Notices

Home Detox - PLEASE HELP ME help him!

Old 05-11-2005, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Home Detox - PLEASE HELP ME help him!

I don't know if this is the right place, or if I'm even welcome to be here. But I have no where else to turn for help. My live-in boyfriend is currently detoxing in our home from Heroin. We met 2 years ago, and he was already a patient at a private Meth clinic. He truly wants to get/stay clean.

The cost of the Meth became overwhelming, so he started reducing his daily take homes and began saving it. Eventually over time, he saved about six months worth of meds. His plan was to slowly reduce his medication over that six month period. We even set up a schedule for him to come down from the 70 mg he was currently taking. About every 2-3 weeks, we came down 5-10 mg.

When he was at the point of taking 5 mg a day, he felt sick and ached. He continued taking the meds until they ran out. For a few days he complained of withdrawal, but it didn't seem to be very bad. I was actually surprised at how quick to seemed to recover.

I found out the other day, that he had been going into the city to another Meth clinic and purchasing Meth from a stranger, who was a patient there. About every other day he went looking for him. One day, the man didn't have any Meth, but had some heroin instead. Since that's all he could find to relieve the pain, he bought it.

Monday, while in the city, he was robbed at gun-point. He claims that was enough to make he want to get well and quit.

He is now home, in bed, dope sick. I called our doctor, and she prescribed Doxepin 25mg and Clonidine .2 mg. It's doing nothing. I called the doctor back, and all she would do is prescribe a higher dosage of both. We asked for a pain medication that *I* would hold on to and dispense. She wouldn't do it.

I have no idea what to expect. I was thrown into this situation and I hate it! I'm trying not to make this about me, but I'm hurt, mad, and scared to death.

What can I do to help him through this, and what can I expect to witness during this time of detox?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome to SR

Heroin detox is very difficult,but you can't die from it. It is good you are in touch with a Doctor and your bf has some med's.I can only tell you about my experience with withdrawal.( With no med's ) I didnt sleep,I was sick to my stomach had the runs and alot of anxiety,the worst seemed to be over in a week for me. Is there no way your bf can go to a medical facility and be detoxed? Its not neccessary for him to suffer.We have a disease and are sick,it is a medical condition.I wish your bf the best,liquids and rest maybe some vitamins. Bless, Trish
Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

I have never seen herion detox and I will pray for you. You are welcome here and you are among friends. I have been told that opaite withdrawl is not deadly. He will wish that he was dead but it wont kill him. My wife came off of hydrocodone and was given clonadine. It helped alot. (hydro and herion are in the same opiate family) I have heard that you just have to buckle down and get through it. It doesnt sound easy at all. Good luck and I am sure that someone else will have better info.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-11-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Let Go or Be Dragged

Nowhere, my abf doc is also heroin, he has detoxed from it many times but never without help. There are ways to detox from it without feeling the withdrawal symtoms which seems to be one of the reasons most addicts end up right back on it. You live in MD, so I'm giving you a link to a Dr's office we went to in NJ, but near Philly http://naltrexzone.com/ your bf can get a 3 day supply of shots to detox himself and they also offer a followup maintenance program which is highly recommended if he wants to stay clean. It's the neltrexone pellet which is implanted under the skina nd will block the affects of opiates for approx. 3 months. Not a long term solution but it's a start. There is also a pill called suboxone which detoxs too, you can ask your Dr if he can prescribe it. Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I feel so helpless. I can hear him in the bedroom, thrashing around in the bed, and moaning. This is killing me! He's freezing and sweating at the same time. His legs and arms hurt, his belly is upset and he aches all over. This is day one. I keep checking his blood pressure/pulse every few hours and am taking notes.

He doesn't have any health insurance, so I'm unsure if a hopsital would take him in for detox.

I asked the doctor about suboxone, but she claims she doesn't like to prescribe it because she doesn't like it.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

I detoxed from large amounts of Vicodin and alcohol...but in the hospital. It was awful. He is going to need some immodium (over the counter) to help with the stomach cramps. More importantly he needs to find a Narcotics Anonymous meeting as soon as he is able. The people there are experienced with this sort of thing and have probably seen it all. Actually you could probably call information for the local number to Narcotics Anonymous and speak with someone there. They may be able to tell you how to get help for him....there is help out there. You made a great move by asking for help on this forum. Now take the next step and pick up the phone. I am sending my love!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

I really feel for you. You are doing great helping him through this. I admire you. I cant really give you any advise as im an alcholic and have not alot of knowlage of heroin, i just wanted to say how well you are doing and that you are in the right place. Keep with it

I wish you both all the best and i hope your boyfriend gets through this.

Take care luv bonnie,xxx
Old 05-12-2005, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I'm informed correctly heroin detox won't kill you, alcohol withdrawals are far more dangerous. But I'm no doctor, I wish you and your bf best of luck tho.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes. The love and support you show eachother is as amazing as this wonderful board, and all it's members.

Just a quick update. One of the meds our doctor prescribed helped him get some sleep. I'm not sure how much, but he is getting some sleep. I tried laying next to him last night, as he requested, but his legs kept jumping and I knew he'd be more comfortable if I went to the couch. Seeing a loved one suffer makes you feel so helpless, when there's nothing really you can do.

Thanks again for all the support. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Let Go or Be Dragged

Hot baths seem to help with the body aches, maybe try some green tea, it helps in detoxifying the body. The first 72 hrs are going to be the worse, my abf never made it past the first day when trying to detox on his own. If he's sleeping that's good, let him sleep as much as possible. Sending prayers your way! Hugs!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoWhereToTurn
I'm trying not to make this about me, but I'm hurt, mad, and scared to death.
Hey, that is exactly how i would be expecting you to feel. You are are allowed your feelings too. Big respect to you for bringing them here though as i believe you are correct about times/places. Warmest wishes Evanna.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I asked him if he wanted me to help him into the bath. He said his skin hurts (everything hurts) and is too weak. I was able to get him some pain meds, which *I* am dispensing. It's for PAIN ONLY and not to be used to get high on. I also managed to get him to eat a cracker. First thing he's eaten since dinner on Monday. His blood pressure and pulse are still good.

Thanks for the well wishes and support. We sure do need them.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering from 10 yrs of Weed

You'd think after such an ordeal like that ....that they would stop using...but my brother went through those withdrawls trying to quit 3 times in his life...he is now off somewhere in canada trying for the 4th time. I would suggest getting him a support group. There are free organizations that have meetings. He needs someone to talk to that can relate to how he feels. There is some kind of inner pain that keeps them going back and he needs to get to the source of that. I wish I could help my brother...but he thinks it's something I don't understand...even though my pot habit feels like the same thing..just different substance.

I know you feel helpless...just continue to give him love and support and show him that there are resources out there that can help.

One thing about going through withdrawls...you don't have your head on straight...you will need to be the brains for him..for awhile.

Also, fruits are very cleansing....when he is able to keep something down..I would suggest getting a juicer and making him some fresh juice. It will help flush his system of all that crap.

Hang in there...I wish the best for you !!!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

were the pain meds prescribed by the same doctor treating him? If not, you are endangering his life and his detox.

Dont be his dope-dealer. You could hurt him badly.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here is a link to a list of Treatment Centers in Maryland by zip code.
Explain your circumstances to whoever you talk to. If they can't help you, they may be able to direct you to another facility.
Good wishes to you and your boyfriend.
I know this is terribly hard on both of you.
MD Treatment Centers by zip code
Old 05-12-2005, 03:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I too did a detox with my abf. It was the scariest thing I have ever done/seen.....I gained so much growth from it all. I am definitely more spiritual, and am amazed at the human body.
I wish I could say it was terrible enough for him to stop forever, and that he would remember it all. Unfortunately, it was not and he is back at it.
I have let a lot of things go, and am searching my heart to trust my gut that this is not where I belong long term.....one day at a time.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

Today is day three. He's still a little sick in the belly, but was able to eat some soup. I'm making sure he's drinking as much water as he can. His freezing cold/sweating episodes have stopped and he says he feels a little better. The HUGE thing now is that he's still so weak, that he gets extremely dizzy when he stands/walks. He's fallen twice. The last time, he actually passed out for a few seconds. His legs just folded under him. He's using a walker that a family member is storing in my basement. When it comes time for him to bathe, I also have a shower chair for him, while I wash him.

My question is...what is making him so dizzy, and is it "normal". He said he was never dizzy like this when he home detoxed many years ago. I told him if by Sunday he's still extremely dizzy, I was taking him to the hospital.

Am I doing all the right things for him?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

I never experienced dizziness coming off opiates. Has he been on antidepressants? Stopping those suddenly would cause the dizziness you describe. He is hella lucky to have you there.

"If you think dope is for kicks and for thrills, you're out of your mind. There are more kicks to be had in a good case of paralytic polio."
Billie Holiday
Old 05-13-2005, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

He is dizzy because Clonadine lowers your blood pressure! Call your Doctor and tell them about this symptom.Sounds like it's too low.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I keep checking his blood pressure. It's low, but it's normally low. He has not taken any Clonadine today.