'm not sure this person wants to stop using. All I hear are justifications and rationalizations.

If a person "loves to get high" (finally! Honesty!!!) and has experienced no negative consequences as a result of using drugs, then why stop? I don't think I know anyone who's quit using before experiencing the inevitable pain that active addiction causes.

Besides, addicts will do what addicts will do when they're active in their disease. I've learned that I didn't cause it, I can't cure it and I certainly can't control it.

So, I let the addicts in my life do as they wish, but I choose to limit my exposure so I can keep my serenity. They know full well where to find help when they finally get sick and tired of being sick and tired...
Old 09-10-2005, 03:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I would have to say if a person "loves to get high" (me too!!!) and experiences no negative consequences in their lives (uh, not me too!!) that perhaps they are not an addict. It's all about being honest with yourself.