Notices

Where was your last ever drink?

Old 05-04-2021, 02:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker and my last time was the worst as the binges got longer and more intense. It was day 5 and I was drinking vodka until I blacked out and passed out, wake and repeat.

Just about all of these binges started out at the bar and in the subsequent days, Id stay holed up in my apartment, sometimes with other binging "friends" or completely alone, watching Ytube videos and movies on repeat. Id' relive the initial bar night over and over in my head like it was a repeat loop, drinking, thinking of the music, the people, the noise, lights and id keep drinking by myself like I was somehow reliving the experience in real time. I was getting sicker with each episode and the last few times, I would wake up in pain in the middle of the night, my entire body hurting and me moaning out loud in pain until I finally got up and started drinking vodka again. It was awful.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Yes, the things we do ☹️

I remember always buying my evening beers in a shop and having to buy a bottle of Gaviscon, the medicine to reduce acid reflux. A bottle cost £8 (about $10) and lasted me two days. I’d wake in the night with awful stomach ache and take a swig of my Gaviscon.

Of course, it was the beers that caused the acid reflux, and the fact I bought Gaviscon alongside my beers makes no sense at all now.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Last drink was May 13th 2019. It was probably split between my balcony and the mattress-as-bed in the middle of my bedroom. Can't smoke indoors (how decent of me), so I drank mostly on the balcony. It took The Day After Tomorrow type cold to keep me away from there. Since there were empties in my room as well, I probably drank some there, too.
Drinking alone on my balcony/in my bedroom. Glamorous!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Last public drink: probably at Squid Row, Cabo San Lucas, summer, 2015
Last drink ever: my living room, February 2, 2016.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

At the bottom.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My last drink was 1 ounce of wine, December 16, 2020, standing in my dining room by my bar. I had been tapering down for months and after a trip to the ER for a blood pressure spike due to withdrawal, I was prescribed a strict 3 day wine and Librium taper by the ER doctor. As I sipped it down quickly I was thinking I guess this is it. What an intense feeling that was. I remember it vividly.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
My last drink was 1 ounce of wine, December 16, 2020, standing in my dining room by my bar. I had been tapering down for months and after a trip to the ER for a blood pressure spike due to withdrawal, I was prescribed a strict 3 day wine and Librium taper by the ER doctor. As I sipped it down quickly I was thinking I guess this is it. What an intense feeling that was. I remember it vividly.
First off, well done, CBS. That’s five or six sentences, but there’s a big story and a lot of effort and willpower there.

I’m curious how much you were drinking. I always say anyone drinking a bottle of wine a day, for example, can stop immediately. Maybe I’m wrong to say that.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:07 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
First off, well done, CBS. That’s five or six sentences, but there’s a big story and a lot of effort and willpower there.

I’m curious how much you were drinking. I always say anyone drinking a bottle of wine a day, for example, can stop immediately. Maybe I’m wrong to say that.
Think it depends on the individual. I could drink a bottle of wine and stop the next day, that wouldn't be enough to set me on a binge. However I would rarely if ever stop at a bottle. I'd drink two bottles in one go, even four double gins after that. If I was binging all day I'd drink two and a half bottles and lots of gin. That is when it is hard to stop.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

I was drinking around a bottle to a bottle and a half a night. Sometimes more if I was partying with friends. But every night for decades. I don’t think cold turkey would have been safe. I knew I had become dependent and needed to quit. I was never a day drinker except on vacation but boy I watched the clock like a hawk and when it was 5 the wine was pouring.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:20 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Samantha

Probably on one of my couches lol
Old 05-08-2021, 12:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

In my kitchen, bottle of gin, half a glass full of gin topped up with orange, no sipping just straight down my neck, onto the next one straight after until the bottle emptied, same old same old everyday, October 2020
Old 05-08-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
I was drinking around a bottle to a bottle and a half a night. Sometimes more if I was partying with friends. But every night for decades. I don’t think cold turkey would have been safe. I knew I had become dependent and needed to quit. I was never a day drinker except on vacation but boy I watched the clock like a hawk and when it was 5 the wine was pouring.
Thanks CBS, sorry for being nosey.

I was drinking a similar amount and was surprised when my GP said not to stop immediately. I guess they have to be cautious and offer such advice to everyone as stopping drinking is a huge shock to the system.

My only concern is that tapering could drag on and on. Hopefully there’s a prescribed timescale for tapering in which case it sounds the best way.

In my case, I was drinking a bottle of wine a day and cut down to a half. That’s not a large amount, but I guzzled down my daily quota and then desperately craved for more - that’s the epitome of a problem drinker. At that point, I totally quit. I was pretty fit at the time I guess so my body was able to deal with the shock. My brain wasn’t!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Alone, in my house, until I passed out. July 1, 2018. Woke up the next day with the worst hangover ever. Sat in my chair and thought I was going to die.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Laying on bed watching Fright Night on TV.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Drive through strawberry daiquiri in New Orleans. If I’d have known that was the last one would have had something more manly like a shot of Jack haha.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Mine was December 9th, 2019. It was my last shot of bourbon signaling the end of my self taper. Life has been unfathomably better since that last drink.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:30 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Mine was too much beer and wine 20 days ago. Nearly lost me my life as I knew it and I knew then that I had to change everything