Notices

Weekenders July 29, 2021 "Best Time Is Now"

Old 07-31-2021, 10:30 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thanks for the opener Bim. I have not posted in a while here but I have been reading. I am in for another sober weekend. I am now 226 days sober.

Reid I am so sorry about your mother. Hope you can cherish the memories.

The antibiotics that I took last week, unfortunately did not make my mild sore the throat and swollen glands go away. I do have a cracked and broken tooth that needs to be extracted. And that still may be the issue but I keep obsessing that there’s something more serious going on in spite of what the doctors have said. My health anxiety, thanks to PAWS, makes me obsess that I have some horrible disease . Trying really hard to work on this with my anxiety therapist.

Thursday my mother got scammed and it was a really scary situation. Some bad people, though I could use much stronger words, called my mother ordered a cab for her to go to her brokers. She got in the cab went to her brokers office and asked for $7000 in cash. Thank goodness the broker knew this was a red flag and called me. She is safe. I talked to my mom and she was so confused she just said she needed $7000 but she couldn’t explain why. My brother was able to come pick her up and bring her home. She is so trusting and vulnerable. We are going to change her number and make it unlisted and hope that this helps prevent more of these things from happening. It’s so frustrating because I’m in North Carolina and she’s in Florida. But I am going down there next week to sort some things out for her. I think she has dementia but it hasn’t been diagnosed. She’s going to the neurologist on Monday.

All this stress, and it’s not the only thing going on, have given me urges to drink. But I know better. I don’t ever want to go through PAWS again it has been pure h***.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:59 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Gosh, CBS that's too bad. I've heard about a lot of scams targeting older people...so many devious things they try. I'm glad she's okay, and you're right that a drink would not help.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

CBS how horrible and thank goodness the bank rang you. There’s so many nasty scams going on at the moment targeting vulnerable and elderly and well anyone they can I guess.
Inhope your swollen glands and throat are soon better.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Sao, guess what I just researched this morning and had decided to go today or tomorrow while it's not too hot? Shakespeare In The Park. Free. Guess which play? Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm hoping to get someone to go with me but I'm not adverse to going alone! They are a lot of fun, I've been before.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:54 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Arrow Need Help you guys...

Hey, would anyone be willing to start next week's thread? Thursday or Friday would be good.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sure bim, you bet ❤️

(If you want Mags and bim, I can liaise with you.... you can even dictate to me )
Old 07-31-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A lot of people have trouble saying the A word and a lot more people have problems hearing it....so I get why some folks may tell a few white lies.
this is my experience. when I got sober first time around I got some less-than-good reactions from a few people when I over-shared. it can be emotive subject for people who've been on the wrong end of it. it's a big word & it means different things to different people.

I know my own truth - that I don't drink - and those (few) people who need to know it know it too. those who don't need to know don't need to know.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Sure bim, you bet ❤️

(If you want Mags and bim, I can liaise with you.... you can even dictate to me )
Thanks, Venus, you can PM with Mags if you want, I have no dictator skills.

...some people might disagree with that assertion.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I’m ok doing it , I’m sure I’ll be fine. Did you get my pm.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:36 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post

All this stress, and it’s not the only thing going on, have given me urges to drink. But I know better. I don’t ever want to go through PAWS again it has been pure h***.
The scammers are shameless, I am so glad someone was able to intervene. These stories break my heart.

Memories of the horror of PAWS isn't the only thing that keeps me sober but it's a definitely high up on the list. It was absolutely hell.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wow CBS62 that was too close for comfort. Thank goodness the bank people were on the ball. Large cash withdrawals should always set alarm bells ringing in these cashless days.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Sao, guess what I just researched this morning and had decided to go today or tomorrow while it's not too hot? Shakespeare In The Park. Free. Guess which play? Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm hoping to get someone to go with me but I'm not adverse to going alone! They are a lot of fun, I've been before.
Nice one bim, for some reason that play lends itself to outdoor performances.

Btw, in my anglo-centric way I mentioned I walked passed PL Travers house but forgot to mention who she was - she was the author of the Mary Poppins books and an Australian by birth. I would upload a photo but the attachments don't seem to want to know.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Oh I loved Mary Poppins Sao

CBS I’m glad your Mum’s ok ❤️ How scary! Some awful people really have zero scruples

It’s a beautiful day here so I’m going to try and get out for a bit of beach time, to chase the AV away.

The AV has been niggling the last couple of days, despite my expletives telling it where it can go…. Possibly partly because I’m trying to wean off the sugar. I’ve been using sugar a lot as an anti-AV weapon, and it’s really messing with my mood. Today is the 5th day of trying not to eat gallons of sugar, and the AV seems to have ramped up it’s attacks
I’m not sure what to do except persevere.
And try to motivate myself to get out and exercise.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:46 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

cravings for sugar can be misinterpreted as cravings for alcohol for sure Willow. Stay strong and the voice will fade away again

Thanks for sorting out next weeks thread guys - if you have any problems with it just let me know Mags

I'm sorry 'bout the scammers CBS - glad it was picked up tho.
And I'd really get that tooth seen to - I've had many broken teeth and to me it totally explains your sore throat and swollen glands.

D

Old 07-31-2021, 04:31 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

CBS, so good that someone caught that. Very scary.

Willow, a walk on the beach sounds very nice.

I didn't pick up on the name, but Mary Poppins was such an iconic movie. I liked the 2018 film with Emily Blunt also.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s still dark at 4.30am. There was a lot of flash floods in the surrounding areas. The drains just couldn’t cope with the torrential rain we had. It was ok in our small village but usually the roads our of the village get flooded at times like these.

It’s August the First. Woohoo.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:04 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Mags, the forecast is for a few dry days before the rains return midweek and then it is supposed to be wet all next weekend I'm hoping we can get another heatwave at some point this summer.

Yes, 1 August already. This year is flying by. Like all years seem to do these days.

CBS, I'm glad the broker was able to stop the scammers from scamming your mother out of money. I hope your health improves soon.

I'm planning on doing very little today. I'm going to my mother's for Sunday lunch. I was going to cut the grass today but as it's wet I'll leave that for another time.

Take care all.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:57 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Magsie

Enjoy your lunch at your mum’s Robbie.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:44 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I loved Mary Poppins! I have a picture of me when I was about 4 years old standing on our steps holding an umbrella over my head, pretending I was her flying to the Banks household! Lol! My mother told me I did this every day for a month after seeing the movie.

Glad you got to your mom before the scammers did, CBS. I am/was in the financial services industry and it is so rampant. So many elderly people fall prey to it.

Have a nice lunch, Robbie.

I hope what I am about to say next does not trigger anyone and if it does, I apologize, but it was a true eye opener for me and a reminder why I can never drink again.

We had some friends from a nearby state visit to go dinner at their favorite restaurant in this area. They are in their early to late 70's and don't like to drive at night so whenever they visit (once a year) they spend the night. Well, this was the once a year time. I should add that they like to drink.

They arrived at 3:00pm. I had their drinks of choice for them .... hers is vodka & seltzer, his is red wine. I expected them to have a drink with the appetizers I had made to serve around 5pm before we left for our 6:30pm dinner reservation. At 3:30pm, he announced that it is 5 o'clock somewhere and opened the wine. She poured the vodka straight with a few ice cubes and barely a splash of seltzer. I was not paying too much attention as they were helping themselves while we were visiting, but when we got to the restaurant, she was slurring her words so badly, she could hardly talk. She then ordered the same (vodka straight, seltzer on the side!) and he ordered more wine.

She was very, very loud (did I say loud?) and after ordering, she was even more loud but you could barely understand her. Everyone was looking at us. Suddenly, she fell asleep at the table or maybe passed out? I have fallen off of barstools and made a total fool of myself, but I don't believe I have ever fallen asleep at the table in a restaurant. And I mean, she was flat out. When her salad arrived, she did wake up and eat it but fell back asleep right after. When the main course was served, she woke up and ordered another drink which she drank before she finished her entreee. The waiter looked at me with raised eyebrows and I just kind of shrugged my shoulders. Her husband didn't say anything. Everyone was looking at us and I was so embarrased for her. Anyway, I touched her arm and asked if she was okay (while she was sleeping). She woke up, looked around and said "I'm just chilling". She never woke up again until I asked for the check. The husband wanted to stay but I said it was time to go.

Back at my house, I suggested she might want to go upstairs to bed. She said she did and when I came out of the bathroom, she was sprawled on my sofa passed out. Her husband drank more wine and eventually, my SO and I said we were going to bed. (I did not drink at all and my SO had a beer during all this time).

My point in all of this is that seeing her like this was just as powerful to me as seeing myself in those videos last week. Maybe even more powerful. I was upset that I put some of my friends in a similar situation more than once. Another reminder if that AV comes knocking on the door and I know it will. Especially when get the first week of the Whole 30 under our belts. The "carb flu" will set in soon...around day 5 of the diet is when the sugar cravings kick in.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Sunday. I am finishing up some projects around the house and if it doesn't rain, may go play 9 holes of golf later.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:49 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

The thing I don't understand is why the restaurant was serving alcohol to a clearly inebriated customer. That is not legal in Melbourne Aus.
The wait staff have a duty of care. The restaurant too.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:51 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

reflection is a useful tool