Notices

Marijuana Question...

Old 09-10-2005, 05:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

http://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/Pages/detox.html

i have quite a few family members who started out just using the occasional joint. they are now addicted and can't stop using. one lost his house because he can afford his pot for himself and his wife but could not afford to pay for roof over the heads of the kids. if you insist on using then you will be the one to eventually pay the price and suffer the consequences. your choice!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
On a tear

2dayisanewday - How's it going for ya today? In treatment, my kids (both addicts) were told that days 7 - 10 can be some of the most difficult for marijuana withdrawal. Just giving you a head's up.

You know, not everyone is an addict... otherwise, we addicts and alcoholics would be normal! But I don't often hear normies talk about any difficulty at all in giving up a substance. By "difficulty", I mean resistance to quitting. Even if the resistance is subtle.

I liken it a bit to the subtle addiction of nicotene... I know more active smokers who "like" smoking. Hell, they "enjoy" smoking! After all, can anything be better than an after dinner cigarette? Yet we all know that nicotene is one of the most addictive substances on earth and those comments are what? Maybe the addiction talking?

Just saying what I see in others and wondering if you find any truth in it for you. If not, no biggie.

Peace.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

This is going to be short cuz I have to go to church. I am on day whatever, and I have not smoked. I have been around it and everything. Really these past few days have been fine and I have not had real problems with it. I am not urning to do it. Intially I thought that I would be bothered because I couldn't but sometimes we think too deep. I think it was because I was pmsing actually. Plus I am a person who does not like to be told what to do and so anytime someone tells me what they think that i need to do, usually I am resistant to it. My boyfriend is extra sensitive to anyone that drinks and uses. He just wants me to be careful because he has seen people that smoke increase their use and then it is a problem for them. I have not had anything bad happen to me with it. BUT why let something happen. My Aunt and I were talking about how this girl at her work was there for 10 years and she lost her job because they found out she was smoking, so I just thought alright, I know I can stop....and the only way to prove I can stop is to do it. I have not set a timelimit on myself, ie a month or something, just dealing with life each day one day at a time...have to get going....talk later.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:47 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Im sorry, but that whole paragraph was one big rationalization. "its my boyfriend who is too sensitive"....."Its my stubborness on not liking to be told what to do"......its this,...its that,...but its not me.

If you have difficulty stopping, then you have a problem. Whether that difficulty is physical withdrawls or just being pissed off that someone asked. You said that this isnt a "quit" for you, but rather a period of abistinance as PROOF you dont have a problem. If you feel you have to PROVE it,...then you DO have a problem. Thats my experience,...thats other members experiences,...and Ive heard this same story a billion times at the treatment center and meetings. Justifications and rationalizations. If hundred people jumped off a roof and died,...why would you think you MIGHT have a chance? Why risk your life? You are risking your life,..and endangering mine and others when you are out on the road high. And if you're about to say that you dont drive while high,...then what if someone you love needs you to drive them to the hostpital or any other emergency situation that requires you to drive??? But you cant,...because your always high. You've rendered yourself useless to them. Theres much more to think about then just yourself.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

Nothing bad has happened to me. It bothers my boyfriend, I care about him, I decided to stop--end of story. He just does not like it---period. I care about him and his feelings, that is more important to me then using and subjecting him to being around it or me if I am using. That does not make me an addict! Just because YOU or anyone else is an addict, does not mean the whole world is.

Like I said before, I was trying to be nice and ask you not to respond to me. I think that you are rude. You ask me questions like, "Are you insane?" and make snide comments when you know nothing about my life. Please, just leave me alone...is that too much to ask?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

How about the fact that your boyfriend whom you love is fed up with your drug using? Doesnt THAT qualify as "something bad" happening to you? Most people with addictions make that same argument at some point. "Nothing bad has happened to me yet". Its too bad that you think that, that means nothing bad is ever GOING to happen. We have all said that, only to have many bad things happen to us because of alcohol or drugs. Tell me some of the GOOD things that can come of drug using.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by earlybird
Tell me some of the GOOD things that can come of drug using.
Sure! Lessee... there's the way my short-term memory....... uh...... I...... um.............

...what was the question again? :slaphead
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Originally Posted by 2dayisanewday
You know what they say about assuming....

Honestly, I would appreciate it if you did not respond to anything that I write-- thanks..

We have what is called an ignore button on this forum. If you use it you will not have to read anything written by a member that you do not want to read.

Some people here are very passionate with their opinions. We all are adults and can make our own choices. for you I hope you choose what is right, safe and healthy for you.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

Thanks for the information. I have already put her on the ignore list. I tried to be nice and ask if she please not respond, but I guess she does not respect my wishes. That is fine, on the ignore list she goes. I know myself, if someone asked me to comment, then I would leave them alone and worry about myself.
On another note, thank you for the encouragement to make healthy decisions.
I wish you the same. Have a good day!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Why don't you just go to a medical website in which tells you the pros and cons for pot usage. Chances are you will find more cons than pros. This site is for people who can't drink and use drugs, because we abuse them. Pot is bad for me because I would smoke around the clock and forget to live my life. It would be spent on the couch watching TV and not a productive member of society.

If you can handle smoking, go for it. If I could I would too. As you can see, this habit of yours is already affecting your relationship with your boyfriend. Maybe you need a pot smoking boyfriend. Good luck in finding out what you seek.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

We have had to take into consideration if we can be together or if it will work. Just because I can drink or smoke occasionally does not mean I have a problem. For him he watched his sister do all kinds of drugs, heroin, etc and ultimately it killed her. He saw what happened to her and what it did to him and also what it did to his Dad, drugs that is. So he is not supposed to be around it, considering he is an addict, but he knew these things before anything even happened between us. I think that he was hoping I would change or that he could change me.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

I have been nothing but honest about what I do and never lied or made someone think that I was something that I wasn't.
He even said last night, it has not caused a problem, but he does not want it to ever get to that point. Make sense?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I think that he was hoping I would change or that he could change me.
He can't change you sorry to say. You have to change for you, but if you don't have a problem, you don't need to change, right?

I just wanted to post this. Pot is a gateway drug. Believe that. I used to only smoke pot until harder drugs were in my face. I figured if I could take pot, why not coke, X, acid, shrooms, ect.? Before long, I was experimenting like crazy with whatever crossed my path. I only warn you because you smoke with people. The drug circle of friends causes bad ideas, like trying something stronger. Consider this, people, places, and things can lead you to corners where you are open to bringing yourself down. Just a warning.<!-- / message -->
Old 09-14-2005, 11:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
2dayisanewday

It being a gateway drug is his exact concern actually...he says the same exact thing.

I have tried shrooms before, when I was in high school...I have done them twice and honestly I did not like them at all...I was paranoid like a motha. No thank you. For me I know that I would never do certain things, but I appreciate you telling me what you have or providing me with additional information. I will research things. Right now though I am on day 9.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 9. I am on day 17. I have a drinking and coke problem at bay. I will tell you this, never do a line or bump of coke so long as you live. I got addicted quick and it cost me mucho dinero and the scares of my life.

I wish I could smoke pot occasionally. It is the best drug of them all, hands down. But, at day 9, you may not need to ever smoke again.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Congrats to both of you. I myself do not ever want to try to see if I can do my DOC or anything including drinking in moderation. I have found a new way of life in recovery.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
On a tear

Hi 2day... I do appreciate your honesty, especially in light of the fact that most of opinions expressed here do not generally agree with you.

In my 12-step program, I have been taught to share my experience, strength and hope... and not to give advice. Also that others can "take what they like and leave the rest" (though I have more trouble with THAT one... grin).

I believe in the "disease concept" of addiction. That alcoholism and addiction (same thing, in my mind) run in families and that there is a genetic basis for the addiction. Not all kids in a family with addiction will inherit the genes - the same way a family of brunettes can get a redhead.

Your BF mentions addiction in his family. He may carry a gene for addiction. Even knowing what I do now, I don't know if I would give up a relationship based on whether my kids "might" inherit a gene that may cause them to develop addiction.

But I thought you might appreciate having the information.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Most here, if not all, would agree that people die every day from using alcohol and other drugs. It seems to be a given.

Also, I think we'd be in agreement that not everyone who drinks or uses is an alcoholic or and addict. Some can use occasionally and stop when they want to. Many can not.

Here's my thinking: if there's a distinct possibility that using alcohol and other drugs can lead to death, why would a person choose to use them, even occasionally? It strikes me as kind of risky, quite avoidable, and altogether unnecessary.

Quite a few people have survived snakebites, but most wouldn't walk around with a rattlesnake occasionally tucked into their shirt. "Oh, I only handle rattlesnakes when my friends are doing it!"

Many people have survived gunshots to the head, but Russian Roulette has become considerably less popular as a party game over the years. Prob'ly has something to do with The Deer Hunter...

You don't wanna be this guy...

You really, really don't wanna be either of these guys...
Old 09-14-2005, 02:03 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Dang that's a good movie, nocellphone. One of the best ever. But so heavy.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Heavy? You bet.

Brilliant? Oh, yes...

Michael (Robert DeNiro) [holds up a bullet]: Stanley, see this? This is this. This ain't something else. This is this. From now on, you're on your own.

Now that's dialogue!