Thread: senior citizens
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2muchpain

senior citizens

I really feel sorry for older people struggling to stay sober. Many people feel age doesn't matter but it does. Many older people have lost their family and friends, and have to rely on their own resources to stay sober. Studies show older people are more isolated and are more prone to drug and alcohol abuse. Some people might say that there are many resources for older people to connect with others, but it's just not true, especially during covid. Many older people have to rely on their own resources to get by. I used to drive people to AA meetings cause they couldn't do it themselves. There were others that were so disabled, they couldn't even get in the car. Some people were in wheelchairs and couldn't get transportation. The way social services work nowadays, you have to be seriously financially strapped before they will help. A person with an addiction doesn't figure into there formula.
I am very lucky to be able to be an older person and not have to deal with the pain and lonliness these people are going through. I know my day will come, and I will be in the same situation. When that day comes, I expect to take my life, cause there is nothing left. John