Notices

Has anyone experienced this

Old 09-25-2022, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone experienced this

I feel just so calm and happy … I’m only on day 8. Granted I wasn’t drinking that much (2-4 a day)… so I didn’t go through withdraws… but I am surprised that after just 8 days I feel soooooo calm. It’s like the whole time I’ve been looking for this peace in wine but it was in me all along. It’s strange
Old 09-26-2022, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Work on Day 8!
My beginning sobriety was pretty calm. I was so happy just to be alcohol free.
Then after a while life started kicking my around a bit so my mood changed. Sometimes I got to a bad place. Sometimes just a day or 2 of the blahs.
Those are the times we lean on our support.
SR is mine and so far it has worked for 32 months straight.

My point is enjoy it. Figure out what makes you feel this way because life will throw some curve balls and we need that knowledge to get back to our happy place.
I'm not trying to discourage you or downplay these feelings because I know they are real. I am just trying to give a heads up they won't last forever. You will be tried. You won't always feel this way.

If we remain sober and do the Work we can however return to feeling this way after a struggle.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember something similar, feeling peaceful from the second the decision was made.

But, and it’s a big but, that feeling has driven me to complacency before, and I ended up drinking again.

This time round the peace has also been there from the start, but I’m remaining vigilant.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I worked the steps in alanon and still talk to my alanon sponsor everyday. I know the complacency feeling for sure and I don’t think it’s that. Because I didn’t go through withdraws (outside of insomnia and extreme hunger the first 5 days).. I think I’ve just been surprised at how at peace I feel. It comes from having conviction in my words and actions because I am present and aware (and not 2 glasses of wine in) when I’m saying things. I know it’s early on…. I for sure have had many many things life has thrown at me… death, divorce, sexual assault, 5 miscarriages and finding out I could never have children (to name a few)… I went to therapy for all of that so I have some tools in my toolbox so to speak. . I guess I’m just in awe (in a good way) about how easy it all is. Just don’t drink and things will be much better than they would have been. I have anxiety (I always have since I can remember)…. But it’s better not drinking , I have sadness but it’s manageable with out drinking. Everything is just better. It feels like a gift to not be on the Ferris wheel … that’s what feels good. Life just got a whole lot more manageable I guess is the best way of saying it. Not that it won’t be hard or have hard moments. I’m just excited
Old 09-26-2022, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Its called "the pink cloud" and can last, but often doesn't; depends on what we are doing for our recovery.

Pink Cloud: The Euphoria of Fresh Sobriety (healthline.com) (one article)
Old 09-26-2022, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. That article helped as well as everyone’s feedback. However I do feel like drinking more after reading it. I was really enjoying feeling positive.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Hold on to that positive feeling! It can be done!! Know how far you've come to today and know that every day forward is another day closer to the sober person you were meant to be!
Old 09-26-2022, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Fantastic AJ1

There is a way to float on that pink cloud and turn it into a lifelong path of growth. There will be rain and thunder along with the rainbows. I learned a lot about reliance and the desire to rise above my addiction on a cloud.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Also AJ1 the "Pink Cloud" is anecdotal: not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Hold on to that positive feeling! It can be done!! Know how far you've come to today and know that every day forward is another day closer to the sober person you were meant to be!
Thank you... I am... I decided I was going to enjoy how good and thankful I feel... even if it is a pink cloud... right now I love this pink cloud of feeling like I can think 100% clearly all the time...
Old 09-26-2022, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Also AJ1 the "Pink Cloud" is anecdotal: not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
I agree... I would way rather be in this pink cloud than drinking a pink cocktail .... I am going to stay positive. I also am in a bit of a unique situation after re reading the article.... I never stopped working or stopped doing my household responsibilities... or stopped working out... ect.... it says in that article that part of the reason people have a hard time is when they "get back to regular life"... I never stopped it... I just find it easier now that I didn't have 2-4 glasses of wine before bed ... It was like this thing I thought was making me relaxed really stealing my long term relaxation. I feel like I have a super power of additional energy and clarity now... I have a feeling that will stay. I also have been in therapy throughout my life for various things so I have done a lot of work on myself throughout the years Even when drinking wine every night I still read everything Brene Brown wrote, Eckhart Tolle...ect. I still had a really strong connection with my higher power. Life is not that much different for me ... I just feel so much better .... headaches are gone... Sleep is still messed up.. I have a feeling that will be a very long road for me. It is genetic... something both of my bio parents have and I have always had... Last night was horrible.... tossing and turning until 4am... not anxious either...just Up... it is frusterating as heck..... anyway... eating is under control now... still craving sugar more than I was before ...but I found these vegan, low calorie, all natural fudge pies... not joke... a serving is only 120 cals... and it is a decent size.. I think it is saving my waist line.... anyway... thank you for your perspective
Old 09-26-2022, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I'm glad that you are feeling so much better. It is a blessing to find peace early on!

Many people experience a temporary "pink cloud" when they find sobriety, but realize after a while that, there were, in fact, reasons for their drinking/drug use.

This was true for me. Addiction left me broken and hurt and terrified. Sobriety restored my belief in myself. Still, after a bit, I had to really assess WHAT the heck had happened!?!?! What was I running from? Why was I compelled to numb myself?

Those questions (and answers) definitely added some tinges of blue into my cloud (maybe it's purple now?). Still, they were important and meaningful, and I am better off for having asked them.

In my opinion, the point of recovery is not perpetual happiness or boundless positivity. It is an authentic and meaningful life, filled with appreciation for the myriad gifts we are granted by God and hard work. If you start feeling less WONDERFUL at some point in the future, it doesn't mean you are failing. If you find that your path becomes difficult, it doesn't mean you are doing something wrong.

For now, appreciate all this goodness! I hope that it is a long-term companion!
Take care!
-TC