Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Cutesy bourgeois stories/hardline abstinence stances depress me

Notices

Cutesy bourgeois stories/hardline abstinence stances depress me

Old 05-22-2022, 11:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Some really interesting replies here, thanks guys and gals. You're all now helping me try to walk the line (deliberate metaphor because I re-watched that film recently and forgot how much I loved it)
Old 05-22-2022, 11:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess people tell us only what they want us to know.

None of us can know the pain in another's heart.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey, Tetrax, this is intended to cheer you up, and to let you know you are not alone. A lot of us have been on the bones of our arse Tet. But onwards we push.

They reckon alcohol is the "the great leveller". It cuts through class at every turn. And in some ways the more dough a person has the more reluctant they are to seek help.

All we've got to do is get sober Tet.

It's pretty classy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOP0Lj1DQG0
Old 05-22-2022, 04:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
That's fine but I'm sick of middle class people whining about drinking a wee bit too much wine. I just can't relate.
Exactly how I felt in the first couple of weeks in outpatient. Eventually, I realized that I'm not them. Everyone has those pesky skeletons in their closet...so to speak.
We were all in it for sobriety and to end dependence on alcohol. Some made it, while others didn't. The ones that did-- and remain so-- are alcohol abstinent. It's your personal journey, friend.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There is as much disparity of circumstance amongst alcoholics as in any other walk of life. Some of us might live in 'nice' homes, with jobs or partners, kids, pets and we may have enough money to not worry too much. Some of us may not live so comfortably or easily. But sadly that is the world we live in - unequal.
The old saying you should not judge a book by its cover springs to mind, We don't know each others history or the 'whole story' we only know what is written here.
It's not a competition to see who was the hardest drinker, or sunk the lowest, or who drank what - That doesn't really matter. We are all here for one reason, we do or have drunk too much and want to stop and stay alive.

But I liked your post Tetrax because it reminds me that we do live in an unequal society and alcohol is one of the ways that keeps it unequal, because people are too pi**ed to care. Marx said that 'religion was the opium of the people', or is it Alcohol that is the opium of the people - being an alcoholic is never going to end well , whether you are rich or poor, drinking too much wont change society, but stopping drinking altogether might.