Notices

The sober life for good Weekenders 26 February - 1 March 2021

Old 02-24-2021, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

The sober life for good Weekenders 26 February - 1 March 2021

The Sober life for good.

At first I thought of sober life for good, forever.

Which knowing how addiction affects me with no ‘off switch’ would be a good thing.

But no, not just for good as in forever but for good, as in it’s great being sober!

When I look at the positives of being sober I wonder why I didn’t get sober earlier.

Some misconceptions I thought was what a dreary life without booze. What do I do if I’m not drinking? Everybody drinks! I couldn’t imagine a life without drink.

Misconceptions definitely!

All sobriety has brought me is living a good life true to myself.

No hangovers.

No blackouts.

No worries of drunk texts and phone calls.

No worries of driving any time I like.

I could add many more to my list of the benefits of being sober. I’m sure you can relate and add to the list.

When I was newly sober and the cravings got bad I reminded myself this is the path I’ve chose. The sober road.

I needed to get through the bracken before I came to the smoother road.

Then all of a sudden there’s a clearing, the road ahead looks brighter and I’m more sure footed without a prop than I’ve ever been.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 02-25-2021, 12:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Mags, I'm IN for the weekend!

Two weeks running: SHOTGUN!
Old 02-25-2021, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mags, there's a slight little problem with the title of the thread... 29 February 2021? I think you mean 1 March!
Old 02-25-2021, 12:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags
I’m here for a sober weekend too
hi Robbie congratulations on shotgun again!

I don’t mind if it’s Feb 29th or March 1st.
I feel a bit sorry for those with a birthday on the 29th Feb, or a soberversary.... do they only get to celebrate every 4 years I wonder?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

the 15min edit window is over so I fixed the dates
My friend is born 29th Feb - this year she'll celebrate it on the 28th.

My R leg gives way like that too Mags - they made a bolstering leg brace for me - hope your solution is easier

D
Old 02-25-2021, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun Robbie

What am I like! I didn’t refer to the calendar but funnily enough I was thinking March will be here soon! I don’t think I can change it now. Shame it isn’t leap year!

Dee happy birthday to your friend on the 28/29th
I’m pleased there are supports and braces for our aids.
I stopped running because the left knee used to swell up when I did. I was advised to run on grass, it didn’t make any difference and my running days fizzled out. I my wear my knee support bandage for a while in case I’ve weakened it.

Hiya Willow, must be nice being born on the 29th February, I’m sure there’s always jokes on the non leap year birthdays.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. Hope you are not feeling too sore this morning.

Good luck with the vaccine today, Robbie.

Hi Willow, I hope Jonathon is keeping well at the beach.

Captain Haddock I hope the vaccination programme speeds up and that you and your loved ones receive it soon.

I hope your leg brace isn't too uncomfortable, Dee.

Bim, I hope your second jab is again uneventful. I must admit I am glad I have three months before mine. Don't ask me why as I don't know.

I am thinking of planting a hedge in my front garden. I can only afford to buy very young plants so it will take years to establish, grow, and flourish - a bit like a sober life.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags

hope you're not feeling too battered today
Old 02-25-2021, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I’m in. Caramel suggested at the end of the last thread that you consider showing/sending your doctor a copy of the security footage showing your fall. I just hope that between him and Mr Mags you don’t end up on YouTube . Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Kaily, when we do become eligible I’ll be sure to book my jab for around 7 o’clock in the evening, which seems like a good idea, judging by the experiences that have been shared here. Yes, hedges tend to take some time to get established, unless you go for something like privets that are fast-growing, but are not necessarily to everyone’s liking.

Nice to see you as always, Reid, Robbie, andyh, Willow and Dee.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mags, thank you. I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this part of your OP:
I’m more sure footed without a prop than I’ve ever been.
I'll just leave quietly...with my own sprained ankle from stepping wrong on a sidewalk. Ugh. Hope you feel better.

The road opening up part did resonate with me though. When I am having troubles it seems like my mind collapses on itself and the Ego takes over and just tells me, "Woe is me. Why do bad things always happen to meeeeee? Life isn't fair. How dare he/she?" and blah blah blah and on it goes. When my mind is clear, the world opens and I can lift my head up and above it all. Seems to me like alcohol is a tether to the darkness. It's very hard to slog out of the dark swamp when drinking.

If you're new to sobriety or this thread, please post and shine a light on the darkness.

Rise above it, like my friends here. Confidence and the utmost in sure-footedness. I'll just close my eyes until she comes down from this thirty foot high tightrope with a newborn...

Woodland Park Zoo Blog March 2020
Old 02-25-2021, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, it was a bit of an oxymoron
Gorgeous pic of Momma and baby gorilla. Very sure-footed!

Captain it doesn’t bear thinking about my tripping video on YouTube. Mr. Mags did have the grace not to laugh though.

Kaily a hedge in your front garden will be lovely. I’m sure it’ll soon grow. It’ll be good watching it grow from young.

Hi Reid and Andy

I’ve got a new bird table at last. My friends husband made it for me. When I manage to get some photos with birds on it I’ll post them.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! Thanks, Mags.

Just had my bi-weekly COVID test. Negative. I found out yesterday that technically, I'm eligible for the vaccine starting Monday, since I come in contact with students. BUT, I'd still have to get in line behind folks over 65, health care workers, first responders, and medically vulnerable people... and we are pretty far behind on vaccinating those people here. So it's still going to be some time before I will get my first dose. It's ok. I can wait. BUT I did feel uplifted when I realized that it might be sooner than my original estimate of the middle of the summer. So it's something to look forward to.

Regarding the OP. The biggest benefit for me always has been, and will continue to be, the fact that I can look myself in the mirror without self-loathing now. I used to absolutely avoid mirrors, literally and figuratively. Beyond the obvious physical benefits of not drinking that I can see in the mirror, I'm not afraid to examine myself internally. By that I mean, I used to not want to think about the person I had become and the things I was doing - my behaviors - when I was still drinking. Avoidance was really important to me then - I swept things under the rug all the time, lying to myself and everyone constantly. While I still have a way to go in forgiving myself for the past behaviors, I don't avoid thinking about it anymore, and I can work through it when a particularly bad memory pops up. All leading to healing. Used to be that I'd pour another drink when I started to examine myself and what I was doing. Which of course is a vicious cycle.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good afternoon Weekenders, it's good to be back, I have missed you all. Sorry to vanish suddenly, it was not down to anything anyone said on this thread. My sobriety is more important to me than my pride so here I am. Many thanks for all the pm's and tags, they were much appreciated.

Thanks for the OP Mags, you can add better employment/career performance and a lot of money saved to that list. I hope you are healing from your slip and fall the other day. They can be painful.

I had my Covid19 jab a few hours ago (Pfizer/BioNtech) For such a big operation it seemed very well run, I just wish I didn't have to wait 12 weeks for the booster jab.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I am thinking of planting a hedge in my front garden. I can only afford to buy very young plants
I think that's what Hedge Fund Managers are for Kaily.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Evening Sao, it’s great to have you back!
Old 02-25-2021, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Nice to see you again, Sao.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Sao
Old 02-25-2021, 08:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks guys!