Notices

Normal Drinking

Old 06-12-2021, 05:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ThatWasTheOldMe,
Firstly, I just have to say I love your username! Sobriety is definitely worth the effort it takes to live a life free from guilt, shame, and regret.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I knew I was in trouble when I started drinking a glass (or two or three) of wine in the morning to stop the shakes and awful anxiety.

I was never a normal drinker, always drank to get drunk. So glad I don't do that anymore.
Ah least.
Years ago, I used to think "Yeah, I drink a lot, but at least I don't drink in the morning." Then I started drinking in the morning. And then every time I went on a drinking binge, it would be drink until I pass out, get up and drink some more - until my body wasn't able to handle it. At which point, I went through a hellacious comedown.

Recovery is where it's at.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Maybe some alcoholics would like to drink normally... I personally haven't fancied "normal drinking" (whatever it is) for 10+ years at least. Even in my youth (teens, 20s) when I drank quite rarely, I would typically do it in excess. Quite a few episodes of puking sick from drinking at parties, clubs etc. Most of my clearly alcoholic binge drinking pattern since my 30s has been similar, just more frequent and even higher quantities, to reach the level of intoxication I sought with the increased tolerance, and I gradually moved to doing it alone at home while going crazy on the internet. I never even feel tempted to drink now in normal social environments where people have a couple to enjoy themselves and become a bit loose. Also never fancy a drink or two out in the sun, or to relax after a busy day. I only want to drink to reach a massively altered state at home on my own, and each time I do it, it turns me into a monster I don't relate to almost at all when I sober up. Just did it a couple days ago and everyone can read the result in my recent posts, it was my worst drunk for many months. I also almost always feel awfully sick and depressed the day after. When I don't drink, even just a few days, I'm not even depressed or rarely very anxious, and don't think/feel/say/do much resembling the BS I do while drunk. It is truly amazing what's appealing in those drunken states and making a complete mess of myself, so that it goes on and on. It's addiction of course, seems like a form of masochism as well - it really appears that I drink to transform/destroy everything good about me, it's not some kind of self-medication (of discomfort I have sober) for me at all. I think my brain "likes" that complete chemical mess and the other consequences do not matter to my normal consciousness and sense of self. I personally don't see an iota of normal desire in this.
I used to do this.
One thing that helped me was to disable my social media accounts for at least a few months.
My Facebook account is still disabled and I don't have any desire to log back on to it.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by least View Post
I was never a normal drinker, always drank to get drunk.
I never drank to get drunk...but every time I drank, I got drunk. And it became 24/7. Just goes to show there is no such thing as a normal alcoholic, we come in a lot of variations, but with a common bond. I am grateful to all my varying brothers and sisters and the common bond that unites us in our goal of recovery.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's a part of sobriety for me personally - an unrealistic, dreamy and irrational part of me wishes I could enjoy wine and drinking like my wife does - takes it or leaves it, enjoys it socially and with a nice meal. But that was never me and never will be. It's like wishing I was a professional basketball player or born wealthy - not who I am or ever will be. A waste of time to consider it. So I accept that I will feel this way once and a while. I don't punish myself for the thoughts. But I am happy when they leave.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I didn’t want to be a normal drinker, I wanted to be a normal drunk...drinking with impunity, would have been my ideal.

To be honest the thought of drinking again normal or otherwise doesn’t really float my boat these days....drinking takes a lot of energy,time,commitment and money...none of which I want to waste on possibly the most destructive pastime ever invented.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
When I spoke to my GP about my drinking, I was very honest about the quantities. Doctors must get so frustrated with not only lies but also vague figures. The biggest concern of my GP, though, was that I drank every day. For me, that’s the best definition of dependent.
my doctor was not concerned about my drinking...at least she never said she was.
I told her how much I drink and she never mentioned it again or asked any questions. I was surprised to say the least but never pushed the subject.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's pretty bizarre a doctor not concerned when someone confesses to drinking to much?
Old 06-13-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I never really understood why people drink normally. The CDC defines drinking in moderation as 1 twelve oz 5% beer for women or 2 twelve oz 5% beers for men, in an evening.

What is The point of two 12 oz week beers? Do some people feel a little buzzed after 1 or 2 beers? If it is honestly a taste thing, there are plenty of good N/A beers. I think it's more of a cultural thing, sold to us by the alcohol industry. They want us to think we need to have an alcoholic beverage to fit in as an adult in social situations.

As for myself, I now enjoy several spindrift carbonated waters a day. For special occasions I like to have something fun like an Italian soda or mocktail.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So true ! I know for myself that I am completely incapable of having just one drink. As soon as the stuff passes my lips I’m already eager for the next one . . . . and the next and the next and the next.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I always drank to Oblivion. Even looking back at my late teens and early twenties, when we would all go to the student nights at the nightclubs. I'd get in there, and order a double vodka and coke, down it really quickly and then order another.

I'd be walking around the club, place spinning, absolutely ********* by midnight, where 95% of the other students in the club, ( and we are talking 1000 or so here, it was a big club) would be just getting their night started, dancing and chatting etc

I'd walk around the club absolutely drunk as a skunk, and then I'd leave early and go home and pass out. I did that most weeks. So looking back, I was never really a normal drinker.I enjoyed losing control, escaping reality, that feeling of escape....the buzz. That continued throughout my twenties. I was well known in my friendship circle as someone who would get drunk really quickly and then do a houdini and go home from the club really early.

And then, I started to get into the habit of a few drinks the next day to quell the hangover anxiety, those hangover drinks slowly got earlier and earlier until one day I found myself drinking in the mornings...I think that is when it crossed the line...

I was always destined to have an issue with drink, I just didn't see the warning signs back then. I drank to get drunk, to get a proper buzz on, and it often ended in blackout. A few drinks is pointless.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I’m a weird drinker I use alcohol like I’m sniffing cocaine. I don’t want a gradual steady increased buzz. I guzzle whiskey down to get drunk as possible as fast as possible. I’d go into shopping centres and go straight to the toilets and drink as much alcohol as fast as I can just so I can walk around the shopping centre out my face. It seems like it’s becoming the old me now thankfully
Old 06-13-2021, 04:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

There is one thing I have to face about myself, I have had much difficulty admitting this to myself:

ONE drink is too many and TWO drinks is not enough.

It's hard to face that every single time, but I have to if I want to live.

Max
Old 06-13-2021, 05:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I knew for a long time I wasn't a normal drinker. Highly abnormal binge drinkers like me don't make mixed drinks we take a shot of vodka from the bottle and then a shot of juice from a bottle and mix it in our mouths.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The reason

It seems to me that alcoholics drink because they’re broken and they want to to be fixed. Drinking gives the temporary illusion of being fixed until you stop and then you’re even more broken. But just staying sober doesn’t fix you; therein lies the rub. Being sober and broken is better than being on the drink or in withdrawal, I guess, but unless you can fix what’s wrong, that may keep happening.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

One thing I was surprised to learn about "normal" drinkers was once they started drinking they didn't have that physical craving for more and more and more.
I thought they just had excellent willpower, which I could learn. But no! I suppose I could just have one or two if I wasn't completely taken over with the craving after one.
That, combined with lowered inhibition and impaired reasoning after a few are something no amount of "willpower" will overcome
Old 09-29-2021, 12:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I've been trying to drink 'normally' for years.
I just can't bring myself to submit to abstinence.
I don't drink daily anymore (for now)
But I binge heavily at weekends and go through Sunday - Thursday with gritted teeth waiting to give myself permission to drink.
I didn't think I was a stupid person - but clearly I'm an idiot!
Old 09-29-2021, 02:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Not so normal anymore

Myself, and my"normal" drinking is getting out of hand. It's usually one or two beers, but then I binge for two or three days. Still the one or two but strong craft pints over several hours. And using as a crutch after stress. I'll go a week or more, then cave. I really physically feel it afterwards. Then justify the hair of the dog. Used to be I'd have a six pack sit for a month in my fridge. Guess since COVID it's my new excuse to go overboard. So I've built up a bit of non tolerance???? I've been this route before, moderated okay, but guess it's time to get back on the wagon for good. So I'm here hoping for some accountability. To myself I suppose and others in my same predicament. What poison we feed ourselves. Literally and figuratively.
Like said above I'll get through a day and without any conviction pop over to the local store for a can or two of a local craft beer. Day three feels like a runaway train. At least I max it at three days. . .that's been my past. And I argue with myself and justify that if it's within the 7 to 14 units per week I'm ok. . .But my body says I'm not. I say I'm not.
​​​​​Time to get it out of the house I think. Kinda sad when I feel I can't trust myself or can begin to predict that I will go overboard. Here's hoping for a better ending to this week! Thanks for letting me vent. Feel like a fool. I suppose better late than never. Anyone drink non alcoholic beer? I was hooked on that for awhile ago. I'm open to anything for encouragement. It's a slippery slope.. .I fear at this juncture. How did anyone else catch themselves and stay on track? You see, I'm even justifying the three day binge. That's unacceptable now. At least for me in my heart mind and body.. .
Blah!

Old 09-29-2021, 02:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Syd

I tried everything: NA beer until I rewarded myself with ‘just one can’ of the real stuff, trying to stick to just drinking at weekends, light beer, alternating with water, eating a big meal, drinking an alcoholic drink I hated the taste of, not drinking until a certain hour…

Everytime I’d end up the same way. Wasted, missing a few days, and broke.

Normal drinkers do not have to work that hard. It’s a non issue for them.

I’m an alcoholic.
The only way for me to live the life I want is to not drink at all.

D
Old 09-29-2021, 03:27 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Well I'm sure not normal anymore. You know in the past year I've literally thrown out beer or seltzers because I couldn't tolerate it or did not like it. Obviously my body is trying to tell me something. I've always had low tolerance, but the fact that I'm on a predictable binge course is too scary. I'm starting to feel like ones not enough and two is too many. Obviously a pint is more than I can tolerate right now. It baffled me, but from earlier points in my life when I counseled people with dual diagnosis, believe it or not, "we" used to say alcohol is cunning and baffling . .. I need to say counselor heal thyself. Thank you for being so honest and direct with me. I'm definitely on the abuse spectrum tipping in the alcoholic direction. Irregardless if I get drunk. The simple fact that I'm here says it all does it not? Thank you again!