Notices

Where was your last ever drink?

Old 05-02-2021, 01:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Crying my eyes out in the bathroom begging myself to stop. When I walked out of the bathroom that was the end of my drinking. Sober for 18 months and thankful for every hour of it.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In my flat , on my own 😥😥😥
Old 05-02-2021, 02:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It started as a random thread (like most of mine 😃 ), but a theme has developed.

Not one reply tells of a last drink that was planned. No one finished off with one last session or on some pre-defined date. It just happened.

I do despair slightly when I hear people say they’ll quit on such and such a date. If you’re serious about quitting, you’ll just do it. The only exception is very heavy drinkers who’d need to taper, but for someone like me who was on a bottle of wine or so a day, I reckon tapering is just another excuse. Any doubts, ask your GP, but I don’t even think tapering should be a drawn out process. A month maximum.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don’t remember. That’s why I quit.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In my apartment, surfing the web, as always. I almost never drank anywhere else or did anything else at least in the last 10 years of my career. It was one of those binges when I continued drinking the morning after for a while, then stopped and felt pretty depressed the rest of the day. I remember later that night, when I was already sober but quite sick and down, that some neighbors threw a loud party late into the night and I felt very annoyed and angry. There was nothing special or memorable about that last episode except a strong feeling that I was fed up and had to get serious about quitting for good (it was a relapse).
Old 05-02-2021, 04:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I also have no clue, but not because I was in such bad shape but rather because my last few drinks were not such a big event. I had already stopped for a while, but took a pause from the stop after my mother's death with friends and family as part of the celebration of her life. I guess it was a "relapse" but did not feel that way -- no big drunk, actually no drunk at all, just drinks with friends, but I realised quickly on that stopping was better, easier, and the right thing to do. 6 years ago now or thereabouts.
But there was big event a couple years earlier that caused me to really really stop in the first place. It was awful, never want to go back there so I wont. Which is why the pause I took six years ago was so wrong, I cannot ever risk doing anything like that ever again no matter what and therefore no sip will pass these lips my friends.
XXX
Old 05-02-2021, 05:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
If you’re serious about quitting, you’ll just do it.
^^^This^^^
Old 05-02-2021, 05:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It was nothing out of the ordinary. I had been sitting on my couch. I was drunk again. I kept getting drunk even when all parts of my being were screaming at me to stop. I put myself to bed and woke up in such a state of despair and suffering that I knew I was done and had to find a way out. I never want to experience that state of my being again.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

October 23, 2017. I finished off the bottle of wine I started the night before.
Decided to quit for a month, that became 3 months, 6 months, a year. Now it's permanent.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It started as a random thread (like most of mine 😃 ), but a theme has developed.
Not one reply tells of a last drink that was planned. No one finished off with one last session or on some pre-defined date. It just happened.
Those planned dates for quitting often don't work out as planned. But I'm guessing that most of us didn't know it was our last drink when we were having it. So the significance doesn't hit us until after the fact. After being sober for awhile and having gained confidence, we may remember back to that drink and identify it as the last one, but while we were drinking it, it was just another drink.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I do, it was July 26th, in the evening a few years ago. This was shortly before eating some undercooked spaghetti and puking it all up in the shower. This was after a lot of 'quits' and trying to quit. Lots of things to sort through and sort out leading up to that. Still lots of things to sort through and sort out.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

And as for my first drink?
Old 05-03-2021, 08:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mid afternoon Sunday Dec 20, 2009 - dumped my last drink in a parking lot about 30 minutes from when I got to rehab. I can't tell you what I had for lunch last week but I remember that moment like it happened today.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

2 nights ago. At a restaurant unless I had one more when I got home which wouldn't be unusual. I just don't remember. I do remember leaving the restaurant, parting ways with some drinking friends, having to make a serious effort to not appear unsteady on my feet. And even at that moment, in the haze of alcohol, I remember feeling a vague sense of disgust with myself that I had gotten that drunk again. The next morning I was most definitely disgusted with myself and resolved to quit drinking for good. All my previous attempts at sobriety were open ended. I was just going to quit for a little while. Take a break as it were. This time I finally realized the quitting needs to be forever.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That's a great observation. It's like something just snaps into place that tells one you just can't be doing this anymore. That this is bad but if you don't stop there are much, much worse things, including an early death, ahead of you.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
And as for my first drink?
I remember mine. A jug of Ernest and Julio Gallo at a high school party when I was 16. My first time getting drunk. That magical feeling. That party was the first time I heard the album "Hell Bent For Leather," by Judas Priest, and I was spellbound. Someone at the party said "hey is this your first time getting drunk?"

"No," I shot back, wanting to be cool like I had gotten drunk plenty of times already.

And here I am 35 years later trying to repair the damage that first sip led to. What a long, strange trip
Old 05-04-2021, 03:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I had my last drink the same place I had about 20 thousand of them.

On my couch.
Me too. Hiding in my apartment, avoiding “life”
it was one week ago today at 10am that I finished that last bottle of wine and poured the “backup”
one I had (what?! Lol) and said “ENOUGH” and started to get my **** together
Old 05-04-2021, 04:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Definitely at home. I planned a 3-day taper with beer, I believe. It was not enjoyable at all, purely medicinal. UGH. So glad that (long) drinking phase is behind me.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Walnut1 View Post
I don’t remember. That’s why I quit.
SAME...don’t miss those dark hours
Old 05-04-2021, 12:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Some room in my house here, can't recall exactly which one but probably my home office, that was the 9th of May 2019.