Notices

Morning of day 5

Old 08-20-2021, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning of day 5

So it’s morning of day 5 that’s 4 nights not drinking not a day drinker only nights. Longest been without in I don’t know how long!! I’m not sleeping lucky if I got 2 hours last night so still waking up feeling as bad as I did after drinking!! Still determined to continue asking for tips to sleep without drink!? And how to resist buying drink when I go to the shop today. No can’t wait
need loads stuff especially milk! Only thing keeping me going is coffee and NEED milk can’t stand it black!
Old 08-20-2021, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! It takes time for things to settle and get better.
I have problems sleeping but it is probably not because of my past drinking because my brother has the same issues but has never drank. I accept it for now because a lot of things have gotten so much better without the drink.

Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2021, 02:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I have always had few sleep issues so has my mum and she don’t drink at all! Drinking has always helped me sleep so really hard. Even before got to be heavy drinker had sleep issues but nowhere near as bad as past few nights!!
Old 08-20-2021, 02:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drinking to fall asleep is not real sleep. I use to wake up about 5 hours later like I had no sleep mixed with a bit of anxiety plus hung over. I would not dream hardly. Now with many days sober, I’m dreaming often and feeling refreshed. There are times where it is difficult to fall asleep. It’s just a part of life for many
Old 08-20-2021, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, difficulty with sleeping is quite common in early sobriety. The body has got so used to the alcohol anaesthetising it that it can take a while to get back to any normal sleeping pattern. Plus if you've always had sleeping issues this won't help either. However, the sleep you are getting will be of much better quality than the sleep you were getting after heavy drinking. Have you tried relaxation techniques in the run up to going to bed?
Old 08-20-2021, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sleep will be an issue for a while in early sobriety. I usually don't get a restful sleep until minimum 2 weeks after my last drink. It's completely normal. Your mind and body need to adjust to the absence of alcohol.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I want to say Thankyou to you all for giving me advice on sleeping and yes I accepted it two weeks get back to normal sleep yeah I can do that lots of strong coffee! I can do this! But sorry I failed when I went to the shop! No one helped me how resist what right there!! But proud of myself only brought a bottle of wine not a bottle of vodka! First glass felt like a hug from a old friend! Not had many of them last year and half!!! Isolating medical conditions not worth risk! Second glass guilt! Still finished it though! Back to day 1 but at least just a wobble not a blackout!! X
Old 08-20-2021, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Look forward to hearing from you on day 2! Keep strong - keep posting - don't drink!
Old 08-20-2021, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

No one helped me how resist what right there!!
Yeah noone can help you unless you have a support network you can plug into when you need it and ask for help, like this place

Don't let the your addictive voice convince you wine is better than vodka. Alcohol is alcohol and as alcoholics we have to avoid it in all its forms..

Old 08-20-2021, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I asked!!
Old 08-20-2021, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it to day 5. I know just how hard it can be. As for sleep, here are my tips.

- no caffeine after 12
- no devices an hour before bed
- chamomile tea
- warm bath
- lavender essential oils
- calming sleep music
- praying

And for resisting at the store. Don’t go hungry
Old 08-20-2021, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
I asked!!
I'm sorry noone addressed your what to do directly before you left for the shop.
I'm not sure where you live - is there anyway to buy things like milk etc without going into a shop that sells alcohol?

The good thing about SR is you can ask for help, on your phone, in that moment when you're in the shop and struggling with desire.

The (only) good thing about buying alcohol from the shop is now you can make a plan for next time you're in this situation to ensure a different outcome

D

Old 08-20-2021, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jillian Thankyou for suggesting all that tried! And yes last one I have prayed and I have prayed to god to give me the strength to beat this demon! That is within me! And wants me to fail! X
Old 08-20-2021, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We are all born with a angel and a demon within us what we choose makes them stronger!
Old 08-21-2021, 01:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow i remember the not sleeping, it lasted about a week for me. It was my brain re-adjusting to not having the alcohol. A lot of people i know have had the same experience, some lasting more than a week. BUT it will get better and you will soon be sleeping much better and fell much more refreshed.

I wouldn't bother with all the sleep remedies, just ride it out as it won't be long and you don't want to be doing a remedy that won't work and then get even more frustrated you can't sleep. How did we get onto angels and demons btw lol
Old 08-21-2021, 01:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I second Jillian - next time you go to the shop eat a big meal and have some sugar. It REALLY helps resist any temptation to buy alcohol. Another tip is only bring enough money for milk or what you need. Mentally, it's important to build up some resilience before being in that situation. One way is to post here and say you are about to leave......check in when you get there......check in again when you are leaving alcohol free from the shop.

You'll feel really good posting that you have been and managed your goal of avoiding the booze isle. It will help keep you accountable too.

Hope this helps and I am really glad to here you are regrouping and trying again xx
Old 08-21-2021, 02:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How we got onto angels and demons? Well I had a bit to drink and praying was mentioned and I was not listening to the angel on my shoulder! The demon shouts too loud!! Taking the right amount of money sounds good but didn’t need just milk was the most important thing for my coffee which just had a very strong one! and I never use actual money these days it’s tap and go! Bad to say but this morning I feel good! Was not drunk but had a drink and I slept!! No hangover and sleep! But I am starting again! Day 1!
Old 08-21-2021, 04:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 5 of my cravings were the worst. It was that day that I resolved to give up trying to drink like a non-alcoholic and quit for good, with no more excuses or special occasions that required one drink. I believe that resolution turned the corner for me. If I had not given up so totally, I would hate to think what day 6 would have been.

AA's first step is admitting we are powerless over alcohol. The writer of that step probably intended that to be enough, but many AA members wisely claim they do have power over alcohol, but add the caveat, "...as long as I don't take that first drink." And I believe that caveat is essential. As an obsessive pedantic, I am quite emphatic that I do have power over alcohol. Taking that first drink is and always will be my choice, and as an added benefit, gives me control over my life.

How this power over alcohol and control of my life helped turn that corner I spoke of on day 5 was a major perception shift that suddenly leveled the playing field. It was more than just swearing off alcohol. It was a recognition that I would no longer take that first drink under any circumstance for the rest of my life. Was that recognition the cause that made my cravings manageable, or did the two events just take place coincidentally? I don't know, but I can't help believe the two were connected at some significant level.

Early on, it's those cravings that do us in over and over again. So we need a new strategy that goes beyond super human will power and the total absence of cravings. We can survive just by making the cravings manageable, so that we can laugh them off. The tool we use to reach manageability is by not drinking, because drinking ultimately increases cravings. As alcoholics, we believe during the drinking part of our lives that taking a drink eases the craving. It only does so momentarily, but then it increases the need for the next drink even more. The tool is to remove alcohol from our lives. That's not how the normies do it, but alcoholics can never be normies. We must approach the use of alcohol differently.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How are you today Riversong?
Old 08-21-2021, 05:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Riversong, It would be a good idea to shop where there is no alcohol, as was mentioned above, but when it comes down to it, you have to walk into the place already decided that you will not buy alcohol. Think of why you are here on SR, why you want to stop and how you long to know how it feels to be free of alcohol so you can be your best self. It sounds basic and easy, and of course it isn't, but just making that conscious choice puts you in a much better position. Keep your shop trip short, make a list and no tapping allowed for booze!. You can do this!!