Notices

Weekenders, Sober Journey 08-11 March 2024

Old 03-09-2024, 04:50 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Parkruns are popular in London. I was attacked by a mob in Victoria Park earlier this morning.

Jeebus, sao! That one fellow is cheeky! That's the best pic I've seen in a while.

cheeky...that's the right word?
Old 03-09-2024, 05:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Lol Sao you made a friend!
Old 03-09-2024, 06:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Mags. I am in! I thought I needed to quit a decade or so ago but I could not imagine life without my red wine. I thought it would be so depressing and boring. But I am so glad I finally gave it up. As I have said before the thing that finally made me quit was the horrible hangxiety everyday when the alcohol wore off in the early afternoon usually and I would crave that first glass of wine at 5. I was "disciplined" and rarely drank until 5 pm. But then it would flow until I went to bed. Anyway, on days after I had had a larger than usual amount of wine the hangxiety was so bad I would have to take a xanax to calm down. I don't miss that at all. Whenever the AV strikes I remingd myself of the crippling anxiety. That usually helps tamp down the AV.

Need to catch up. But love your pic SAO.
Happy belated birthday Dragon.
Hello to all!
I am at the beach again. My happy place for the weekend.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:42 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 248 ODAAT
A parkrun sounds a lot like many fundraising "runs" do here. They are usually a 5k but could have a shorter distance for those who don't want to run. Participants will range from runners who will finish in under twenty minutes to casual walkers who could take over an hour to finish. Either way the object is usually to raise money for a cause and just completing the event is an accomplishment for all even those who merely walked it.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:32 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wow Sao!
Old 03-09-2024, 08:14 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
Thanks for the new thread Mags. I am in! I thought I needed to quit a decade or so ago but I could not imagine life without my red wine. I thought it would be so depressing and boring. But I am so glad I finally gave it up. As I have said before the thing that finally made me quit was the horrible hangxiety everyday when the alcohol wore off in the early afternoon usually and I would crave that first glass of wine at 5. I was "disciplined" and rarely drank until 5 pm. But then it would flow until I went to bed. Anyway, on days after I had had a larger than usual amount of wine the hangxiety was so bad I would have to take a xanax to calm down. I don't miss that at all. Whenever the AV strikes I remingd myself of the crippling anxiety. That usually helps tamp down the AV.

Need to catch up. But love your pic SAO.
Happy belated birthday Dragon.
Hello to all!
I am at the beach again. My happy place for the weekend.
This is me exactly. So happy that we kicked out the wine witch and found sobriety.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:16 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I pledge to a sober Saturday!
Old 03-09-2024, 08:17 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hilarious Sao Are you making a duckumentary?

Caterday Yawl

That mouse got zapped by Laser Lucy. Atta girl
Old 03-09-2024, 08:58 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Listae- good going. Your strength is amazing!
Mags- those sound fun. Wish that we had them here!
Good grief Sao. They’re so cute!
Old 03-09-2024, 01:59 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Parkruns are done in just about every country.

Ayers, you’re great to get up and out and about for any Parkrun. It doesn’t matter if you walk; it’s brilliant.

The nearest parkrun to me is a 25-minute drive, and I know a few people who go. But I rarely get up and out in time! Fair play to you, Ayers, for being motivated for this 👍
Old 03-09-2024, 02:21 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good Saturday Evening Weekenders!

It's been a busy Saturday and I'm finally getting to chill out.

I'd love to do a Parkrun but I know I wouldn't have the stamina to run 5k.Walking is an option but every event at my local Parkrun is photographed for the group Facebook page. i find that offputting. Actually, photographing events and putting it on social media seems to happen far too frequently and it puts me off getting involved in quite a few things.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:48 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

That’s a fair point, Robbie. People are supposed to ask permission about photographs. The parkruns I’ve done haven’t been photographed if I recall. There’ll be a few different parkruns in your area I’d imagine. There’s nothing wrong with walking around. I admire anyone who can get up and about for 9am on Saturday.

There’s the Couch to 5k which in theory anyone can do. I think it has its merits although it glosses over injuries that beginners can get. I used to get evil shinsplints which would’ve meant me having to stop running altogether, but a visit to a foot doc (I can never remember the proper name for this 🤣 ) and some tailor made insole fixed it. I think humans were literally born to run due to evolution - we had to run away from wolves and such things 10000 years ago.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:28 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Parkruns are done in just about every country.

Ayers, you’re great to get up and out and about for any Parkrun. It doesn’t matter if you walk; it’s brilliant.

The nearest parkrun to me is a 25-minute drive, and I know a few people who go. But I rarely get up and out in time! Fair play to you, Ayers, for being motivated for this 👍
Not in my town. 😞
Old 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Had a decent trail run today. Broke in my new shoes. Brooks Cascadia 17’s. My friend suggested them. Good for narrow feet.
I was supposed to hike with a friend afterwards. But she tripped on her concrete steps, and we had to go to the emergency room for her to get stitches. Luckily, the scans showed that everything was fine! Only three stitches I was so relieved. ❤️
My friend, whose fiancé broke up with her, is doing remarkably well. So proud to know people who handle adversity with a positive attitude. It’s a good example for me.
Going to clean the house tonight.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:56 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
That’s a fair point, Robbie. People are supposed to ask permission about photographs. The parkruns I’ve done haven’t been photographed if I recall. There’ll be a few different parkruns in your area I’d imagine. There’s nothing wrong with walking around. I admire anyone who can get up and about for 9am on Saturday.

There’s the Couch to 5k which in theory anyone can do. I think it has its merits although it glosses over injuries that beginners can get. I used to get evil shinsplints which would’ve meant me having to stop running altogether, but a visit to a foot doc (I can never remember the proper name for this 🤣 ) and some tailor made insole fixed it. I think humans were literally born to run due to evolution - we had to run away from wolves and such things 10000 years ago.
I believe that in my local Parkrun group people can ask for any photographs in which they feature to not be posted but I don't know how easy this would be when there's a lot of people in the picture and faces are partially obscured.

Surprisingly there's not that many Parkrun groups near me. I count 5 based on a postcode search which fall into an 8 mile radius and all of them require a car to get to from where I live. As I don't have a car this would be a problem. My town was supposed to get its own Parkrun event a few years ago but the only park in town which would be large enough for a 5km run is in dire need of an overhaul...

Foot doctor - chiropodist or podiatrist?

Human feet are not really meant to be encased in shoes. We spend a fortune doing this and then spend another fortune making sure that footwear has good arch support to correct problems that footwear creates... I'm more or less flat footed (I used to suffer badly from plantar fasciitis at one time) and make sure I buy shoes and trainers with good arch support which can cost a lot of money. I'll not mention brands but the trainers I buy have a tick on the side and cost about £180 a time!
Old 03-09-2024, 05:45 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"Human feet are not really meant to be encased in shoes. "

Human knees aren't evolved enough for us to walk upright yet, either. We run because we evolved chasing down prey. Well, I use "we" loosely as I don't run anymore. For anything.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:03 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
The Dog

When I was younger I enjoyed running and ran a lot. I have ran dozens of 50k's and marathons. Not to mention countless 10k and 5k's. But by the time I turned 50 the pain from running was just too much even the day after. I tell people now, if you see me running you had better run as well because there is something awfully big and mean chasing me.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:54 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

That’s funny DD. XO
Old 03-09-2024, 07:04 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Drat! Microwave is sparking/arching. I need to buy one of those replacement waveguides…
No popcorn tonight.
Wondering if I can remove the popcorn from the microwave bag and place it in a pot and just make it the old-fashioned way. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
Have a great evening everyone. Stay strong.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:35 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

^^^^ DD - this made me laugh.
If you see me run fast it will be because they're giving away free stawberry milkshakes up ahead.
SAChick - that photo of you being accosted by the mob was also very funny. Good heavens glad you made it through.
Peke - pity you don't have Parkrun in your town, but you're doing so well with all your trail runs and biking.
Robbie- I honestly don't think you need much stamina for a Parkrun. ( How do you think I manage it?) You can walk, jog or run it.
I'm doing it because my Wednesday walking group cancelled and I want to try and walk 25kms a week in total - I need those 5 ks on a Saturday.
And here, we can ask them not to take photos or not post on FB.
More for the mind in my case than anything else.
Went to the SPCA after the Parkrun and donated a 25kg bag of dogfood. Also something that made me feel better.