Notices

Hi

Old 04-20-2021, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I’m new here so thought I would introduce myself. I’m Josie I’m 43 and have two fabulous kids who are 13 and 11. I have had issues with alcohol since I was at university. The last year has been incredibly hard. I lost my step father to cancer and have not seen my mum in 19 months. I’ve not seen my sister in 16 months. They are my rocks. I have sunk lower and lower over the last year and my anxiety is at an all time high. I’ve hidden my problems and drunk behind my partners back. I then went into fantasy and connected with his brother as a way of hiding my true self as I hate myself and think I’m a dreadful person. It all came to a head and his brother and I were hugging and being very close. Way too close. My partner walked in and my partner has now left me. I don’t blame him. I’m a total mess and am starting to process my life choices. I have got in touch with my gp to deal with my anxiety and I’ve found a local AA group to attend. I’m waiting so my ex and I can sell our house so I can try to move on with my children
Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Making the decision to get sober will change your life for the better. This community has been very instrumental on my road to sobriety. The support received is invaluable. Stay close. Post often. Make a plan of action and stick with the plan.

You can do this!
Old 04-20-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I’m joining AA and I need to find a support to help me as I’m on my own now with my kids. But I don’t want to let them down. I won’t let them down x
Old 04-20-2021, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-20-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Josie, and sorry to hear of your troubles. As others have mentioned, there is a tremendous amount of support available here - if you avail yourself of it. Getting and staying sober makes a huge difference in life.

Keep reading and posting, and there is also what we call a class - comprised of members from this current month who can freely discuss their issues and lend support to each other. I will post the link below.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-two.html
Old 04-20-2021, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jo, welcome! You have a good place here for support. We do understand how hard this is. Alcohol does make us hate ourselves and so stay hooked because we don't face issues in our lives. But, it's going to be so much easier to make good, thoughtful decisions about your life for yourself and your children.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Jo. Its lovely to have you here and I can connect with a lot of what you wrote. This is hard but everyone is so supportive. It sounds like you have taken some important steps and it really is one day at a time xxx
Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jo, welcome. It sounds like you have had a lot of difficult challenges the past year. Glad you are here and going to AA as well ... support can really help you make the changes you want to make.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Jo!

Welcome to SoberRecovery! Reading and posting often here, as well as regular AA meetings, have kept me sober for eight years. It works if you work it!

Here's some good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-two.html

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7625000 (24 hour recovery connections Part 522)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...l-15-22-a.html (Weekenders April 15-22)

Old 04-20-2021, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Jo. You found a great place for encouragement - we all understand!

I'm sorry for the painful time you're going through. When I was drinking I did out-of-character things I would never have considered if I was sober. I literally became another person - and it caused chaos. That's the main reason I decided I couldn't drink another drop. Dangerous things always happened. You can turn this all around and get your life back.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I’m heart broken that I’ve lost the one man I’ve ever loved but I can’t change that. I can change who I am though so I can be ok from now on. I will miss him forever though and can honestly say I’ve lost the love of my life through my addiction, my mental health issues and my stupidity xx
Old 04-20-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jo, it's so hard to look at the messes we've made while drinking and to accept that we can't change things. But, as hard as it is, I think it's part of the recovery process. It helped me to accept that the only thing I could change in my life, was myself. And, it helped motivate me to stay focus on recovery so I didn't go back to that place again.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jo
Old 04-20-2021, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jo. I think most of us have made questionable choices while intoxicated, so you are definitely not alone there. Great decision to get sober and regain control of your life. I did it with the help of AA and SR and you can too. I'm glad you are here!
Old 04-20-2021, 02:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Josie - I always say it's never too late to start Chapter Two -it could very well be the best chapter yet

D
Old 04-21-2021, 12:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

With sobriety and recovery there is always the opportunity for a new life to commence and for you to get a 2nd chance at life. It truly is a blessing 🙏
Old 04-21-2021, 03:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you I’m definitely looking forward not backwards xxx