Notices

What I don’t miss about drinking alcohol by FREE2b

Old 11-14-2022, 03:37 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I don’t miss anything about drinking, but most especially the disappointment and regret of taking a drink in later years and finding that the buzz was muted, somewhat unpleasant, and increasingly short.

All I was left was the regret for thinking it would be any different. . .
I relate strongly to this! The last few days of my drinking I was actually forcing the beer down; my throat was killing me, it felt like I was so full of beer that I would almost drown, my mouth tasted so vile that anything tasted rotten, and to top it ok off, the buzz was very unpleasant and yes, only lasted as long as the beer in the tin lasted! Horrible, horrific times
Old 11-14-2022, 12:00 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss feeling gross and tired all the time.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:15 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I don’t miss having my blood pressure rise to 160/100 or higher.
I don’t miss having my resting heart rate rise from 60 to 85 or 90
I don’t miss having my liver in mortal danger.
I don’t miss not be able to stop until the poison builds up so much that I am sick and physically unable to drink any more.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:54 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

I don't miss questioning if I could be a more present parent to my children. They have my full (well almost) attention these days and I have more time, energy and patience to engage and do things with them that sometimes I didn't when a drinker (for example rushing through bedtime stories so I could get downstairs and start on the wine). It's is a great feeling knowing that they always get the best of me nowadays.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:38 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I don’t miss that insatiable urge, now getting weaker and weaker, and visit very seldom.

I don’t miss breaking my promises to my soul, “I’m done! No more of YOU, alcohol!”, and doing it in a few hours anyway.

my soul is happy, I am content. I glance in my rear view mirror, but I don’t stay there-ashamed of my wrongdoings to myself and others.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:23 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I don't miss waking up and still be able to taste the alcohol from the night before.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:26 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss the days and nights all jumbled together and all unhappy. . I don't miss waking up feeling like death warmed over.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:12 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I keep coming back to the guilt but it was terrible. Also the "im finished" "im done" "never again" "not tonight" all those times i would convince myself i was going to stop until aroind lunchtime and the chatter would start up again and id be back to square one that night 😔.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:49 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss a single thing about drinking. It was all awful, all of it. So glad that's behind me now.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:44 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

the insanity, exhaustion, lying, and pure chaos of it all. Don't miss it one bit, it was pure hell.

telling my gf I was one place and everything was fantastic when I was huddled in my apartment pounding liquor drinks when I should have been at work. I told so many lies that I forgot who I told what lie to. I also did a ton of sneaking around my dad and trying to hide it. I thought I was sneaking but my dad quickly caught onto what I was doing. Just awful.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:39 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Knowing my body and soul keep, and kept, the score—I was hiding my drinking too. From myself, like “it didn’t count”.

We don’t get an infinite number of chances to get sober, and STAY sober.

I don’t miss wondering about the sober future. I’m living it, here, now, and present.

What a gift.

Thank you, SR