Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I've been at the best facility in apparently for 6 weeks (guelph) I can't stop

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

as soon as I got out i went to ****. what do i do now. i'm not blaming one i'm surprised how fast i cracked.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you call that facility? Go to a hospital?
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome blairg. Were you provided with any contacts or resources to work with upon discharge? I would contact the facility and ask if you were not - addiction is not something that we just get "cured" of like having surgery or other medical issues. Generally you want to have a specific plan as to what you are going to do ( meetings, therapy, reading, etc. ) each day. You will find a lot of resources and people here on SR that have also been through rehab and found ways to stay quit afterwards.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery! I hope we can help!

No matter which route you take for recovery, work is necessary. I use a combination of SoberRecovery and Zoom AA meetings. Read around and post often--it works if you work it!

Here's some good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7596765

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7597052 (24 hour Recovery connections part 517)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ch-2021-a.html (The sober life for good Weekenders 26 February - 1 March 2021)

I suggest you check your local AA website to find Zoom meetings. Here is just one group out of thousands (near Seattle, GMT -8h):

https://eastsideaa.org/meetings/?tsml-type=ONL
Old 02-25-2021, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

If you went to the best facility, then they probably supplied you with the tools to get sober. What they can't supply you with is the commitment to apply them.

If you can commit to never drinking again, you can achieve it.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully your facility helped you with a plan to help you after discharge. As others have said, it might be a good idea to contact your rehab center and ask for their advice. You can do this!
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. In my experience, we know ahead of time we want to drink again, and we plan it. I find it hard to believe you got released and suddenly "cracked", without any forethought. If you did have an idea it was going to happen, then you should have asked for help. Otherwise you're not really serious about wanting to be sober, in my opinion.

If you want it you can do it, I mean you just had 6 weeks, man.

There's lots of support here.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome blairg

yeah staying sober is an ongoing project and commitment, at least for a while.

This place helped me turn my life around and stay sober - I know we can help you to do the same

D
Old 02-25-2021, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome blairg. I don’t post much but I visit this site every day, usually several times a day. It has helped me to stay sober for over 2 years. I hope you stay with us. You can do this.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is hard when you first get out of rehab... I had a minor string of relapses because I couldn’t deal with the level of anxiety I was feeling. I got into another evening program, though, and I was able to make my way back. Can you use their follow-up program? Start doing online meetings ? Call a counselor there and come clean. Don’t be embarrassed. You won’t be the first to leave the bubble and relapse, I am sure, but you need to reach out for support before you lose too much progress.

Good luck and let us know how it’s going!
Old 03-04-2021, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to the 'best' facility too, cost £20,000 for 4 weeks?! Took me 8 weeks to crack even with aftercare and AA. I have a few friends with long term sobriety and i believe it when they say that you have to be ready to commit to sobriety it can't be forced on you. There are plenty more resources out there to help you stop drinking so you are not a lost cause. Good luck,
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My personal experience is that my life gets better when I stay sober.
If for no other reason than I'm not sick all the time.