Notices

Normal Drinking

Old 09-29-2021, 11:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The only way for me to live the life I want is to not drink at all.

D
I’d say anyone on this site has to reach the same conclusion, Dee.

I had a dream (nightmare?) the other night that I had a couple of beers. I think alcohol in dreams is a common theme. Even in the dream I was wondering how I’d feel the next day, i.e. would I be craving like mad? I reckon I would be craving big time, and that can do funny things to our mind. I’d probably justifying drinking again and the inevitable decline would follow. I don’t lose sleep over it, but I am wary about ever drinking again. I think we should all be very wary, and I’m often surprised how seemingly easily people throw their sobriety away. Sobriety, along with the second chance offered, is such a precious gift.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Syd693 View Post
Thanks Dee! Well I'm sure not normal anymore. You know in the past year I've literally thrown out beer or seltzers because I couldn't tolerate it or did not like it. Obviously my body is trying to tell me something. I've always had low tolerance, but the fact that I'm on a predictable binge course is too scary. I'm starting to feel like ones not enough and two is too many. Obviously a pint is more than I can tolerate right now. It baffled me, but from earlier points in my life when I counseled people with dual diagnosis, believe it or not, "we" used to say alcohol is cunning and baffling . .. I need to say counselor heal thyself. Thank you for being so honest and direct with me. I'm definitely on the abuse spectrum tipping in the alcoholic direction. Irregardless if I get drunk. The simple fact that I'm here says it all does it not? Thank you again!
If you read any of my posts, and please do if you have time. I'm 52 years old and have cirrhosis of the liver from my drinking. There is no normal drinking for people like us. Please read the book, or get the audiobook "Alcohol Explained" by William Porter. That book is what really helped me turn the corner finally make the decision. I was going to dye if I didn't quit, and it might be too late for me, who knows.

Please don't end up like me. You could try the website, there is a video on the front page of that is less than 6 minutes long that I think will help you.

Please don't let yourself end up like me. Please don't do that to yourself. Get to a Doctor and see where you are, couple blood tests will tell you.

https://www.alcoholexplained.com/

Take care,
Max
Old 09-29-2021, 05:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you Max for the reply and advice
I may very well be looking at a lung cancer diagnosis. It is what it is. I probably won't be having treatment. Not that it matters with my decision now Thank you for your kindness.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

And I have read all the materials.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I may very well be looking at a lung cancer diagnosis. It is what it is. I probably won't be having treatment. Not that it matters with my decision now Thank you for your kindness.
I'm sorry for what you are going through Syd.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Jupiter11 View Post
One thing I was surprised to learn about "normal" drinkers was once they started drinking they didn't have that physical craving for more and more and more.
I thought they just had excellent willpower, which I could learn. But no! I suppose I could just have one or two if I wasn't completely taken over with the craving after one.
That, combined with lowered inhibition and impaired reasoning after a few are something no amount of "willpower" will overcome
It doesn't affect them the same way. They don't have their brains light up like a Christmas tree when they drink.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I will be praying for you.

Live, love, laugh..
Max
Old 09-29-2021, 08:36 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I have the drinking dreams all the time. I've researched it and not only is it common, many view it as a good sign. Your subconscious is doing what it does, naturally. When I have the dreams, I do drink but it's always, I shouldn't be doing this, and then, why did I? Well, either way--asleep or awake, I know the dangers...and I'll take a "whew it was just a dream and I'm not drinking today" day, any day.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yes Southern 🙂 I forgot to add that “phew” feeling upon waking up and realising I didn’t have those drinks. I’m 100% sure there’d be consequences if I did drink, anything from cravings the next day and having to go through withdrawal right up to full blown and daily heavy drinking and being overweight and then obese. I reckon I’d hit that grim last target within 6 months if I ever succumbed.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Normal drinkers have gotten drunk in the past and done stuff they regret too.
The difference is, they rarely drink to excess and they don't HAVE TO drink to excess every time they pick up a drink. They're capable of just having a couple beers.
So those situations are few and far between for them.

For you and me, however, those situations are every time we drink alcohol. It's really not worth it.
Recovery is such a better life.
Let me tell you something about that, though.

There's a lot of people in my life who are heavy drinkers. On the surface, they look fine -- they work hard, show up at social events, and they love getting obliterated.

But you never know what someone else is going through.

From an outside perspective, to most people, I was just a "partier." The life of the party, even. Nobody saw my personal demons, the drinking alone, the hiding booze from my family, the sneaking shots of vodka between glasses of wine during a mundane family dinner. It was hidden. To outsiders, I appeared together and successful and on top of my life.

Not true.

What it's made me realize in sobriety is that there is really no such thing as being a "normal" drunk. Alcohol is an addictive poison. Normal drinking would be an occasional glass of wine or dinner or single serving of champaign at a celebration. It isn't a binge. It isn't 3-6 drinks at a bar. It isn't a six pack during the game. All of that is problematic consumption that takes a toll on the individual's health.

Just because something is normalized doesn't make it "normal" or good. And you never know whether the guy at the pub, or even a close buddy, is really struggling with their consumption.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SouthernSober View Post
I have the drinking dreams all the time. I've researched it and not only is it common, many view it as a good sign. Your subconscious is doing what it does, naturally. When I have the dreams, I do drink but it's always, I shouldn't be doing this, and then, why did I? Well, either way--asleep or awake, I know the dangers...and I'll take a "whew it was just a dream and I'm not drinking today" day, any day.
My drinking dreams (all in the past now) were like yours. Everyone was about me being distraught over somehow ending up drunk. Actually drinking was not part of the dream. The dream always started with me being drunk and disgusted with myself. It was a simple reflection of what my life had become combined with the terror that I might return to that life. At least this is what I think it was all about. Some people believe that dreams don't mean anything. Freud would be disappointed, but I felt like my drinking dreams contained a message, even if that is not what my subconscious intended.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Drinking nightmares suck. But then you wake up sober and not hungover and life is good again

About 90% of the problems in my former life were caused by drinking. And it would have gotten much worse if I would have continued.
Recovery is a good life.