Notices

Class of May 2024 Support Thread Part 1

Old 05-02-2024, 02:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Isolation is bad for all of us, 424. Just pop in and say hey and how was your day! Also any struggles you have....you do not have to bear them yourself. We are here for you!
Old 05-02-2024, 03:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Clearlyheaded and Oglsby you're right. I realized it is a slippery slope. I was just taking me time for awhile because I was exhausted a bit from the past few months, and it kind of engulfed me pretty quickly like a blanket covering me. I didn't join a monthly class in the beginning even when people mentioned it, but sharing what's happening I see is what the classes are for. Important to remind people again when their heads clear more, it takes awhile for all this to sink in.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I totally agree with that, 424. Sometimes I just read on SR, and it still helps a lot.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:40 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by 424~~ALive View Post
I am starting to go quiet, even at home I am starting to seclude myself a little bit, and I feel I need to start interacting a little bit more. I am strong in my quit right now and I am just finishing up 118 days sober but I am in a strange place with 'me'. I just saw the new weekenders thread and the topic is about not really knowing who we are and getting to know ourselves after we become sober and how we are not really sure how to do it.
20 months from my last drug the definition of 'who I am" is related to what "I do". As long as I stay on my sober path, including my world and do good for others and myself, I feel good as a human. Then who am I sober compared to a drunk depends not what I think of myself, but what I do. I do good, I feel good, I am a good person. It's that simple for me. Getting in some mind twisting scholastic fight with myself over who I am is useless and a big waste of time. I would not over cook my noodles because this. Keep it simple. You are a good person deep in the heart where it counts 424. Just let your goodness bloom
Old 05-02-2024, 03:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Logging in and posting helps me too - even when I don’t feel like it (like today for example). Had a long day at work but am grateful I passed by all the gas stations/grocery stores/drive thru beverage stores on my drive home without stopping for beer. Day 50 for me and I’ll be hitting the pillow sober tonight.

I am in for 24 more sober hours with you all. ODAAT. Have a great day everyone
Old 05-02-2024, 04:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
20 months from my last drug the definition of 'who I am" is related to what "I do". As long as I stay on my sober path, including my world and do good for others and myself, I feel good as a human. Then who am I sober compared to a drunk depends not what I think of myself, but what I do. I do good, I feel good, I am a good person. It's that simple for me. Getting in some mind twisting scholastic fight with myself over who I am is useless and a big waste of time. I would not over cook my noodles because this. Keep it simple. You are a good person deep in the heart where it counts 424. Just let your goodness bloom
Zen - great post. I love this philosophy. I needed to read this today. Feeling a bit down on myself the last few days but reading your post made me think maybe I’m just overthinking and over analyzing things. Today I got my kids ready for school (something good), worked my butt off at work and was kind courteous to my coworkers (something good),
bought something for my sister (something good), am watching my sons baseball game (something good) and I didn’t drink today (something great). I guess I was a good person today Not sure why I am over complicating things and beating myself up. Thank you for your post.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I would not over cook my noodles because this. Keep it simple.
Love that! I am great at that, over thinking, but over cooking my noodles will give me that nudge to stop when I use that phrase. Rephrasing it makes it more clear to me and helps me see it for how silly it is.

@BassetDog BassetDog 50 days is great! and driving by those stores without stopping for beer shows your strength! You'll sleep better and be happier in the morning.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:14 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 424~~ALive View Post
Love that! I am great at that, over thinking, but over cooking my noodles will give me that nudge to stop when I use that phrase. Rephrasing it makes it more clear to me and helps me see it for how silly it is.

@BassetDog BassetDog 50 days is great! and driving by those stores without stopping for beer shows your strength! You'll sleep better and be happier in the morning.
Thanks 424! It’s crazy how there is alcohol on every street corner. Glad you posted today and hope you’re doing well. You’re around 120 days right?
Old 05-02-2024, 04:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
It’s crazy how there is alcohol on every street corner.
And on sale in every sale paper! I saw that today and a brief thought, wow, great price! but then I thought yea right, great sale, but all that will do is open the door up again and it will be full price again soon. Alcohol Industries way of teasing us "in to the light" and then "sucking us in to the dark". I really do my best not to give those thoughts any of my head space to grow, so I stop those thoughts pretty quick.

Enjoy your son's baseball game!

yes, 120 tomorrow for me.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Yea Basset and 424

When we help each other we grow worth. Doing great things with family is a good way to get out of self. If a battle rages inside with yourself, getting out of self is a relief from that internal self-image fight. I feel I escape my fight when I help someone else with overcoming their fight.

Learning to trust myself to do the right thing is taking time. The more good (empathy, love, carring) I do the better off others and myself will be. Getting sober is an act of love you keep and give away. Love is the path with heart. Follow it, follow your heart.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:13 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Than you Zen. 🪷
Old 05-02-2024, 05:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I would add that to always maintain boundaries.

Which in turn, and as a bonus, also helps the other.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:34 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Beautiful words, Zen! This really hits home with me, too.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:12 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Meant to get on here the other day (on the 1st) to commit to a sober May, but the time just got away from me...been keeping super busy. On day 50 sober (and smoke free too), and feeling great. Looking forward to spending the rest of the month and beyond alcohol free!
Old 05-02-2024, 10:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome NAMXAS - congrats on 50 days

D
Old 05-02-2024, 10:36 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 303 ODAAT
Old 05-02-2024, 11:32 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Congrats to all taking the next right step.

The steps we take now, turn to a slow and peaceful meander eventually.

Not without difficulties, but able to be managed without drama.

Sobriety is SOOOOO worth it.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:22 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all. I woke this morning utterly relieved and grateful I didnt drink last night. That feeling alone is worth the discomfort and fighting the av.

I hope everyone has a good day x
Old 05-03-2024, 01:30 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
RAL

Many congrats to you liz tiday on 6 months sober
Old 05-03-2024, 02:05 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 578.