Notices

What I don’t miss about drinking alcohol by FREE2b

Old 10-14-2022, 11:40 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

What I don't miss: leading a double life and all the lying I was doing to everyone, including myself.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:56 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I don't miss that gut wrenching feeling of waking up and wondering what the heck I may have done/said/text the night before.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:52 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Drink, puke, drink, puke, pass out... As a drunkard I wasn't exactly classy. Those days are far behind me now!

Forwards.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:58 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I don't miss putting drink before others , i dont miss low selfesteem , waking up and 1st thought of the day is negative , losing teeth because years of abuse had rotten my gums. Not fulfilling my true potential. Not been able to listen to people. Have no love for myself , not planning a future , having no money , affecting my ability to make love.not been able to develope deep relationships. Having toxic relationships that fed each others demons.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:14 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Drunk texts... God I hated those!
Old 10-19-2022, 01:35 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Born, they were just awful.
Years ago I'd sometimes leave voicemails too or put stupid things online, I stopped that a few years ago but still sent drunk texts occasionally.

its just insane looking back that my drunk self thought these things were a good idea! Looking at my phone after a heavy night was so shaming some times.

For me when I got very drunk, I often wanted to chat to people, text or call them at 2am, get no response obviously and then in the morning just hate myself.

Boy, am I glad them days are gone!

Grateful them days are gone!
Old 10-19-2022, 07:20 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Britbird80 View Post
Born, they were just awful.
Years ago I'd sometimes leave voicemails too or put stupid things online, I stopped that a few years ago but still sent drunk texts occasionally.

its just insane looking back that my drunk self thought these things were a good idea! Looking at my phone after a heavy night was so shaming some times.

For me when I got very drunk, I often wanted to chat to people, text or call them at 2am, get no response obviously and then in the morning just hate myself.

Boy, am I glad them days are gone!

Grateful them days are gone!
I can relate to all of that. I think one of the worst feelings in the world for me was waking up the next day and looking at my phone. Usually, I would just delete the text messages and try to pretend it didn't happen.

Just like you, boy am I glad those days are gone! Now I am calm and collected before I text anyone. I'll take that version of me over the drunk me any day of the week.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:35 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I don’t miss side stepping conversations about what happened the night before…., guessed wrong one too many times, so guessing was out…..

Wondering if that ache in my abdomen was irreversible damage, and then drinking that night, or two days later.

Getting on my knees and begging God, “Please, Lord, give me strength to beat this”

Shaking hands by noon

Drinking in the public restroom stalls
Old 10-20-2022, 01:36 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Great Thread! I've yet to reach day 1, but I know I am close. What I WON'T miss is quickly sneaking liquor before my wife comes home, making sure I have a glass of wine to make sure that's what she "smells". Especially won't miss not kissing her when she comes home because I've eaten something pungent to mask the smell the best I could. I won't miss neck and back pains in the morning because the alcohol kept me sleeping uncomfortably. I won't miss falling asleep immediately upon putting a movie on. I won't miss cravings (these have mostly gone already ) I won't miss my monthly liquor store bill. And I won't miss the feeling of letting myself down after I give in to the little voice.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:36 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Sct, so true.

Feelings of self loathing and shame because of broken promises to ME.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Free, I had forgotten about the bottle in purse and public restroom stall guzzling. What a life we led!
Old 10-21-2022, 02:10 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thank you, Free2bme, for starting this thread and to all who have shared these very familiar experiences and stories. Such energy and time and suffering extracted while drinking. Such hope and grace once we stop.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:53 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lanterns View Post
Thank you, Free2bme, for starting this thread and to all who have shared these very familiar experiences and stories. Such energy and time and suffering extracted while drinking. Such hope and grace once we stop.
I love that Lanterns ' Such hope and grace once we stop' - yes there is.
I will not miss the horrible internal battle which kept me like a prisoner for so long.
Now I feel free, because I am free.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:41 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I don't miss the hours and hours I lost each day being totally wrapped up in my anxiety and fears of knowing nothing good could come of my drinking and I was only one more drink away from the next big disaster.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:21 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I don’t miss pretending to my partner that my nausea and vomiting was from food poisoning. I don’t miss the shame of that lie at all.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:48 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I dont miss anything about drinking. I drove by the liquor store the other day and the only thoughts I had were about how much money I spent there. Then later, I thought about how awful I felt at the end of my drinking rampage. I was a complete disaster. I just couldnt stop. The last few months of my drinking were horrible. So, I am sitting in gratitude. I weathered the storm of the early days and have created an immense amount of internal and external peace in my life. GO US!
Old 10-23-2022, 07:12 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I won’t miss picking up a bottle of wine at the liquor store. I went to the liquor store nearest to my house yesterday to get a kombucha and it was a new brand so I wasn’t used to the packaging and I double checked to make sure it wasn’t a “hard kombucha”.. that it was just a regular one without alcohol. That was a really good feeling.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:52 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

OMG Free~~~ yes!! Geez, for all the "food poisoning" I had you would have thought someone was trying to take me out of the game! Don't miss that at all.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I don't miss being an absolute idiot in text messages to my boss of all people.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:23 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

TWTOM, welcome back!