Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Negative or Positive thoughts this weekend. 05 - 08 March 2021 Weekenders

Notices

Negative or Positive thoughts this weekend. 05 - 08 March 2021 Weekenders

Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sinkholes in the UK:

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/geology-projec...oles-where-uk/
Old 03-06-2021, 10:19 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Farmer falls in sinkhole whilst on his quad bike.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56290236
Old 03-06-2021, 11:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Magsie

The mind boggles!
Old 03-06-2021, 11:35 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Poor man!
Must be a hazardous area with the old mines beneath.
Thank goodness for the rescuers. I admire their courage and resourcefulness so much.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders - thanks Mags as always for the thread.

Wow though, I just opened my shared chest freezer and there was a big bottle of premium gin lying on top of the veg bag. Not a nice surprise, in fact a shock. Last week there was a half full bottle of whiskey left in the kitchen with a 'help yourselves' note on the front. Yes friends, we have a new housemate...

So, negative thoughts provoked by the above, and a few mental health niggles this week (spies anyone?) but I'm doing OK. Looking back on it I realise how alcohol massively amplified all negative thoughts in my life and yet paradoxically the only way of quelling them I thought was to drink. Perhaps this is the cycle that keeps up trapped for so long.

On to positive thoughts then... My vaccination appointment has been booked for next week. So far five members of my family have already had their first dose which is a huge relief. Super impressive stuff by the NHS, the military task force organising it and of course our scientists who developed it.

Anyway, back to work. Lots to do as ever. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:53 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

In Boulder Colorado County, you could see wavy Surface Subsidence where old Coal Mine Shafts 'settling' would distort Land above. When we bought Houses in the area, I'd head down to this massive Gumment Complex in Denver to research dodgy old Mine Records to ensure we weren't buying over a Mine Shaft only a few hundred Feet down.

Another kicker is that Mine Fires get going, and are about impossible to extinguish. Hot Weather and Wind can flare them back up if they're close to the surface.

I used to check out old Gold Mines West of Boulder. Unsafe as all get-out, but I was invincible back then, eh? I was trespassing into one old Mine while on my haunches on solid Ice. Dripping Water was frozen by Air coming down the vertical Shaft in hard Rock. The Kids of the kind Hippie Woman whom I later introduced myself to were up above throwing Rocks down the Shaft. One about busted my Skull. They'd hit an old Metal Box. It came down, and all these Checks from the '30s written with Quill Pen fell out. Notations like $1.32 to the local Dairy. The Owner let me keep them all.

It's nice to not be young and dumb anymore. At least I got older... ,,,, And, vaccinated for CV-19 a few Hours ago. All is well.

I can't say if this Article can be opened Overseas.

Colorado Coal Mine Fires

Old 03-06-2021, 03:33 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay with us Forwards

D
Old 03-06-2021, 04:36 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Farmer falls in sinkhole whilst on his quad bike.
Congrats on your jab Mesa and good luck with yours Forwards and anyone else who is due to be vaccinated.

I remember reading up about that mine fire in Centralia, Pennsylvania mentioned in MM's link years ago and thinking that a few decent scientists and money spent on machinery and equipment could have slowly but surely extinguished that fire. It would have been a lot cheaper than evacuating a town.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56290236
This is comedy gold! What a shame no one was there to film it. (ain't I mean!)
Old 03-06-2021, 05:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Explored a park today and wouldn't you know it, there was a spring and a sink pond. Neither were impressive on the surface.

The spring was the smaller and had several people scuba diving in it.

Do a web search for Eagle Nest Sink and you will get the following. It apparently has underwater caverns that lead to large rooms. One source referenced over 40 scuba divers to have perished in this one sink. . I did an extensive search of the area and found no eagle nest. Perhaps a casualty of hurricanes.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Another weekend sober. I look back at my drinking days and it shocks me that I could treat myself so badly. Not anymore! All my days and nights are sober ones.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:42 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Magsie

https://vimeo.com/117723088
Old 03-06-2021, 09:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Magsie

MesaMan, the mine fires sound bad, it’s good they’re being monitored. Sounds like you had crazy fun in your years past.
I know I was a bit crazy in my youth, I’m pleased I have grown out of it. I’m not sure if it was getting sober or my age or even a bit of both.

Saou, the guy must’ve thought he’d been swallowed by the rabbit hole like in Alice in Wonderland

CityBoy, thanks for the pic. I looked at Eagles Nest and there’s no way I’d go where that diver went. I’m totally too sensible nowadays. (Most of the time)

Bim would you venture down? Is this somewhere you would’ve dived. There was a sign under the water that tickled me.

Eagles Nest

https://vimeo.com/117723088

Old 03-06-2021, 09:06 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Magsie

Forwards pleased you ignored the ‘help yourself’ sign!
Old 03-06-2021, 09:22 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sounds difficult, Forwards. I know for myself, I have to be far away from temptation. I hope you are able to ask the newbie to be a bit more discreet with the alcohol.

Ok I know I am a bit ditsy but why would an Eagles nest be in a cave underwater?

Yes Sao, where were the cameras.

Love the sign, Mags.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:07 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Morning all!
Old 03-07-2021, 04:19 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I have more tales about scuba in caves than you'd ever want to know. And no, not me in caves. First, no. Second, it takes a lot of training and math and very expensive equipment and for what? Being claustrophobic underwater? I don't get it, truly. If you want nightmares, do a search for cave diving accidents.

That sign is a common one at the mouth of Florida's underwater caves/caverns. Many a reckless untrained diver has met his or her demise.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:46 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

I can imagine there’s a lot more to it than my untrained brain would know about diving. But sounds a dangerous hobby..

Hi Robbie, did you get all your decorating done?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Still confused about Eagles Nests.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:30 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I don't know. All the major cave systems have names in Florida.

There are a lot of eagles in Florida...and a lot of nests. And maybe someone saw something underwater that looked eagle-nesty.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Robbie, did you get all your decorating done?
There's only the living room left to decorate and that is getting done tomorrow and Tuesday. Then a carpet for the hallway, stairs and landing and then that is it, thank goodness. This morning I was moving most of the furniture from the lounge to the kitchen so the house is untidy again!