Old 03-09-2024, 03:56 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Robbie64

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
That’s a fair point, Robbie. People are supposed to ask permission about photographs. The parkruns I’ve done haven’t been photographed if I recall. There’ll be a few different parkruns in your area I’d imagine. There’s nothing wrong with walking around. I admire anyone who can get up and about for 9am on Saturday.

There’s the Couch to 5k which in theory anyone can do. I think it has its merits although it glosses over injuries that beginners can get. I used to get evil shinsplints which would’ve meant me having to stop running altogether, but a visit to a foot doc (I can never remember the proper name for this 🤣 ) and some tailor made insole fixed it. I think humans were literally born to run due to evolution - we had to run away from wolves and such things 10000 years ago.
I believe that in my local Parkrun group people can ask for any photographs in which they feature to not be posted but I don't know how easy this would be when there's a lot of people in the picture and faces are partially obscured.

Surprisingly there's not that many Parkrun groups near me. I count 5 based on a postcode search which fall into an 8 mile radius and all of them require a car to get to from where I live. As I don't have a car this would be a problem. My town was supposed to get its own Parkrun event a few years ago but the only park in town which would be large enough for a 5km run is in dire need of an overhaul...

Foot doctor - chiropodist or podiatrist?

Human feet are not really meant to be encased in shoes. We spend a fortune doing this and then spend another fortune making sure that footwear has good arch support to correct problems that footwear creates... I'm more or less flat footed (I used to suffer badly from plantar fasciitis at one time) and make sure I buy shoes and trainers with good arch support which can cost a lot of money. I'll not mention brands but the trainers I buy have a tick on the side and cost about £180 a time!