Home Detox - PLEASE HELP ME help him!

Old 05-13-2005, 02:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

You should still call the Doctor.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

My wife also got dizzy when she took the Clonadine, Her BP is also normally low. Make sure his doc is aware of it. All of our doctors have said, take the meds and just ride it out. Once he is able, I would suggest getting to a AA/NA meeting. Those are what helped my wife the most. Support from others in the same situation.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-13-2005, 04:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Poor guy, yeah you should let your dr know this, I think, too, but basically he just needs to ride it out, I think.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Chy

Your very strong to enure this and he is lucky to have you. Continue to check with the doctor and continue to try and get him to eat. Even some of those nutritional shakes will help keep his body on the mend.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great advise, I'll be calling the doctor's office today to keep them updated.

A few minutes ago, he made it to and from the bathroom by himself without dizziness. His legs are weak while walking/standing, and are "crazy" while resting in bed. Right now, that's his only complaint. He says he can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

He has assured me that he will be finding a local meeting. He really enjoyed group while a patient at the Meth clinic. I have also looked into meetings for myself.

This board has been a lifeline to me while he's been detoxing. If I didn't have all of you, I surely would have lost it, and been of no help to him. I thank you all for being so wonderful and supportive.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Update:

The dizziness is now mild and he's talking about wanting a shower and a shave! Hooray! He's starting to feel better. Thank GOD. He's been drinking lots of water and some juice, and even asked for cereal this morning. I bought some potassium, and he's also taking a multi-vitamin. His legs still hurt, so I'm giving him tylenol as needed for pain.

I *think* I'm doing all the right things for him. I've never really been a nurse before.

Thanks again for all the great advise and support. You rock!

**hugs**
Old 05-14-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds like it is all coming along fine. You are a wonderful girlfriend, mine just disappeared when I quit. I quit alcohol not heroin but I sure could have used her support. Instead shee continues to sabotage my recovey but that is another story.
I was given clonadine for my heart as well. I passed out while cooking and, well it was a big mess. The fire department woke me up 6 hours later. I think that stuff is scary.
I went to a rehab and was told that people detoxing from something like that should not have any narcotic pain meds, that could jeopardize the detox.
I think rest, food, juices, and vitamins are the way to go for now. I have a book on vitamins and looked up what would help your boyfriend but they only have suggestions for alcohol detox. You may be able to find a book that does offer help. Maybe go online as well?
To find a meeting just go to Google and type in narcotics anonymous and your city name. You will find a complete listing there.
Seeing a doctor can hurt nothing by the way.
Keep up the good work.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Glad he is feeling better! Thank-you for sharing the journey.Have you looked into the Nar-anon or family and friends forum? Bless, Trish
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you BOOZER. Your post really means a lot to me. I'm trying to do all the right things for him, and he's only getting tylenol for pain. The dizziness comes and goes, and he has some stomach cramps. I'll check online for vitamin info. I think he won't be taking the Clonadine anymore, as we highly supect that's what causing the dizziness. I sure hope you weren't hurt in your dizzy mishap.

Take Care.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Trish. Yes, I've read quite a lot in the Nar-anon forum. I've even printed some of it. This entire site has been so supportive and very educational. It has truly been my lifeline these past several days.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

NoWhereToTurn,

Your welcome. I hope all goes well. Vitamins may help so see what you can find.
Bye the way, people are not supposed to stop taking clonadine without a doctor's approval. I did and was fine but be careful.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face

[QUOTE=NoWhereToTurn]Thanks for the replies.

Today is day three. He's still a little sick in the belly, but was able to eat some soup. I'm making sure he's drinking as much water as he can. His freezing cold/sweating episodes have stopped and he says he feels a little better. The HUGE thing now is that he's still so weak, that he gets extremely dizzy when he stands/walks. He's fallen twice. The last time, he actually passed out for a few seconds. His legs just folded under him. He's using a walker that a family member is storing in my basement. When it comes time for him to bathe, I also have a shower chair for him, while I wash him.

My question is...what is making him so dizzy, and is it "normal". He said he was never dizzy like this when he home detoxed many years ago. I told him if by Sunday he's still extremely dizzy, I was taking him to the hospital.

Am I doing all the right things for him?[/QUOTE

Detoxing can make you dizzy. I detoxed myself off Dilaudid and Morphine....was SO dizzy for days that I could not walk...it is POWERFUL stuff....he sounds as though he is over the rough part...I admire your commitment to your BF and you are a really good person to just be there for him. It is scary to watch someone go through a detox at home....tylenol is good, not narcotic and good for aches and pains...I am a nurse, if you need anything...PM me.....my prayers are with you both...Kahlia
Old 05-14-2005, 08:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support and kind words Kahlia.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thinking of you.....I too detoxed my abf through a dr. w/meds. It was the most horrific thing I have ever experienced, it truely made me more spiritual.....and is something I will never forget. We did one week, and he took more .....then had round two the next week all over again. It was totally different in week two.....worse for him than week one....I feel that your bf is very lucky to have you to experience this wilth him.
Mine unfortunately has had another relapse, and has since pushed me away.
He is ashamed and embarrased that he put me through it all, and is back to ground one.
Now i have a forever changed relationship, he comes around only once a week...it is very difficult. I miss us. He knows that I am choosing to not have it in my home, while I still am very much in love with him, in spite of it all.
I hope you two find a way to appreciate one another, the time we shared this detox
made me realize there are much more important things in life . I am forever changed.
Hang in there, he will begin eating more each day. Just keep the fluids going.
Big hug to you.....there were times when I needed one to keep going .
Unfortunately, I found this site after it all. I now know how important it is to have this in my life. It keeps me focused,,,,,,and Naranon.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Jack

This too shall pass. Get him some 'Ensure'. I think thats the name. A protein drink like a milkshake. That's one of the things my significant other did when I was detoxing at home and couldn't eat. A radical step but worth thinking about is to call 911 and say he's suicidal. They'll take him right away. They'll give him the right meds, prevent seizures etc. He really belongs in a hospital before he or you get hurt. Don't forget hallucinating and the overwhelming desire,maybe at your peril, to score just to get over being sick. Junkies will hit, hurt, steal etc. if they're desperate enuf. God bless.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

When I was able to "know" what was going on around me, "they" wore me out. With cleaning. Or maybe I wore myself out? But, each time I woke up, I was kept awake longer and longer each time, to wear myself out, so I would fall back asleep again. Without the yellow pill. With the weird "Itching", "twitching", "aching" I was given tea called valerian root. At the "height" of the hard time, you know, after the yellow pills were stopped, I showered every time I began sweating or was too cold. I was up to two showers and one to two baths a day. But, I dont know if it is normal with other who detox off heroin. Or heck, if it was even "correct". I do remember wishing I had someone to talk to though. I know I had people around me, watching me. But, it just seemed "not Okay" to talk to them, even though they watched me do all those weird things, and be sick. I was very ashamed. They had dealt with so much already.. I really felt like a burdon.
You are such a wonderful person. Giving another a chance to live. I simply cannot imagine what you are going through. But, I felt I had to tell you just how wonderful YOU are. Your such a Blessing.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi jbm125. Thank you for your reply. He's eating a little at a time, so I think the "Ensure" in unnecessary. Although I'll definitely keep it in mind. He'd rather not go to the hospital, but I told him it would ultimately be my call if he took a turn for the worse. He may be the one detoxing, but I'm the one in charge, if you know what I mean. I have to be the sensible one and do all the things I think/know are good for him. I've think I've done pretty well so far.

This site and everyone that has posted here have been a GOD-send to me.

Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thank you Dani, for your kind words. I'll definitely research the valerian root and perhaps run it past his doctor. His biggest complaint is the pain in his legs, which he says Tylenol doesn't help (that's the strongest I can give him).

I wish you well.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hmm maybe the pain in his legs has to do with poor blood circulation? I dunno, it's worth looking into further tho. Like whether the pain is in the bones, muscles or skin. I admire you and your strenght tho, you're a very good gf.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Originally Posted by NoWhereToTurn
Thank you Dani, for your kind words. I'll definitely research the valerian root and perhaps run it past his doctor. His biggest complaint is the pain in his legs, which he says Tylenol doesn't help (that's the strongest I can give him).

I wish you well.
Shaking leg syndrome is miserable...it will leave...it is like his legs will NOT be still. I have seen it in many patients, it is annoying mostly and it makes your legs ache because they are soooo active....it will pass. You are a great person and you have done the right things-he is a very lucky guy.....he needs to stay this way-CLEAN....ater I went through detox at home....I NEVER wanted to use again...I never thought about it except once when I 'divorced" my family recently...got that in check REAL fast....I found this place...I alway feel like I have been to am NA meeting here!!!!...Good work, sister.....Kahlia