Notices

Class of January 2024 Support Thread Part 1

Old 01-11-2024, 05:30 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagnumCat View Post
Peke, I think that is a fabulous birthday gift to yourself for so many reasons. The most important one, is you deserve it! I hope you have many safe miles on your new wheels. 💝
Thank you sweet Magnum! I appreciate your comment.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:31 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeplorableDog View Post
For what you spent on the wheels how long do you need to be quit to recoup that money based on what you do not spend on alcohol?
Not sure DD, but that’s an excellent point! Thanks for reminding me that I’m saving $$ by being sober.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:32 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 456 Runner!
Old 01-11-2024, 05:37 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hi Dee! 👋
Haha Steely. I’m trying to stay active. Gravity wants it differently tho, lol.
Zenith I got a discount with my bike club. But wheels are around 2.6k for the front and the rear set. Yes. I know. It’s insane. 😞 My aluminum wheels weighed somewhere in the 1800-2000g range for the set. Since wheels are rotating weight the loss of even two or three hundred grams can be quite noticeable, especially at the rim itself. These new wheels weight 1200 grams. So that’s going to be a substantial improvement (I hope). We’ll see.
I don’t normally spend this kind of $$ on myself!! Truly.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Brrr it’s so cold here. Walked the dogs. Ice and frost all over the driveway.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:41 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

If you can afford it Peke I think the wheels are an excellent spend.

You are deserving, remember.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:22 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Heading to bed on day 67. I had a bad day yesterday and I went to the store to buy beer, but for the very first time in my life, the good part within sabotaged the bad part, and I didn't go through with it. Big victory for me. I also get a lot of praise from my therapist for really putting in the hard work. I can see and feel the difference, and I am so proud of myself. In three weeks my stay here will be over, and I am starting to prepare for life on the outside. I know that I can come back here soon, for two scheduled stays of two weeks each, but I also have the possibility to call in and get an emergency stay if I need it. It is so very comforting to know that I am not all alone after this.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:07 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 11 and it's a cold one. It was -30C (-22F) when I was shoveling this morning and the temperature hasn't changed all day. Right now it's -30C, but feels like -44C with the wind chill. It will be interesting to see what the temperature is tomorrow morning. The forecast for tomorrow is a high of -32C and a low of -40C and that's without the wind chill factor. 🥶 On a positive note, we just booked a trip to Mexico in October with some friends.

Hope you're all having a great day! 💝

Old 01-11-2024, 03:19 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Hi Dee! 👋
Haha Steely. I’m trying to stay active. Gravity wants it differently tho, lol.
Zenith I got a discount with my bike club. But wheels are around 2.6k for the front and the rear set. Yes. I know. It’s insane. 😞 My aluminum wheels weighed somewhere in the 1800-2000g range for the set. Since wheels are rotating weight the loss of even two or three hundred grams can be quite noticeable, especially at the rim itself. These new wheels weight 1200 grams. So that’s going to be a substantial improvement (I hope). We’ll see.
I don’t normally spend this kind of $$ on myself!! Truly.
Do not get rid of the old rims Peke. Leave the freewheel and tires on and plan on still using them. Couple of reasons. Number one the heavier rims make good training, more resistance, more gain. Then you run the lighter rims when riding with the group. Reason number two, I'm not familiar with your area but if like anywhere else you have nice roads and some roads that are not so good. Those high dollar light rims will bend and get damaged easier by potholes and stuff. If you know the group is going on some of those roads you might want to ride with the old set of rims. When I was younger I raced bicycles cat 3. I had a 1970's Schwinn Varsity that I rode a lot of long distance training rides on. I showed up on race day though riding a Cannondale. I was also a speed skater. I trained on rental skates that belonged to the skating rink most of the time. But on race day I brought my speed skates with Reidell 595 boots, Fafner bearings and Labeda wheels.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:58 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

​Checking in on day 7 and planning on continuing this way. I am exhausted tonight so a comfy chair and movie is where I am headed. Reading back everyone is sounding good and making progress, stick with your commitment and enjoy the trip forward.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:19 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

^^^ I just made you cupcakes in the 24hr connection thread

(Sorry I was late xxx ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️).
Old 01-11-2024, 10:41 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Thank you @venuscat I LOVE cupcakes you're so kind!
Old 01-12-2024, 01:10 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Committing to day 12 here.

happy Friday
Old 01-12-2024, 02:46 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 466.

Peke congrats on your new rims. Will all you’ve been through and your commitment to sobriety and fitness you deserve them. As DD said you are saving money not drinking and spending money on fitness or self care is always a positive.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:04 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Wow Magnum, -22F!
Alberta sure is brisk right now.
It's going to be in single digit F here in Buffalo area starting tomorrow.
No wonder they call us "the Miami of the North"!

Peke, well $2.6k is a bundle
but it's for your health hobby.
I estimated a few years back, that I blew about $6k a year on wine addiction and that was a cheap brand!
Enjoy the new wheels and don't feel guilty!

A bunch of running around errands today will keep me busy.
When I was drinking I put off so many things and wasted more money in the process.
For instance, I'm selling a small $15 item to a guy today( just extra clutter)
I'm returning something I didn't need to the home improvement store, another $10.
Then I have two big bags of weathered beer cans and bottles that have been outside in a bin for years, probably $5 worth(and more clutter)
That's about 30 bucks worth of stuff that I wouldn't even bother with before, because I didn't want to "waste" my time, not drinking.

Life's getting better,
I hope you're all doing well too!
Old 01-12-2024, 04:31 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
The Dog

9 degrees here now and lows are supposed to be negative for the next 4-5 nights with highs in single digits. I did semi prepare for this cold snap by ordering a part to repair my ceiling fan so I do have at least one inside project to do.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:50 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hey all day 50 here. I was discharged from the hospital on Monday still getting used to the new place. Hope you all have a lovely day x
Old 01-12-2024, 07:16 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Hey back! Misty.

Congratulations on 50 days. What wonderful news!
Old 01-12-2024, 07:47 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats everybody adding up the sober time Not so easy sometimes.

NOAA Short Range Public Discussion is a busy one with storms, wind and a freeze. Boring here with today's high 60f 16c 5 mph wind plenty of sunshine. I like it I do like the money saved by not throwing it to the winds of wine and coke. I have attempted to put a solid rubber tyre on my bicycle rear. 2 incorrect tyre delivery's returned for $$ thankfully. Doppy me would just blow it off and take the $$ hit. 3rd tire delivery, I need the Hulk to put it on. Maybe baking it in the oven at 350f will soften it up to stretch on the rim. Quality problems LOL. Just a new tube for now. I need to go for a ride get stuff and such.

Hang in there, it gets better when we feel better.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:32 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 12 and there will be no drinking today. It's -35C (-31F), but feels like -45C (-49F) with the wind chill. Good news is it didn't snow over night, so I don't need to go out in these temperatures.

Today I'm going to stay inside to organize my paperwork and get everything entered into spreadsheets so I'll be ready to do our income taxes next month. One of those jobs I would have kept putting off if I was drinking.

Have a great day everyone! 💝