Notices

Seduced into taking a drink.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

LOL, Thrillhou!
Old 01-08-2022, 05:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What a timely post for me dustyfox!
Yesterday marked 2 years and a half since my last drink. It was a perfect day. Went to work, and then my husband had gifted me with dance classes. Went for that and then had a dinner date with him planned. After the dance class I had to go to the toilet and had time to kill before dinner. Went to a pub and almost asked for a beer! From absolutely nowhere. I had no thoughts of drinking earlier, was just happy about my 30 months sober and my class and my dinner date. But almost blew it. I ordered a lemonade (in a similar situation I would have normally had a AF beer, but felt for the first time this was dangeround under the circs.) went to dinner and had a lovely evening. This morning I wondered 'what if...' and then I read your post. This is what.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2022, 05:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I realised something today, I realised that we can not give our lives away anymore to drinking.
I had the realization too. If anyone wants to stay sober, that realization is vital. Any thoughts that a perfect evening makes us immune to our alcoholism is a delusion. If "delusion" sounds too harshly psychiatric, let's say believing we can drink without consequences is just a false perception. No matter when we believe that or what environment causes us to believe that, it is as absurd as believing we can stick our hands in fire. It's a myth, and myths, by definition are not real.

After I survived and did NOT drink after experiencing one of those, it helped me realize I would never want another drink in my life. No evening in a paradise will be made better with alcohol. Why take that drink when the situation is already perfect? What is the upside?

I remember a guy saying one time, "No situation is so BAD that alcohol can't make it worse." That applies when the situation nears perfection: "No situation is so GOOD that alcohol can't make it worse."
Old 01-08-2022, 09:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for your concern, Hodd. I am in such a great place compared to where I was almost 4 years ago. I forget how horrible it was and how dysfunctional I had become. How much I really disliked myself and the awful shame I felt . I am doing amazing now. So amazing that I think "remember what it was like to celebrate with a drink?". One of the things I have found on this journey is that it takes awhile to settle back into myself and really accept the fact that sometimes I will feel a bit down and restless. During my drinking days I cured this by drinking. This is not an option for me! I live on a 9 acre farm in Ontario where I enjoy many activities! My yoga is riding my horse. She makes me focus on her to get the most out of our ride. This is so great for my mind and body!
Old 01-08-2022, 11:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That’s great, Gettingcloser.

Horses, yoga, sewing, fishing, etc. It’s all good. I’m rubbish at yoga, but I’ve improved a lot. I sometimes arrive at yoga with my thoughts all over the place. When anyone gets to that stage, they need to chill for an hour or two, and surprisingly yoga does it for me. Running and gym keep me fit too, but my mind will still often be in overdrive.

We all need a little escape at least once a week. Those who can truly meditate are incredibly fortunate. I normally last 3 seconds 🤣
Old 01-08-2022, 03:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Lol Thrillhou - sorry to disappoint you.....!
Old 01-09-2022, 10:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh this is a great post - and so beautifully written.

Similar stories here... most memorable was after a sober 90 days doing "p90x" - looked great, felt great, and fell right back into heavy drinking within a very short time. Back then I wasn't framed to identify and separate from my AV, so I fell right back into old habits.