Notices

Weird breathing thing when hungover

Old 01-16-2022, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weird breathing thing when hungover

Not asking for medical advice, but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced something similar.

So after a binge session (Monday, Thursday and Saturday - 12-15 beers in a day) I will wake up hungover on the off days of course. I drink a bunch of water and eat all day and feel crappy all day and then later in the day I get extremely tired like cant keep my eyes open and as I dose off, I will wake up gasping for air as if I was holding my breath. This ONLY happens when hungover, I go weeks sober sometimes or even days and it only happens when hungover. Has anyone else experienced this? I am pushing hard to quit before my 40th birthday here in a few days! I have been at this for nearly 20 years and it's gone on way too long.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spybee007 View Post
Not asking for medical advice, but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced something similar.

So after a binge session (Monday, Thursday and Saturday - 12-15 beers in a day) I will wake up hungover on the off days of course. I drink a bunch of water and eat all day and feel crappy all day and then later in the day I get extremely tired like cant keep my eyes open and as I dose off, I will wake up gasping for air as if I was holding my breath. This ONLY happens when hungover, I go weeks sober sometimes or even days and it only happens when hungover. Has anyone else experienced this? I am pushing hard to quit before my 40th birthday here in a few days! I have been at this for nearly 20 years and it's gone on way too long. The breathing thing didn't start until maybe a few years ago.
I am NOT a doctor, but I have been down this road for some time now.

The extreme lethargy, the tiredness, not being able to keep your eyes open, is a sign of liver damage. You may cirrhosis of the liver. I have it from 25+ years of heavy drinking. The gasping for air, not sure, but have low oxygen in your blood could be related to liver damage. Alcohol destroys our blood over time. It can't do it's job. I have enlarged blood cells related to my cirrhosis, I understand that my blood cells couldn't carry oxygen as well after the liver damage, so they grow larger to try to carry more oxygen to the cells.

You need to see a doctor my friend. Please stop drinking. Please read Alcohol Explained by William Porter. That book and this forum helped me turn the corner and quit for over 7 months now. Please get some medical help. You can live your life without booze.

-Max
Old 01-16-2022, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m not offering a diagnosis but I had drinking and being overweight be a contributor to sleep apnea which happened to me just as you described. I use a mouth guard plus not drinking and losing weight to control it. I agree you should see a doctor.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying and I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I wish you the best of health and sobriety. I don't have the extreme lethargy on sober days and my oxygen levels are always between 96-97% even when I am experiencing these episodes. I have been to the doctor as recently as a few months ago and my liver panels are good/normal. Do you have high blood pressure? I know that can be a symptom of liver damage as well. My blood pressure is ideal as well. I don't doubt that I have cause damage to my liver, but I don't think I am at cirrhosis stage...yet. I will check out that book for sure and thanks for recommending it. Congrats on 7 months, that is huge!
Old 01-16-2022, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott, I was thinking it may be apnea as well. Did you do a sleep study to get the diagnosis? I should schedule one. I am about 28 lbs overweight for my height most definitely from drinking and diet. Also, was the mouth guard prescribed, or can you buy over the counter?
Old 01-16-2022, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads Spybee.

I sometimes suffer from hypnic jerks - muscle contractions that will sometimes wake me up suddenly and make me kind of gasp in shock.

Of course I suffer from that kind of thing when awake too and I’ve been sober for 15 years

seeing a Dr is the only real way you’ll know what your problem is, but if this only occurs when you’re drinking, that’s another reason to give sobriety a red hot go?

D
Old 01-16-2022, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks to share our experience…no diagnoses please

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...al-advice.html (Reminder On Medical Advice.)

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 01-16-2022, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I merged your two threads Spybee.

I sometimes suffer from hypnic jerks - muscle contractions that will sometimes wake me up suddenly and make me kind of gasp in shock.

Of course I suffer from that kind of thing when awake too and I’ve been sober for 15 years

seeing a Dr is the only real way you’ll know what your problem is, but if this only occurs when you’re drinking, that’s another reason to give sobriety a red hot go?

D
I have that too on hangover days, specifically my left foot feels like it wants to move upward on its own. But yeah, all signs pointing to enough and I will quit today. It's hard today too, I am in that mode where I am fighting my mind with everything not to hop in the car and go get a 15 pack. Stupid excuses like well it's only 4 days until your birthday, you can get one more in. Then I think about how I will feel tomorrow and have the breathing thing along with tons of guilt and then argue back and forth like that all day. I have not gone to the store and will keep pushing not to. I still feel like crap from my binge on Friday, a little shakey (not physically, but feel like it) and a little foggy and down.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol-induced sleep isn’t real sleep, so it’s probably normal tiredness. You’re going to feel bad drinking 12 beers regardless.

I’m sure if you carry on drinking like that, there’ll be health problems in a few years. It’s worth stopping 100% before that happens, don’t you think?
Old 01-16-2022, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spybee007 View Post
Thanks Scott, I was thinking it may be apnea as well. Did you do a sleep study to get the diagnosis? I should schedule one. I am about 28 lbs overweight for my height most definitely from drinking and diet. Also, was the mouth guard prescribed, or can you buy over the counter?
I did have a home sleep study and it was diagnosed as mild sleep apnea. The mouth piece was dentist built so I did have a prescription. It was very expensive and insurance didn’t cover it for me. You can just buy them but I wanted it fit correctly.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

In my experience that is a myoclonic jerk. General harmless and common but talk to your doctor to find the reasons you're having them
Old 01-16-2022, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
In my experience that is a myoclonic jerk. General harmless and common but talk to your doctor to find the reasons you're having them
experience for me, seems to happen when I have had a panic or anxiety attack.