Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Negative or Positive thoughts this weekend. 05 - 08 March 2021 Weekenders

Notices

Negative or Positive thoughts this weekend. 05 - 08 March 2021 Weekenders

Old 03-04-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What a great opener Mags, I have a tendency to inflate the impact of things that are negative but really just irritations rather than the rnd of the world. Maintaining perspective is important.

Welcome to Weekenders Haris!

Wack-a-mole for cats!
Old 03-04-2021, 10:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Been a while since I checked in on a Weekender
Great topic!
Controlling negative and positive thoughts and attitudes is something I am currently working on.

Not an easy task.
I could never put forth the time and energy this takes if I was still drinking. I would just, unsuccessfully, try to drink the feelings away.

I'm looking forward to a life of not reacting to every little thing that happens and not worrying about things that may or may not happen.

I have a long way to go but I have nowhere else to be.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been a negative thinker all my life, literally as far back as I can remember. It's very exhausting and is a major cause of not only my anxiety issues but probably just about every issue I have had in life. I've tried CBT and while it works to a degree it so far has never made me an overall positive thinker. I'd hate to think that I can never change my thought process though and that I'm going to spend the rest of my days always thinking in a negative way.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Greetings, all.

Thanks, Mags, for yet another great Opening Post and thread. I watch as little news as possible the trick for both anxiety and negative is often to stop “futurizing” all aspects of my life and those things on the news. I can easily create, in my mind, a bigger life problem or a worse outcome of a reported news event. Keeping things in the moment is helpful, especially when an outcome is beyond my control.

Well here we are on the eve of another Weekend. Let’s do it right!

Have a lovely evening, all, and to our Aussies a great Friday.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Hiya Leigh, good to see you

Hi Fish good to see you too!

Robbie, With so much brain training out there, I hope there will be some way that suits you to help overcome negative thinking.

A shoutout to @MantaLady and @MidnightBlue , hope you’re keeping well.

Going to farm shop later. It’s the only shop I go to since the virus started, it being a few stalls at a farm along with a pay area they’ve built on to house chiller cabinets. They’ve started selling more produce too, from local jam makers and I read they sell sausages from a farm in Lincolnshire too.

Hiya Marty

Hi Kaily if you’re awake pre-Dawn (my clock says) too.

See you later xxxx
Old 03-04-2021, 09:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Enjoy your shopping Mags. I bet you can find some excellent produce there.

Nice to have you along on the Weekender FK.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Shout out to @andyh and @vman too. Hope all is well.

Well any of you that know me will know I am never a negative thinker . Little Miss Positive . My psychologist was always trying to get me to stop catastrophizing and fortune telling as he called it. Easier said than done.

Yesterday I dug up my hedge, prepared the beds as they should of been. Removed all the turf and rubble (6 bags), recited all the holes at an even distance apart and put slow release fertiliser in then replanted. What a mess that gardener had made. Every bit of me hurts now.

I would love to name and shame him but he knows where I live. He was with me 45 minutes and charged me £50. His advert stated £15 per hour.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags, thanks Kaily
I've been quiet the last two weeks, going through a phase of depression i suppose, talk about negative thinking...
It's been in my family and i struggle with it too. Controling the few inches between your ears can seem like running a double marathon.

There is no better feeling than getting your hands dirty with clay and soil and benefiting from the the physical exercise while at it.
I will do some gardening today too now, cool !

I loved all the great photos last week.
I'm glad everyone is staying sober apparently, nothing more important than that.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/recove...ive-self-talk/

Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, good to see you Fishkiller.

I suspect that us drinkers/users use negative thoughts to give us an excuse to drink/use and to rationalise a destructive addiction. Being aware of it is half the battle.

Edit: Good to "see" you Vman, sorry you are experiencing a bout of depression. Maybe remind yourself how well you have done to build up such a long period of sobriety.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad you checked in Vman. Sorry you are struggling with depression. I know what that feels like, it's more than negative thoughts. It is like being engulfed in a darkness with no light and no way out. But slowly brighter days return.

I hope the sun shines for you again very soon.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Vinny. I agree, physical work can help towards lifting depression. Hope you’re feeling a bit better.

Kaily, grrr so annoyed with your rip off ‘gardener’. Hope your back is ok after finishing off the hedge work.

Hiya Saou.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Happy weekend, sobhoes.

It was my birthday last weekend and I got runners and weights. So I'm starting a new fitness regime to lose a little weight and hopefully lift my depression.

This morning I went for my first run since January. Pretty pleased with myself. It was just week 1 day 1 of c25k but it's a start.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Mags, I'm waiting on more CBT sessions for my anxiety and negative thoughts, unfortunately these will be done via a phone consultation rather than face-to-face.

Kaily, the gardener sounds more like a chancer who was more interested in making money than doing a good job.

Vinny, sorry to read about your depression. Hopefully some gardening will help you feel a bit better.

Hello FF and good to see you back in the Weekenders thread. How far did you run today? Also, a belated happy (30th?) birthday for last week. I can still remember my 30th birthday even if it is now almost half a lifetime ago. Actually I can also remember my 18th and 21st too. It's the birthdays after my 30th that all just start to blend into one...

Old 03-05-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Depression is that demon I don't even like to name. I can easily spiral down if I don't stop myself.

I've done therapy ((blech.)) I've done prescriptions...lots of them. I've read books. I've tried to "think positive." It isn't that easy, I agree. I know the tools, though. I know to eat well, exercise, pray, read inspirational things, try to get enough sleep, examine and re-frame my catastrophic thinking. I don't think it's really possible to fight it off all the time. Especially now when everything is so uncertain. I heard the other day that optimists live with uncertainty better than pessimists do. He said, "Pessimists aren't usually wrong, but optimists live with the uncertainty better..." or something to that effect.

It would be so great if we all knew what was going to happen.

Or would it?

Sometimes, yes. Yes it would.

The soul-destroying depression when I drank would have killed me - at least now I feel pretty even most of the time.

K girl, doesn't seem right that you had to re-do that whole project - but at least it's done correctly now!

I woke up at 2AM with a nightmare. So annoying.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone.

Vman, thanks for checking in and sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit down. Remaining sober surely is one of the best guarantees of brighter days ahead. I firmly believe that gardening is one of the best ways to help us stay even-keeled during times like this.

Kaily, it sounds like you did what was needed to give your hedges a good chance to prosper. I’d love to see a pic, even in these early stages.

Good to see you FF, SoberLeigh and Robbie too. Hoping for lots of nice discussions this weekend.

Seems like I just made my 888th post, which I believe is considered a lucky number in some cultures. Not sure if it fits in with this week’s theme, but there you have it!

Old 03-05-2021, 04:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

Thanks for this new chapter Mags

I'm ready for another sober weekend! ☼

Old 03-05-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well this would be surprising!

Croatia sinkholes after recent earthquakes

(AP Photo/Darko Bandic)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good one, Mags. Thanks for that.

My casual concept is that lingering Bummers are caused by transient Particles known as 'Bumtrons'. Kinda like Quarks, but the cause for Bummers. The Chicken & The Egg question might be: 'A; Does Drinking lead to Negative Thoughts'? Or, 'B: Do Negative Thoughts lead to Drinking'? I'm guessing it's Answer C: 'Both of the above'.

As in my Sig Line below, I see The Mental Game is an important one to hone. For Life. I used to try to tackle and fix anything and everything. Now, my Strategy is to pick an item or two, and focus in on those to achieve some sort of satisfying outcome. Skip the spiraling Vortex of holding myself to Perfectionist Standards, and then bumming out when I don't achieve them.

As with the Sober Strategy of never picking up that first Drink, mebbe also avoiding/limiting that first Negative Thought results in similar, positive results? Either Scenario requires a modicum of discipline initially, but then gets easier as it resembles Muscle Memory.

I, too, have come around to limiting News intake, and avoiding downer People on Social Media. That's like scraping - um - 'stuff' off my Boots after walking through a Pasture. Feels good to simply avoid 'stuff'. No magic. Just lightly-concentrated effort that really doesn't require much to achieve after some practice.

Future Fretting takes away from immersing in The Now, and enjoying what's right in front of me. Like, MesaPup finally wandering into his Crate and simply living in Dog Universe in the present. This was a pretty huge breakthrough. The respective, different tints of his Hair from Mom & Dad crack us up!

It's sunny and warm for the next 5 Days. Might even wash my Truck. I get the first of 2 CV-19 Jabs tomorrow Morning. Life is as good as I think it is. The Body follows the Mind.

A positive message circa 1986 from Steve Winwood on 'The David Letterman Show'. Music starts at Time Mark 2:15...

'Higher Love' ~ Steve Winwood ~ Live

Old 03-05-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Oh how that dog meIts my heart. s ❤️