Notices

Weekenders July 29, 2021 "Best Time Is Now"

Old 07-30-2021, 08:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yeah, my house had my hard-drinking charismatic dad and all his race-driving buddies around. I feel the same way, MLD. No surprise that I learned early-on to equate substances with moods. Alcohol, food, heck even OTC meds that were abundantly dispensed by my mother. Any little ache or issue called for a pill or potion.

Unwinding all that is a big project.

My dad died at age 41. Still a hard-drinker and he pretty much never found a vegetable he didn't hate. Heavy smoker.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, your dad was so young when he died. So sad that this disease robs people of their lives.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Of the many Retorts stored in my Head, one not yet used is:

'I don't drink because I don't like what Alcohol turns some People into'.

That's a Show-stopper while Folks calculate if I meant them in that snark. Hee hee, might as well have some fun with Folks not letting up with the rude questions, eh?

In other News, MesaPup is close to 10 Months old, and looking it. We're away to the Dog Park soon; preceded by a Recycling stop. I put a new A/C Unit in the Trailer, and that packaging needs to disappear. Some ancillary replacement parts preceded that effort cuz my Troubleshooting acumen in Retirement ain't what it used to be. I also got a new Power Inverter fired up yesterday sans any Sparks and Fire. It ran the Trailer Microwave just fine off of 4 mondo Golf Cart Batteries charged by Solar, so it will operate MesaMate's Hair Dryer as well when we're out Boondocking. That's the most appealing activity on the horizon with the newest Lambda COVID Variant having popped up. In Texas, among other spots.

Thanks for the Opener, Bim. As with so many, I plotted the 'best' time to sober up. Then, I just went ahead and did it w/o regard for said Plan. I was just another Donkey chasing a Carrot hung in front of me on a Stick in all my calculated, erudite Plans to quit.

This masterpiece from Paul Carrack - whom we've followed for Decades - reminded me of all the different-paced Lives here on SR. We all catch up to one another when we need support the most, eh?

'If I Should Fall Behind' ~ Paul Carrack

Old 07-30-2021, 09:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Mesa, thanks for the new eye-candy picture of the pup, and for putting Paul Carrack on my radar. New to me, but not, as it turns out! I have just not heard him as a solo act before. I used to love Mike and the Mechanics so much!
I guess I've shifted even more into liking "soft rock" as I get older.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh, my, he has quite the pedigree! So many songs I love are his!
Old 07-30-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders LLLisa!

Good to see you countrystix

Mesapup is turning in to a fine young hound

I noted at the time that the two people who were quite surprised I quit and were persistent in their questioning about why were both heavy drinkers themselves, not to my level but still way more than was good for them. I doubt many moderate drinkers would be that curious as to why someone else quit.

Hometime! I have to go in to work for an hour tomorrow though which is a nuisance but I am not really required to do any actual work so it's not torture.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

This seemed fitting as we are always talking about going to the gym. I did go to the gym last Sunday for the first time since before the pandemic started and I've been sore all week.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Cityboy you must be thinking of some other group. I don't recall this thread talking about the gym... Give me a long walk outdoors or a paddle on the paddle board any day.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:43 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people have trouble saying the A word and a lot more people have problems hearing it....so I get why some folks may tell a few white lies.

I told everyone when I quit and that worked for me cos I was a pretty public drunk but I understand other peoples reticence to go into detail - but the thing is you really don't have to.

IMO really all I need to say is I don't drink,or I don't drink anymore if its someone I haven't seen for 15 years lol.
No one needs any more explanation that that.

But if you feel internally pressured to give a reason..you can say you got tired of drinking, you want to be healthier, you want to save money, you don't like getting drunk anymore, drinking is a young persons game.

None of those are untruths

D
Old 07-30-2021, 09:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

CityBoy

Dee, I can understand that. When I was first sober my head was anyhow. I couldn’t think properly. Until I came to SR and learnt many sober tools not just for staying sober but for the recovery road.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

By time I gave up drinking I had barely anyone left in my life, having destroyed any relationships I had. But on the odd occasion there was someone to tell I would do so with great pride. Something I worked so hard for was never going to be a cause of shame. Being a drunk was.

On Thursday evening, The Tonight Show was about drinking, if anyone in the UK is interested in watching it I'm sure it can be found on catch up ITV.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:03 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

My best friend keeps asking me “are you drinking again yet?” She admits she’s an alcoholic, but says “so what? Come drink with me.” Needless to say, I haven’t been spending much time with her lately…
If people ask, I usually say that I tend to drink too much when I drink and it makes me feel like crap, so it’s better that I stay off it.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:16 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Magsie

MesaMan, MesaPup is growing into a handsome pooch.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:32 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
If people ask, I usually say that I tend to drink too much when I drink and it makes me feel like crap, so it’s better that I stay off it.
I like this, Willow. It is the truth, and anyone who knows me well certainly let knows it’s the truth.

Both SO and I woke up this morning with a sore throat and congestion. Probably just a summer cold, but our minds very quickly went to “breakthrough Covid”! We are both fully vaccinated but it’s worrisome anyway.

We are heading to the farmers market this morning to get our first week of “supplies” for the Whole 30. We decided to start it today. Me and dates…always like to start new things on the last day or first day of a month. Lol.

Everyone have a great Saturday!
Old 07-31-2021, 05:18 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

^
Good luck on your Whole30 prorgramme LHW. I'd not heard of it so looked it up. I have cut out a number of things that are listed but I think I'd struggle to cut out the twin favourites of SoberRecovery - ice cream and chocolate!

I've been on a health drive of my own since I stopped drinking back in January and thankfully it's now starting to pay dividends. Although I still eat the wrong things sometimes (I had a McDonald's on Tuesday and a bar of cholcolate on Thursday and I still eat far too many biscuits) I have cut down on a lot of things and try not to eat (too much) between meals. I've also cut down as much as possible on carbohydrates. Not only has it helped with my diabetes (I'm type 2 and on medication) as my blood sugars are now back within range, but I've also lost weight. Since the end of January I've lost 1˝ stone / 21 pounds / 9.5kg and have lost inches off my waist. I've kept a weekly and end of month record of my weight going back many years. I weighed myself this morning and I am now the lowest weight I've been since October 2003. Almost 18 years! I'm still well above my ideal weight but it's positive news. It's down to stopping drinking and cutting out most sugary snacks and foods high in carbohydrates plus going for regular walks. I probably would have lost more weight if I'd stopped having chocolate altogether but I just can't seem to go more than a week without a bar of cholcolate...
Old 07-31-2021, 05:24 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Robbie, well done. I know it takes a lot of discipline and commitment to change food behaviors. Lots. Losing 21 pounds in seven months is fantastic! It does pay so many benefits to get to a healthy weight. After I lost my nearly 100 pounds I decided I'm not going through that process ever again. It was the first and last time I've lost any more than ten pounds and it was hard. Congratulations on taking back this part of your life.

For me, alcohol caused a lot of impulsive over-eating so it is a whole lot easier to keep on top of it now.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:22 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Robbie, well done. I know it takes a lot of discipline and commitment to change food behaviors. Lots. Losing 21 pounds in seven months is fantastic! It does pay so many benefits to get to a healthy weight. After I lost my nearly 100 pounds I decided I'm not going through that process ever again. It was the first and last time I've lost any more than ten pounds and it was hard. Congratulations on taking back this part of your life.

For me, alcohol caused a lot of impulsive over-eating so it is a whole lot easier to keep on top of it now.
When I was drinking, my blood sugars were all over the place. I wasn't eating properly as I would often eat very sugary snacks and food which was high in carbs. In addition I was eating at the wrong time of day - no-one in their right mind would normally eat a carb heavy meal at midnight but I would as I would sometimes feel like I was starving. Plus when I was inbetween my drinking binges I would eat very fatty food or very sugary food several times a day. It was quite easy for me to lose or gain a few pounds in just a few days. That lifestyle wasn't healthy at all.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:25 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

That's great Robbie.

LHW, I hope it's just a mild allergy. Farmers markets are always fun.

Went with my wife and her friends to a play last night. I thought it was going to be a compilation of Shakespeare. It was more of a spoof of Shakespeare, sort of like Spaceballs was of Star Wars. The performers did very well, though I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more had I been more of a student of Shakespeare's work. A spoof makes much more sense if you know what it is spoofing. My wife's friends are drinkers and they were drinking the whole time. Drinks with dinner and drinks from the concession booth. I have always been the worst one, but it seems so ridiculous now to see people make drinking into a priority of utmost importance.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I would eat heavy meals as they seemed to help with the hangover. There was also the waking up at 2:30 in the morning and crushing any leftovers that happened to be in the fridge.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes LHW.

Well done on losing some timber Robbie. I lost a lot when I quit too and I did so without restricting my intake, I just ate normally. I still struggle with sugary things though.

That play sounds fun Cityboy, many years ago I saw an open air performance of a Midsummer Night's Dream in Regent's Park. Not being a fan of Shakespeare I was pleasantly surprised how much enjoyed it.

This getting older thing - I don't like it. I have tweaked a muscle in my back which has slowed me down a bit. People have to put up with much worse so I shouldn't complain but you know...

I walked passed PJ Travers former house today. I forgot she was a Londoner.