Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Negative or Positive thoughts this weekend. 05 - 08 March 2021 Weekenders

Notices

Negative or Positive thoughts this weekend. 05 - 08 March 2021 Weekenders

Old 03-05-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I suspect Mesa pup has been secretly practising that look four hours...

Good to see you freedomfries!

Those sinkholes must be alarming for the nearby residents, you wouldn't want to wake up to find you and your house were at the bottom of one of them overnight. Some of the potholes on the A12 road from London to the east coast are not much smaller
Old 03-05-2021, 11:19 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

So I have been reading and Iistening, and thinking.

I am about as far from being a PoIyanna as is possibIe, but I am not at aII a negative thinker. I am a pragmatist.
So when we got Iemons by the bucketIoad over the Iast year, my brain was and is aIways focused on turning that into Iemonade.
And I aIways beIieve that I can. And I aIways do.

This mainIy comes from my parents ~ some of you know that my brother was run over and kiIIed when he was aImost 10 years oId.
I was the baby at the time....and over the next years I watched my parents not onIy cope but thrive. They turned the greatest pain anyone can go through into strength and Iove. Added (on purpose) another chiId to our famiIy, and kept going. AIways.

And they Ioved each other madIy and gave us a fantastic Iife....(aII of which I was way too seIf-centred to see and appreciate untiI I was their carer for years, and then got sober).

The onIy time a negative thought can even get a grip on me is if I am angry or afraid.
I aIways deaI with fears head on now, and if I am angry it is brief. Now.
I have had a Iot of time to work on my bad temper during these at-home months.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Samantha

I am somehow still sober. I had a full 9 days of terrible and today I was on the way to the liquor store, ID and credit card in hand. Knew what I wanted.
turned around.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, the sinkholes are scary. They worry me as to what we’re doing to the Earth that may cause them, or is it a natural phenomenon.

MesaMan pleased you’re getting the vaccine. Great post as usual and gorgeous pic of MesaPup

Samantha, really good you turned around. Every time we ignore the av it gets weaker.

Suze very tragic accident to your brother. Must’ve been devastating for your whole family. It takes a lot to learn to live with.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:28 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope better days are ahead Vman and anxiousrock and anyone else struggling
Old 03-05-2021, 09:34 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Mr

Salutations Weekenders

I bought new blades for my lawnmower, watch out grass !

That croatian got a free swimming pool. Might be a bit close to the front door. Imagine he/she was one of us and blacked out before it happened and thinking "jeez what did I do" 😁

Congratulations to all staying sober. 👍

Shout out to the awol's and mia's. I think you feel better after posting. I know I did yesterday eventhough while posting I thought "stop you'll drive everybody to drink or worse"
​​​​​​
Got up really early this morning. Been working on a 500 piece puzzle. Is a 500 piece a hard one ? Maybe I'm just bad at jigsaws...
Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Vinny, enjoy your jigsaw. My in-laws always have the 500 pieces too. Don’t have to reach too far putting the pieces together. Though some can be harder than others.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Salutations Weekenders

I bought new blades for my lawnmower, watch out grass !

That croatian got a free swimming pool. Might be a bit close to the front door. Imagine he/she was one of us and blacked out before it happened and thinking "jeez what did I do" 😁

Congratulations to all staying sober. 👍

Shout out to the awol's and mia's. I think you feel better after posting. I know I did yesterday eventhough while posting I thought "stop you'll drive everybody to drink or worse"
​​​​​​
Got up really early this morning. Been working on a 500 piece puzzle. Is a 500 piece a hard one ? Maybe I'm just bad at jigsaws...
The free swimming pool or a Koi pond were my first thoughts too - I thought it was just me and my naughty gallows humour. Yeah waking up after a blackout to that would be a shocker, that horrible anxiety inducing practice of trying to piece together memories that just never formed, and feeling literally like you are dying.

I only do 500 piece jigsaws, they take up less room. There is a very quiet thread here.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...puzzles-5.html

Cold and miserable here today, last few days have caught up with me and I am absolutely exhausted.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:27 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Bim, the sinkholes are scary. They worry me as to what we’re doing to the Earth that may cause them, or is it a natural phenomenon. ...
Natural phenomenon, Mags - part of the geological processes of the region:
“Experts say that these sinkholes would have formed naturally anyway over time, but the earthquake acted as sort of a catalyst which sped up the whole process, unfortunately,”
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...merge-76270561

Old 03-05-2021, 11:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you anxiousrock, i'm glad you buy any drink. Fingers crossed that the next few days are not so terrible.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:14 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

Hope you have an easier day today anxiousrock and that the AV subsides.

It's a cold day today and I'm feeling a bit shivery. Nothing planned so I'm just going to stay close to home today.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:33 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hang on anxiousrock, you're doing good.

Have a good day Weekenders! ☼
Old 03-06-2021, 02:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Aww, Vman, always post and let us know. I find sometimes it helps me and sometimes it doesn't when I post stuff. I guess you never know ahead of time.

It would be great if we all knew what was going to happen.

Yes, I said that on the last page. It's my new mantra.

Where's @andyh

If you look at that news article about the sinkholes, the last picture on the page is the one that made me think, "Well, that's not good."

I grew up in Florida and there are a lot of natural sinkholes just like those. It's the limestone and its natural porosity. It just collapses. They fill with water and make great swimming holes. Some of them are huge cave systems and some are diving meccas. I don't see the lure, even though I do like to dive. Kinda spooky.

Sober Saturday morning never gets old.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:03 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

That is beautiful but I ain't diving in no sink hole!!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:33 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Bimini is right about my part of Florida having tons of sink holes and springs resulting from the karst topography. It's a natural phenomenon.

There are some springs that offer wonderful snorkeling. Some are extremely popular with the scuba divers.

I've been spelunking in a few of the caves and sinks. It's interesting, but you typically don't see the formations that are in caves elsewhere. I'm not nimble enough for that anymore, and it's too dirty.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:41 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thanks, Cityboy. My dad worked at one of the five water management districts in FL (many years back.) It's super interesting stuff.

When I was a kid we swam in some of those collapsed sinkholes - seems dangerous now, some of them are murky and who-knows-what is swimming below the surface.

The Ichetucknee River is pretty famous and I've spent many an hour floating that river and snorkeling in the waters. Really beautiful - there are a bunch of images at the bottom on this site. Some of those springs pump a huge volume of water. It's spooky to snorkel and free dive in them!
Old 03-06-2021, 05:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I grew up about 15 miles from ichetucknee springs.

Don't understand why it's "springs" (plural), even when there is only one. Perhaps because usually there are multiple.

I have some nice ichetucknee pictures I'll attach from my computer.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My understanding is that there is "Headspring" and then a lot of smaller trickling springs in addition to that one that feed the Ichetucknee. I mean, Florida is practically oozing water everywhere!
Old 03-06-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Guetemala City is the place for sink holes. Ot might have been former Weekender BigSombrero who made me aware of them but I can't be certain. They are impressive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=guat...iw=360&bih=672
Old 03-06-2021, 10:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Caramel.

So the sinkholes that are used by divers, they could sink even more maybe? Looks like some are still growing.