Notices

I have made it to year 9 , just!

Old 02-01-2022, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I have made it to year 9 , just!

This year has been hard to stay sober! I don't particularly know why, maybe i was expecting that in time being an alcoholic would fade, the longer I was sober. Its my birthday today of 9 years sobriety. I have started more frequently to think about having a cold beer or a glass of wine on a hot summers day to enable me to relax. I question , have I changed ? could I drink normally? The reality is I realise I have to work harder to stay sober, I am hoping this will pass , as it has before. Amen.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi George from down under!

HUGE congrats !

Nope, once we become a pickle, we can’t go back to being a cucumber.

Glad you’re here, your soul is begging you NOT TO GO ‘THERE’. Hell. Drinking hell.

Take a search read and put in “relapse”. I haven’t read ANY posts where someone went back and controlled it, or were glad they did.

The book “Alcohol Explained” is excellent, you can read 30 pages for free online, or get the book instantly for like $12 US.

Stay strong, use those tools, don’t get fooled by the beast.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

9 years - how fabulous, George. Thanks for sharing the good news.

I made the mistake of thinking I would have control after 3 yrs. sober. Surely I had learned a lesson?! NO - no, I did not. I was right back to my old ways before long. This time it was much harder to regain my sobriety. I almost didn't make it. This won't happen to you!
Old 02-01-2022, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nine years is great! I am glad you came here to share the good news.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on year nine George

First off that "cold beer or a glass of wine on a hot summers day" may sound appealing but that wasn't the reality of my drinking, and I doubt it was yours either.

My reality was drinking too much, embarrassing myself, and having to be carried home, or continuing drinking heavily on a weeks long bender.

Play the tape through to the end as they say - and don't confuse abstinence for control. They are not the same thing.

In a wider sense, for me, I had to do more than just not drinking.
I'm wondering in what other ways you've changed your life?

Drinking became my one and only solution to everything.
The more other solutions I found, the less that drinking solution seemed appealing.

Maybe this is a good chance to figure out what's bothering you and find a better non alcoholic way to deal with it?
If you find it hard to relax - what have tried so far?

D
Old 02-01-2022, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had over a decade sober and decided to try it again. A couple years later I was broke, had two DUIs, and at one point was considering suicide.

Don't make the same mistake I did. It's just not worth the risk.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nine years is wonderful - and Thank Goodness you posted so that you can read your replies and ponder how you must never succumb to that summer day/cold beer/wine fantasy so many of have/have had....it's just not real!
Nine years is fantastic!
Old 02-01-2022, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 9 years of recovery. I'm sorry things seem hard right now. Can you think of anything you can add to your recovery plan that will help you get past this?
Old 02-01-2022, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That’s fantastic, George. Well done!

But yikes! How scary is that! 9 years and still having the odd craving. We all need to be vigilant. Thanks for the reminder 👍
Old 02-01-2022, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is great ! I have 9 years too. I stopped drinking the day I joined sober recovery in October 2012. I NEVER thought I would last as long as I have. My heart is bursting with gratitude as I am sure yours is too. I share your feelings of joy and freedom from the bondage of drunkenness. I can't believe how self reliant I have become over the years. I know what you mean about thinking about having a drink this past year. I still say out loud " I will NEVER drink again!". I learned that sober hack from this place the first couple days I started posting and reading the forums. It really works for me. I am so happy for you.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 years! That's fantastic. I am wondering what made this year the hardest one, was it outside stressors and what can you change to move forward solidly in your wonderful sobriety? Good work, you are an inspiration.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9 years!

Yes a nice glass of wine sitting in the shade on a hot day sounds a perfect way to relax. But what happens when you finish the glass, will you happily go on with your day, or will you want more? Maybe just finish the bottle as it's open now.

Tomorrow comes, a nice glass of wine would be nice, sitting in the shade (again), may as well finish the bottle. Enjoy

One month on, a bottle of wine would be nice, oh that hardly touched the sides. Better get two...

Six months on two bottles of wine to start then some vodka as you can't get the buzz.

Alcoholism is progressive not recessive.

Keep those flood gates firmly closed.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nine whole years of living a full and wholesome life! That’s amazing!! You should be very proud of yourself. 👏👏👏

I love the analogy about the pickle and the cucumber. I’ll be pinching that!! 🥒
Old 02-01-2022, 11:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by George16 View Post
This year has been hard to stay sober! I don't particularly know why, maybe i was expecting that in time being an alcoholic would fade, the longer I was sober. Its my birthday today of 9 years sobriety. I have started more frequently to think about having a cold beer or a glass of wine on a hot summers day to enable me to relax. I question , have I changed ? could I drink normally? The reality is I realise I have to work harder to stay sober, I am hoping this will pass , as it has before. Amen.
Congrats! Nine Years is EPIC!

I'm in a similar situation, just over nine years. In the last eight or so I can't say as I've had a lot of cravings but the drinking dreams have never totally gone away! I'll go maybe six months without one and think maybe I've moved on to a new phase of sobriety only to get whacked by one again. At least now I kind of 'lucid dream' my drinking dreams; I'll know in the dream that I'm only dreaming and still actually sober. But it's kind of rattling at times.

You're right, when it's hot I can image how a nice glass of chilled Chardonnay would be! And on rare occasions I'll recall how nice a bone dry Cab would be with a good steak. But for me those thoughts are kind of like watching a sci-fi film. I mean, it would be cool to have a lightsaber or to be able to transport like on the Enterprise but it's just a fantasy. Booze just can't be part of my life. Another nine years from now if I'm still alive will be 18 years sober but I'm confident I'll have no more ability to drink in moderation then as I did 20 years ago.

The big difference now vs eight years ago is that those thoughts don't fill me with sorrow anymore. What I do is maybe a cliche but it's play the tape forward. I know how it will end because of how it ended every time for 25 years. If you struggle, that's what SR is for! Coming back here reminds me of what I've gained but also of what I have to lose by going back out there. My life isn't perfect but it's an amazing gift compared to where I'd be if I hadn't found SR.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 years.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9 years George. I hope to be able to say same for myself in 7 years time. I am now 2 years sober and so very grateful.

I picked up after 5 years George and it didn't work. I wanted the white wine in the sun, but the sun went down, everyone left the picnic, and I was still drinking. It was horrible and I appreciate these 2 years like no other. Don't lose your 9 years George it is something to cherish. The AV is a fantacist.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am reminded of the following admonition in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous:

"It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition."

I could not stay sober till I completely gave myself to the spiritual program of action set forth in A.A. Before that, I relapsed three times after being sober two years or more. Today, my spiritual program of action consists of: (1) regular A.A. meeting attendance, (2) on-going step-work, and (3) on-going service-work.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further about any of that.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I really appreciate the guidance, advice and best wishes from all , its helped me gain serenity and cleared a fog xx
Old 02-02-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I too love the pickle and cucumber analogy

I too have 9 years, it'll be 10 this June. We've come so far and we already know what lies behind.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9 years sober! You will never regret staying sober. Like has been said one cold glass of beer or wine in the sun is a myth for an alcoholic (certainly this one anyway).