Notices

senior citizens

Old 09-04-2021, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

senior citizens

I really feel sorry for older people struggling to stay sober. Many people feel age doesn't matter but it does. Many older people have lost their family and friends, and have to rely on their own resources to stay sober. Studies show older people are more isolated and are more prone to drug and alcohol abuse. Some people might say that there are many resources for older people to connect with others, but it's just not true, especially during covid. Many older people have to rely on their own resources to get by. I used to drive people to AA meetings cause they couldn't do it themselves. There were others that were so disabled, they couldn't even get in the car. Some people were in wheelchairs and couldn't get transportation. The way social services work nowadays, you have to be seriously financially strapped before they will help. A person with an addiction doesn't figure into there formula.
I am very lucky to be able to be an older person and not have to deal with the pain and lonliness these people are going through. I know my day will come, and I will be in the same situation. When that day comes, I expect to take my life, cause there is nothing left. John
Old 09-04-2021, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live in a block with a lot of older people, mostly disabled.
I'm not as badly off as some with mobility issues so I always try and help my neighbours out when I can - small things but it can mean a world of difference.

I hope you're doing ok yourself John

D
Old 09-04-2021, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion here ….

Could the folks volunteer to “take” those unable to travel, to an AA ZOOM Meeting instead?

The volunteer could bring their own iPad etc to the persons home. 💻

Spending the hour with the older AA member. Maybe even offer to bring the coffee & snack? ☕️🍩
Old 09-04-2021, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

John, are you doing ok?

Yes, it is sad for the many people of the world who are suffering. It’s not a guarantee that we will suffer, however. I try to live my life as best I can today, to show some light to others in small ways through random acts of kindness, and let the things I cannot control to the universe.

Prayers to you, you sound like a wonderful person who has many others.

glad you posted.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((John))) There is always something left, as long as we can draw a breath. There is always something.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that older people who may be struggling with addictions are in a very isolating place. I cant imagine how lonely and desperate it must feel. For many I suppose even an online forum would be something they might not be able to access. I can only hope their G.P's are aware and signpost them to support and help.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with what Least said, John.
Nice of you to think of the older people. I know a few heavy drinkers who are retired. Without having to worry about work the next day - they are having drinking problems for the first time.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I agree with what Least said, John.
Nice of you to think of the older people. I know a few heavy drinkers who are retired. Without having to worry about work the next day - they are having drinking problems for the first time.
Sometimes, older people without support wan't even get proper medical care. For example; ;I can't get a colonoscapy (sp), cause I don't have anyone to stay with me after the procedure. I ended up in an ER several year ago due to severe burns. The doctor couldn't believe I had nobody to help me with this, and that was a doctor. It's no wonder seniors deal with their alcohol and drug problems with no help. I'm not sure what I will do once I am unable to care for myself and need help. That's why I'm looking into senior retirement communities that offer medical care plus social activities. There very expensive but It's my only option. Otherwise, I just see myself as a dead man walking. Poor seniors have few options. Without support, they. are toast. Probably why they drink themselves to death. John
Old 09-05-2021, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry John. Here in Australia there are seniors groups that can help you with day to day things, and organise social things.
It might be good to check things like that out in your city - they should still be going, even in a pandemic?

D
Old 09-05-2021, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you considered another country once covid is over? I have spent a lot of time overseas in the past 10 years and you could live like a king in many parts of Southeast Asia and Mexico on what is a very basic income here. In those parts of the world there is much less of an age bias because they value the wisdom of older people. And the people themselves are happier and live in the moment. Quite frankly, the way we treat older people in the US sucks, especially those who don't have many family or friends.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Have you considered another country once covid is over? I have spent a lot of time overseas in the past 10 years and you could live like a king in many parts of Southeast Asia and Mexico on what is a very basic income here. In those parts of the world there is much less of an age bias because they value the wisdom of older people. And the people themselves arepier and live in the moment. Quite frankly, the way we treat older people in the US sucks, especially those who don't have many family or friends.
Yes!! I was seriously considering moving to a different several years ago. Traveled many times to Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama. The only reason I gave up on the idea was health care in those countries. I've read mixed reviews of their services, and private healthcare can be very expensive. If I was covered through Medicare, I'd have moved a long time ago. John
Old 09-06-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Sometimes, older people without support wan't even get proper medical care. For example; ;I can't get a colonoscapy (sp), cause I don't have anyone to stay with me after the procedure. I ended up in an ER several year ago due to severe burns. The doctor couldn't believe I had nobody to help me with this, and that was a doctor. It's no wonder seniors deal with their alcohol and drug problems with no help. I'm not sure what I will do once I am unable to care for myself and need help. That's why I'm looking into senior retirement communities that offer medical care plus social activities. There very expensive but It's my only option. Otherwise, I just see myself as a dead man walking. Poor seniors have few options. Without support, they. are toast. Probably why they drink themselves to death. John
I know it is hard for seniors especially with COVID. There is so much isolation. Here in GA all of the senior centers are closed for now. It's hard and I completely understand your loneliness. Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and take a risk. I know it is hard and if you get shot down you may need to do it again. I have a older neighbor who I don't know that well and like you he has no family. He has asked several times for me to take him to colonoscopy or surgery. He just needs someone to drive home after procedure. Do you live have any neighbors you could ask? Any retired neighbors you could ask to take you to appointment. I have several older friends who i love to help out. People are generally good and do want to help you just have to put yourself out there. People won't come knocking at your door. Best to you.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
I know it is hard for seniors especially with COVID. There is so much isolation. Here in GA all of the senior centers are closed for now. It's hard and I completely understand your loneliness. Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and take a risk. I know it is hard and if you get shot down you may need to do it again. I have a older neighbor who I don't know that well and like you he has no family. He has asked several times for me to take him to colonoscopy or surgery. He just needs someone to drive home after procedure. Do you live have any neighbors you could ask? Any retired neighbors you could ask to take you to appointment. I have several older friends who i love to help out. People are generally good and do want to help you just have to put yourself out there. People won't come knocking at your door. Best to you.
I am way overdue for a colonoscopy cause I have nobody that can take me to the hospital, stay there then drive me home. The hospital won't accept an uber ride. They have to see a real person who will do it. Asking a stranger to do this sounds a little risky. Been looking into senior support, but so far, got nothing.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Yes!! I was seriously considering moving to a different several years ago. Traveled many times to Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama. The only reason I gave up on the idea was health care in those countries. I've read mixed reviews of their services, and private healthcare can be very expensive. If I was covered through Medicare, I'd have moved a long time ago. John
It might be a good idea to do a little research. I can't say for sure but I've read that Belize has good healthcare, low cost of living and a large expat community of Americans. Something to consider at least! There has to be some good options. I'm only in my early 50s but I can relate. When I had to get surgery on my shoulder I was required to have someone that would drive me home and stay with me for at least 24 hours. A friend of mine actually drove from out of state to do it! Kind of embarrassing that I don't have anyone closer but my family lives 1,000 miles away and I've only lived here a few years (and Covid shut down 1.5 of those years).
Old 09-07-2021, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Global health insurance coverage is far less expensive than US health plans, due to our exorbitant medical costs here. Available through Cigna, Allianz, Blue Cross and many others. About $200-250/mo. If you want US coverage included it doubles it. As an example of costs in other countries, I had a full knee MRI in the Philippines, with two doctors visits to review. Cost was under $400. A normal doctors visit with a prescription is $20-30. In Thailand I had a gold crown for 1/3rd the US cost. I was able to buy a medication over the counter for almost nothing. I forget what it was but they have pharmacies in every neighborhood practically.