Notices

Weekenders April 1-7. I won't drink this weekend.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I love all of the pics on this thread!

for sharing!

I had a lovely, quiet Easter weekend. Lots of reading, eating and relaxing 😌
Old 04-05-2021, 03:15 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have never heard of a grass tree, but I like its spirit. It reminds me of a Rastafarian.

Willow when I was newly sober one of the "tools" I made up was to list in my head the usernames of SR members I could remember. When cravings hit and I was away from the site it was a surprisingly effective way to quiet the drinking thoughts. I would just remember that every one of them would tell me, "Don't Do It!!"

I could come up with a lot of them!
Thanks Bim, funnily enough, I did a bit of that over the weekend without even realising it
Good tool for future offline trips
Old 04-05-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The other day I walked up my driveway past 15 huge oak trees that were planted when this condo complex was new. Around the bases of them are concrete block retainers. Inside those little areas around the tree bases there are crocuses and hyacinths and daffodils bursting forth with their colorful little heads of hope. They were placed there more than 20 years ago by my downstairs neighbor. When I first moved in she told me she was in AA, and I wasn't drinking at that time either. We became friends. When she passed away (30 years sober) she left behind those yearly flowers as reminders..."I was here, hello bim."

So cheerful and so fragile. I love them.

what a lovely way to remember your friend Bim, thank you for sharing that with us
Old 04-05-2021, 04:01 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Love the pictures captain, especially the eagle.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Me too. ❤️
Old 04-05-2021, 07:55 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Very nice pics of everything....thanks to all for posting!!

When I was young the American Bald Eagle was on the endangered species list so it's been nice to witness their comeback.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:58 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Magsie

CaptainHaddock, pleased you had a good weekend. The pictures are wonderful.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:21 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Your weekend sounds lovely, Captain. Beautiful pics. Yours too, Willow.

Sao, I did laugh when I read that you take your wheels off to clean. I bet you move the sofa when you hoover too.

Glad your friend is still smiling down on you, Bim. Precious memories.

Congratulations on your continued success, Forwards. Music, I still struggle with that, it can stir an emotion in an instant. I don't like emotions.

Onward and upward we grow.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:29 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders.

Thank you for those fabulous photos Captain Haddock that eagle is superb. Berst wishes to your parents.

Good to see you Bandicoot.

Typical! The day after the holiday and the sun has come out. At least it was a fine walk to work this morning.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:30 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Lovely to see so many posts and pics on the thread this weekend! Another stunner of a day here, bitterly cold but beautiful. 6 days till the pool opens, don’t want to wish the week away but hope it goes fast!

Hope everyone is well xx
Old 04-06-2021, 12:52 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Morning all

A quick visit this morning as I have a busy morning ahead of me. I hope everyone is keeping well.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:37 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Bandi, when I was in high school, I knew of one osprey nest, which was a major attraction, but had never seen a bald eagle. Now there are ospreys and bald eagles everywhere in my part of Florida. A true story of environmental recovery. I wish they would talk about the positives more in the documentaries.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:58 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Good morning (in my neighborhood, at least.)

I had to laugh at Mantalady, [paraphrasing] "It's bitterly cold! Yay, the pool opens in six days!"

I got my salt down to 1500, two days in a row. My blood pressure should be fixed, right? :-|

Old 04-06-2021, 06:03 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I've spent the last couple of hours sorting out rubbish to take to the local council waste centre tomorrow. This is almost the final part of my house renovation project (the last part will be next week when my stair carpet is fitted). I've amassed so much junk over the years that has been stored in the loft / attic and in a cupboard under the stairs instead of me just getting rid of them. I moved to my house in summer 2003 and there are still things boxed up from then. I've also got dozens of old VHS tapes that have not been played for the best part of 20 years. My old VHS recorder is still there too. There's also hundreds of tapes and CDs. Nowhere will take CDs these days as no-one wants to buy them. The tapes have never been played for many years and are probably all dried out (do tapes dry out? at the least I expect them to unravel or snap if I tried to play them). I'm going to get rid of them all. There's also an old hi-fi, a computer, lots of cups (I used to collect cups from around the world but they've boxed up for two decades), an old tennis racket (a wooden one!) that I bought in 1981 and more.

It's quite cathartic (is that the word?) actually, I feel like I'm decluttering my life and getting rid of things from the past I don't need. At the very least I'll have plenty of storage space again...
Old 04-06-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hi Robbie, English being my second language I shouldn’t dabble in this, but I think cathartic is indeed the right word, although to me it sounds like quite the opposite of what it means . Good on you for getting rid of all that junk, although old tennis racquets will always hold a certain type of appeal for me.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Robbie, I did a major sort of my house when I got back from rehab a few years back and got rid of almost half of the house lol. So much junk collected over the years and when I had done it I felt so good. It was like a huge weight had been lifted off me. Was a great exercise in letting go of the past.

Haha Bim! The pool is indoors, we can go swimming in outdoor pools already but in the Northwest UK we don’t have the weather for outdoor pools . The one at the gym is quite warm so easier to get straight in. It opens at 6am Monday and I will be at the front door of the gym at 5:59am lol! I do think I might need to get a new swim suit as my COViD sized butt is probably not going to fit in the one I have now. I have this nightmare vision of me walking to the pool stairs with hairy legs, moustache and bingo wings and from behind it looks like my butt has tried to eat my swimsuit haha!!

Old 04-06-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

​​​@MantaLady

Your post cracked me up!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:31 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

"Bingo wings" and "butt tried to eat bathing suit".

The silver lining in the terribly hot and humid weather we will have in a few weeks is that it makes it nice to go in the springs. Many of the springs near me are on the Suwannee River. During the summer months, the sturgeon (another environmental success story), which are quite large, frequently jump out of the water. Going to the springs by boat after mid June can be hazardous. Getting into the water though is best done immediately so as not to prolong the shock effect.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:11 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Captain Haddock - what's your first language? South Africa is so interesting to me.

The Suwannee River is so beautiful. I've spent a lot of time there.

MantaLady, when I read that your pool was opening I thought how difficult it was going to be for you to wear a down parka to the water's edge and then drop it to go in - but an indoor pool changes my entire inner dialog. I miss swimming. Sounds awesome. I mean it's possible to swim in the ocean here - with a 9mm wetsuit! Maybe I'll go snorkel at the marine park, that sounds fun.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:44 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Lol Manta, what we wouldn’t do for the sake of a little exercise.

Thanks Bim, my home language is Afrikaans, the most familiar similar languages being Flemish (spoken in parts of Belgium), Dutch and German.