Notices

Weekenders - Sober Easter and present, 29 March-01 April 2024

Old 03-27-2024, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

As it’s Easter weekend, many of us have a long weekend off ahead of us, and it may be a challenge with more time on our hands.

I remember in the past it was an excuse for me to waste all my days off, binge drinking and then recovering from a hangover, and repeat!

Having a plan really helped keep me occupied and helped distract from any cravings.

If you’re newly sober this weekend, give yourself a pat on the back!

If you can stick around the Weekenders, you’re welcome, we all have one thing in common....keeping sober.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 03-27-2024, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

thank you Mags

D
Old 03-27-2024, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags! Having a plan is key when you’re working on recovery. I appreciate the reminder.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Dee

Hiya Peke Shotgun Peke?

Old 03-27-2024, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hiya Dee

Hiya Peke Shotgun Peke?
I nominate Peke for shotgun
Old 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya DD Hope you’re well.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for this, and every weekend - sober! In 7 minutes I can't have any more food or water cause of the skin graft tomorrow. Hope the hospital offers something to eat after I'm fully awake.

Ck is coming to the hospital to take me home when I'm ready to be discharged. You have to have someone with you going home. She is taking off half or the whole day tomorrow for me.

I have to check in at 7:30 am so the taxi will pick me up at 6:30. Sil offered to come over here to let Billie out on the porch potty after a few hours so she can relieve herself.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks Mags
Old 03-28-2024, 01:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hiya DD Hope you’re well.
I am well. I am about two and a half hours away from my long weekend beginning. Easter is a big holiday to my mother in law and she likes to have everyone over. Last year I was too drunk to go over there. This year I won't be.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy Easter to all.

Thanks Mag1 for always posting a timely reminder to all us alcoholics to focus on the daily commitment to sobriety. I find that reminding myself sobriety is the most important aspect of my life is the core foundation that makes everything else possible.

Pledging for the weekend and today. Day 542.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Monday is Mrs Dragons Birthday. We both took the day off, so looking forward to the extra long weekend. We were in Urgent care all day yesterday, Mrs D sort of had a fall last week which resulted in a hairline cracked rib as she caught herself, we saw a doctor then, but the pain is getting worse. Our urgent care centers are slow, a 10 hour wait to see a doctor. Nothing to do but stare at your smart phone. My neck is sore today. Poor Mrs D can't lay down, she has to sleep sitting up on the love seat.

Speaking of sore necks, I've been seeing a physiotherapist these past weeks as I did something to my shoulder and damaged my rotator cuff. We are a right pair, Mrs D and I. We were hoping to play at the open mike this Monday but it maybe too much of a struggle for us old folk!

Drinking dream last night, no actual drinking but really weird. I was making my lunch for work but wanted to sneak some booze into the lunch kit. Everybody was around and I didn't want them to see as I was attempting to pour some booze into a kitchen garbage bag. After I did that, there was no where to put it as the bag was too full for my kit. I woke up just then feeling very guilty and ashamed. It took a minute to realize that it wasn't real.

Happy easter!
Old 03-28-2024, 04:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh wow, mags! I remember a long Easter holiday when I was living in Germany. I’d ordered DVDs to binge watch and the boxes of beer of course. I wouldn’t say I was falling over drunk, but we’re talking 8 to 10 beers a day over that long weekend. Very unhealthy and also what a waste of a weekend.

Fast forward a few years, the now unrecognisable me is heading to (little 🤣 ) Cornwall this weekend for a lot of windy hiking, overpriced seafood and if I’m organised a Lands End parkrun 🏃‍♂️

Have good Easters everyone 🙂

Old 03-28-2024, 04:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Dragon & Mrs Dragon)))
Get well soon guys

Thanks for this new Weekenders thread Mags1 ☼
Old 03-28-2024, 04:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I remember getting stressed before Easter weekend, because most places are closed on Sunday and I didn’t want to run out of wine!

Glad I don’t have to deal with that anymore….Thanks Mags!

In for a sober Easter weekend!
Old 03-28-2024, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^ it’s no laughing matter, but I lived/worked in Morocco for a year, and whilst alcohol was no problem, the booze shops shut during Ramadan. I was definitely dependent in alcohol then, but my consumption wasn’t as high as in later years. Before Ramadan, I bought a stash of beer which not surprisingly didn’t last long. There were workarounds such as restaurants and even weekend trips to Spain! But “luckily” I found a shop which was happy to sell me alcohol as I was clearly not taking part in the Ramadan festivities. Four or five years later, the quantities I needed would’ve made things unmanageable. Dependent drinkers/alcoholics are slaves to alcohol.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. It’s day 77.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I'm in for this, and every weekend - sober! In 7 minutes I can't have any more food or water cause of the skin graft tomorrow. Hope the hospital offers something to eat after I'm fully awake.

Ck is coming to the hospital to take me home when I'm ready to be discharged. You have to have someone with you going home. She is taking off half or the whole day tomorrow for me.

I have to check in at 7:30 am so the taxi will pick me up at 6:30. Sil offered to come over here to let Billie out on the porch potty after a few hours so she can relieve herself.
Thinking of you and sending HUGE love. s ❤️❤️
Old 03-28-2024, 07:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN! Thanks, Mags.
Good luck tomorrow, least.

I always had plans in early sobriety for any sort of holiday or social gathering. I brought my own non-alcoholic drinks (still do that sometimes) I had a way to leave on my own if I needed to, and I warned people I might have to leave early. Rarely did I need to leave early, but it did happen early on. I'd get to feeling anxious and "out of place" and have to gracefully bow out. Part of that was watching other people drink, and part of it was not really knowing how to be social and not awkward if I was sober. I got better at all of it, and really do not worry about it anymore.

Also it was really useful for me to have activities planned for the weekends - enough so that I didn't feel "empty," but not so much that it felt overwhelming. A delicate balance. I would plan to go to a meeting or two, a walk or other physical activity, a list of household chores, and then try to do something fun, like seeing my granddaughter or going out to lunch with a friend. I still structure my weekends much like this, although I do not get to meetings much these days. It's so nice to have a whole weekend without the time wasted drinking and recovering!
Old 03-28-2024, 07:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for the long weekend!

Thanks Mags! We are not short of potholes in London.

Best wishes to Mrs Dragon, a fractured rib sounds most uncomfortable. Get well soon.

Good luck with your skin graft least I hope it all goes smoothly

I have all four days off but we are busy at work and it will be open with a reduced workforce Friday, Saturday and Monday. I might go in for an hour on Saturday to make sure any payments don't get transferred to our bank as it's the end of the tax year.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am grateful and amazed to share I am one year sober today. I could not do this without the help of the people here You are all amazing thank you so much!