Notices

Day 19 - met a truly good person !

Old 01-09-2022, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19 - met a truly good person !

So I went to buy some flowers, and because I have no self-control, I also bought some bulbs. But the daft girl put them in a flimsy plastic bag and half way home it broke scattering the pots and soil all over pavement. Whilst I was swearing/wanting to cry, a lovely guy came out of a beauty salon he was renovating… helped me pick everything up and went in and got one of the salon’s bags (complete with fancy netting inside) and put the bulbs inside. He was Eastern European and didn’t speak any English but comforted me in soothing vernacular tones whilst I said ‘Thank you sooooo much’ about 10 times with added ‘thank you’ gesticulations ! A true knight in shining armour ! If I had been drinking 1) I wouldn’t have gone to buy flowers and 2) I would have probably thanked the guy in a cursory manner but not really taken on board what a truly kind thing he did ! My gratitude list tonight is going to be easy ! :-)
Old 01-09-2022, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you ran into that kind gentleman who helped you. I've always said there are more good people in the world than bad people, but the good people don't get noticed as much cause they're quieter. The bad people make a lot of noise.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh and I had nearly 9 hours sleep last night after averaging around 4 for weeks ! Hurray!
Old 01-09-2022, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is so cool!!!! I think its the little things that people do to help each other that makes the difference. It's so easy to get jaded by all the news on the media. I think most people are kind and helpful and only want to be good people. Think of all the people that volunteer at different organizations to help people in need. these people work under the radar and get no recognition for what they do. Besides doctors and nurses during covid, these are the unsung heros. The old saying that it takes a village to raise a child should include it takes a village to step up and help others in need. John
Old 01-09-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's fantastic, Ican! What a nice guy.. Happy for you in all respects!
Old 01-09-2022, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a great story Ican.

It's the little things, hey? Those gestures of kindness that make it all worthwhile. May your bulbs grow strong.

Congrats on 19 days Ican!
Old 01-09-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
If I had been drinking 1) I wouldn’t have gone to buy flowers and 2) I would have probably thanked the guy in a cursory manner …
Seems to be the way. When we quit drinking, things often somehow just seem to work out better. As you said, you made your own luck today by going out to buy flowers. Certainly since I quit, it’s not all been fairy tales, but I’ve had more lucky breaks in the last three years than ever. You’re doing great.