Notices

Please tell me why I should quit

Old 10-03-2021, 12:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

• You won't have to constantly worry about where your next drink comes from
  • You'll save money
  • You don't risk permanently damaging your organs, including your brain
  • You will feel better (might take time, and remember - sober life is full of ups and downs, a drunk life is just a downwards spiral)
  • Your mind will be clearer
  • You don't have to worry or feel shameful for any stupid things you may have done while drunk - maybe in the beginning, but it's never too late to redeem yourself
  • You lose the risk of damaging yourself or others because of alcohol (ie. accidents), or worst case scenario, killing yourself or others.

There are different kind of alcoholics, some are functioning, can work and pretty much live a normal life on the premise that they have to keep drinking. Some get violent, abusive. Some are bar hoppers, some just drink alone. Most lose contact with their friends and family, whether it be from disputes or because you just don't care about social interaction when you're drinking.

I don't know what you are, but I'm pretty sure the above points applies to just about everyone who realize they have a problem. The shame and worry may not apply to those who are alcoholics, but don't think they are, and are/or denying it.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:04 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
  • You won't have to constantly worry about where your next drink comes from.
Definitely. You probably meant this in a financial way. I’d also add the logistical effort required. The amount of planning a drinker does is phenomenal. I’d check if a restaurant had beer before anything else. I remember being abroad with my wife and inlaws at a very nice restaurant where the alcohol was astronomically expensive. I went into a mood as a result but remembered there was a golf club next door with - you guessed it - a bar. So I’d disappear for a few beers every now and then. It was obviously noticed, and to my credit I gave the exact reason why, but what an ar5ehole way to behave. Life’s so much easier and better now.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Thanks all! I have finally made the decision to quit, and I'm on day 3 now. Feeling good about it, loving waking up with no hangover.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

That is awesome, It took me a while to finally stop. I am on day 25 and feeling great. Some days are easier then others regarding the cravings so what I do is just try to keep myself busy and the cravings go away in a little bit of time. Not giving into my cravings makes me proud and happy. You can do this!
Old 10-26-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
That is awesome, It took me a while to finally stop. I am on day 25 and feeling great. Some days are easier then others regarding the cravings so what I do is just try to keep myself busy and the cravings go away in a little bit of time. Not giving into my cravings makes me proud and happy. You can do this!
Thanks! Keeping myself busy should not be a problem, we're renovating an old house, I have a huge stack of books I want to read and I am writing myself. Plus, there are too many TV shows I need to catch up on. I think this is going to work out this time.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:32 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Not giving into my cravings makes me proud and happy.
This is so important. Once I committed to permanent recovery, I began to experience gobs of unexpected pride over what I had done and pride in myself (those two things are probably the same thing, but whatever). Pride is NOT a deadly sin. That is entirely a matter of context. Enjoy it, and don't let go of it.