Notices

Hey all

Old 09-23-2022, 06:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I started my recovery in AA, but for me, what seemed to help was the recognition that I needed to quit for good, and that it was not a matter of getting my drinking under control. It had to be all or nothing, and that is true for all alcoholics, regardless of what program we are in. This of course requires a firm commitment. I was able to make that commitment because I was disgusted with the direction my life was starting to go. Disgusted, frightened, and horrified. That was my motivation. Many of us don't have to get to that point where a firm commitment is made, but that commitment is essential.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the recognition that I needed to quit for good
It’s not so much a lightbulb moment as an “oh sh1t” moment. I can now say from experience, stopping drinking is just like realising a long-term relationship has ended. It really is that big a deal.

And what people often don’t get is that stopping drinking requires big big life changes elsewhere. I’m constantly perplexed by some people - who’ll probably read this - who try and try to quit without changing anything else. The level of upheaval in stopping drinking is about the same as moving house or even moving abroad. It’s not like buying a pair of socks or trying a new brand of shampoo. It’s big
Old 09-23-2022, 10:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Prop. Great to hear from you.
I was anxious & disoriented for a while right after quitting. It's quite an adjustment we're making, even though we know we must do it. It definitely gets easier as the sober time adds up. I felt stronger & less vulnerable - and then I started to really appreciate my new freedom. You'll get there.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The best thing I have got out of going to AA so far was listening to other people with similar stories. Knowing that they get it is important. Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
kes

Hi Prop,

I'm on 50mg of naltrexone and I've found it helpe a huge amount. At first, I wasn't sure it had any effect until I stopped it for 2 days. The cravings were massive so I started taking it again and they diminished significantly.

At at the end of a PM anytime you want to discuss.

Cheers;Prop
Old 09-26-2022, 09:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 4. Got insomnia last night. Didn't get any sleep just had a lot of anxiety. Had to take another day off work. Which isn't great but it's much better than going in without having slept. I am going to see the doctor today. I will see if I can get a script for a mild sedative or similar.

I start therapy next month with an addiction counsellor. Onwards and upwards.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I knew my boss had been getting really annoyed at me. He is a lot like me. Just get angry at the person who is irritating you. So I prodded him and he came back with a list of grievances. LOL. It's a list I can work with progress comes in many forms right?

Have a good evening all.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's a great response to your boss's list, Plop.

Really happy for you that you've made some calls for help. That first week was pretty brutal for me, and I'm guessing for most people quitting a substance. Hang on, you're gonna be okay!
Old 09-29-2022, 05:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Realised that I am actually on day 7. Which is the longest I have been sober this year. Still feeling a bit scattered/unfocused. Been getting some cravings the last few days. First thing in the morning mainly. Glad I have the naltrexone.

Have a good evening all.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

👍
Old 09-30-2022, 02:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I went to meetings for several months when I was newly sober. They helped for the most part.

I listened to YouTube "nature sounds" videos. They run for several hours. I also listened to only classical instrumental music. I couldn't even listen to any other music. Too rattled.

The walks became a necessary and super helpful thing for me. That and good nutrition, lots of water and trying to get sleep when my body would let me. I stayed away from the news and social media other than this site.

I'm really happy for you. Stay committed and stay vigilant.

One day at a time.
I have found that listening to sounds of rain vids on YouTube is helping me get to sleep. There is something very soothing about it.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

8 days. Still getting anxiety. My doc prescribed me temazepam which I took a few times to help me sleep but it's a benzo...so it's addictive. Rock and a hard place....

I will try and stick with the rain sound vids on YouTube for helping me sleep. Making sure I get in my 10000 daily steps probably helps too.

Night all.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sleep was SUCH a big thing for me early on. It was hard for me to function. I'd stay up for 24 hours straight tossing and turning. If I could sleep, it was sections @ a time. I was a zombie for a bit. I was very unproductive, but I simply ate what I could and binged on netflix doing minimal things for a few days. Sleep will come. Just keep trudging. Melatonin WITH Theanine helped me. The theanine was crucial in that mix. Melatone alone didn't help much. Also hot tea @ night. Usually sleepytime tea. Keep going, it gets better.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing well, Prop. Yes, you can get through the anxiety and learn to manage it, and as you said, exercise will really help with this.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Prop well done, 8 days sober after a year of trying. Keep that sober energy flowing. 😎 You got this!
Old 10-01-2022, 01:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks. I think I am going OK. Still getting some cravings. Decided not to take a temazepam last night even though I couldn't sleep. Still got my 10000 steps in. Feeling really tired hopefully I can get a good night's sleep tonight.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Prop, well done on 8 days sober. I think the cravings will get less and less intrusive. I noticed quite a difference at around 14 days.

Being sober will start to feel like the new normal as time goes by and your body heals itself. It’s a bit like going overseas and having to drive on the other side of the road. It just takes a bit of getting used to.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Woke up this morning and so far no anxiety. Might try and catch up with some people today.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

What an awesome week. My screw ups at work while hungover came back and bit me on Monday. My boss told me he is not happy with my performance and gave me two weeks to improve. Despite wrestling with some crushing anxiety and lack of sleep I think I did. I wanted a drink so badly tonight. Ended up going for a long drive instead. Now i am waiting on a pizza delivery then I am going to watch rings of power.

My job is demanding. There is a lot of pressure to deliver. The boss was not happy about all those days I took off while starting to dry out either. As of now I am still employed and sober.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:35 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Looks like the universe is giving you a hand up.
Take it and make the best of it.