Notices

Gearing up for the holidays

Old 11-18-2022, 03:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)

D
Old 11-19-2022, 06:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In my new life, I have new friends. They aren’t addicted, yet.

Thanksgiving with them, and it doesn’t bother me. I have my bubbly water or water. It’s the elixir of life for me.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank like so many here. Saturday? holiday? Happy? Sad? Relaxed? Stressed?

Oh,,,,,, drank for ALL OF IT. Daily. Never evolved to an all day drinker, but it’s waiting for me.

No thanks. This holiday season, not returning my sobriety. The user is no longer at my address (me).

Freedom for The holidays. Yay
Old 11-19-2022, 01:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm heading into my second sober round of year-end holidays and I'm just grateful. As Evoo said up at the top, drinking was part of my holiday routine, but it didn't exactly bring me any cheer. It was just like any other drinking day, with guilt afterwards, shame, headache, fatigue, and of course the chance that I'd embarrass myself by doing something stupid.

I'm happy to leave that all behind.

I also had the same experience that Fish describes, in that nobody really cared whether I was or wasn't drinking. They were all doing their own thing, whatever that was, and there wasn't some kind of committee trying to make sure I drank.

In other words, the holidays weren't a particular challenge once I realized I'm a happier person not drinking.

The trepidation I had on previous years ("but I have to drink, because of all these holiday reasons...") was literally just in my mind. They were obstacles that I created for myself. Or, in a certain parlance, those thoughts were the work of my AV, as it searched for any reason to justify continued drinking.

Now all that is gone. I'm just looking forward to putting up a Christmas tree with my son and being there for him!