Notices

Missed you guys. My return is pending...

Old 02-16-2021, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Missed you guys. My return is pending...

And a special thanks to @dpac414 who messaged me not too long ago. My only excuse, as the binges are turning ever so naturally into everyday drinking, is the damn lockdown. AA meetings were so key to me in my 14 month sober stint. I guess I'm just trying to hope the timing gets right when they are back on in the UK and I'm ready to call it a day. I mean I know there's Zoom and all but it's just not my jam. One 'good' thing with my sober stint was showing me I have clinical depression (I always denied it in spite of a diagnosis) but that doesn't really help me when I actually abstain. I'm not really into the higher power stuff of AA but I like the meetings. But I really ******* hate clinical depression, sober...
Old 02-16-2021, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tetrax. Welcome back. Yes, depression is so tough, and the lockdowns have layered challenges on top of everyone's normal allotment of curve balls, that is for certain. I know people in my real life that I thought were normies that are now exploring sobriety and questioning their relationship with alcohol, and I know people in recovery that have had a terrible year back to drinking. I don't think any of us were prepared for the isolation. I may have joined the ranks of drinking again, who knows? But then I got a nasty case of Covid.

Even if you are still drinking, don't make your return pending. Come back now.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to see you posting, Tetrax. Stay with us.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Tetrax.

Don't postpone recovery. Grab it now!

Ultimately, alcohol is never going to be cure for depression. It's a depressant in itself, and other ways, over time, needed to combat it.

It's all doable. Outcome positive.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey Tetrax, nice to see your name again. I too took a bit of a hiatus from here last year due to some of the things surrounding COVID, but I'm very glad to be back and hope you are too.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back Tetrax

D
Old 02-16-2021, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, Tetrax sorry things are tough, depression is bleak, like a black hole, but you can climb out soberly.

Glad to see you back.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's great to see you back again @Tetrax! I'm sorry that your drinking is getting back to the bad old days but you can turn it around!
Old 02-16-2021, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Tetrax,

great to see you again. You had to overcome so many obstacles to get sober, I hope you'll find the power to reboot your life again very soon. Go that one step further from pending to doing. Please!
Old 02-16-2021, 10:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Tetrax! It is great to see you here again.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back here.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

While the lock downs are being respected, AA just can't be the way you want. Yeah, there is AA/zoom, and maybe some people get something from that. I've been in a couple of zoom meetings with a group that is highly important to me, but has nothing to do with alcohol. The meetings, webinars, or whatever, are just not the same, and not even close, nor as useful or inspiring. It's about like the difference between driving a jaguar, and riding a really old and junky 1 speed bike.

None the less, sobriety is no less important when AA is not around, and the idea, at least for me, was to eventually be sober without the crutch. You may think about that and see what changes you can make in your head that will be a step in that direction. I like the personal contact of actual meetings. I get that. I wish this forum was big enough to be a nationally known meeting supporting organization, but without the personal face to face, I don't think you will not do much better than right here, and I'm sure a lot of us feel like we are in your place right now, cut off from life support, and left on our own. That being the case, there will be people here you can relate to, and you are not the first to mention your specific feelings on the issue.

And welcome back. I've noticed that you were gone.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
And a special thanks to @dpac414 who messaged me not too long ago. My only excuse, as the binges are turning ever so naturally into everyday drinking, is the damn lockdown. AA meetings were so key to me in my 14 month sober stint. I guess I'm just trying to hope the timing gets right when they are back on in the UK and I'm ready to call it a day. I mean I know there's Zoom and all but it's just not my jam. One 'good' thing with my sober stint was showing me I have clinical depression (I always denied it in spite of a diagnosis) but that doesn't really help me when I actually abstain. I'm not really into the higher power stuff of AA but I like the meetings. But I really ******* hate clinical depression, sober...
I mean... the lockdown is not an excuse.

WELCOME BACK!!
Old 02-17-2021, 04:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
While the lock downs are being respected, AA just can't be the way you want. Yeah, there is AA/zoom, and maybe some people get something from that. I've been in a couple of zoom meetings with a group that is highly important to me, but has nothing to do with alcohol. The meetings, webinars, or whatever, are just not the same, and not even close, nor as useful or inspiring. It's about like the difference between driving a jaguar, and riding a really old and junky 1 speed bike.

None the less, sobriety is no less important when AA is not around, and the idea, at least for me, was to eventually be sober without the crutch. You may think about that and see what changes you can make in your head that will be a step in that direction. I like the personal contact of actual meetings. I get that. I wish this forum was big enough to be a nationally known meeting supporting organization, but without the personal face to face, I don't think you will not do much better than right here, and I'm sure a lot of us feel like we are in your place right now, cut off from life support, and left on our own. That being the case, there will be people here you can relate to, and you are not the first to mention your specific feelings on the issue.

And welcome back. I've noticed that you were gone.
Wow I really appreciate that and remember you also and hope you're doing well
Old 02-17-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Tetrax, I too noticed you weren't posting. I sometimes revert to reading and PMing only, so thought maybe that's what you were doing too, or that you had it all figured out. Returning to SR is a great start to refiguring it out....
Old 02-18-2021, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Welcome back Tetrax, I too noticed you weren't posting. I sometimes revert to reading and PMing only, so thought maybe that's what you were doing too, or that you had it all figured out. Returning to SR is a great start to refiguring it out....
Tatsy! Always appreciated your posts. Hope you're good.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I really hope you get back to not drinking Tetrax.
You were so important to my recovery when I stopped, 19 months ago. I remember your story very well and for some reason, it was really inspiring to read you overcome every obstacle and made me feel that I could do it too. I have really missed you and it saddened me when you returned very briefly to tell us you were drinking again and then disappeared again.
Telling you all this just so you know that you not only quit drinking, you also helped me substantially (and probably others) to quit drinking. You have been missed. Would love to see you back.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackandScared View Post
I really hope you get back to not drinking Tetrax.
You were so important to my recovery when I stopped, 19 months ago. I remember your story very well and for some reason, it was really inspiring to read you overcome every obstacle and made me feel that I could do it too. I have really missed you and it saddened me when you returned very briefly to tell us you were drinking again and then disappeared again.
Telling you all this just so you know that you not only quit drinking, you also helped me substantially (and probably others) to quit drinking. You have been missed. Would love to see you back.
Thank you for that. That's amazing you've gone so sober. Many congrats. Also I just posted another thread to help show my determination to quit (as well as to get tips for how to).