Notices

Negative thoughts

Old 02-06-2021, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Negative thoughts

I've started to think about negative thought surrounding my alcohol and drug use recently. I suppose I could say its part of the craving, I think it and feel it in my head. I'm on day 2 and already worrying about the coming days.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Izzyak View Post
I think it and feel it in my head.
Don't believe everything you think and feel. Addictions are tricky with that stuff.
Congrats on day 2. Keep it going!

Old 02-06-2021, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I still have negative thoughts almost daily.

Not sure if it is related to my addiction or if it stands alone.

I take notes to myself, on my phone these days, noting what I am feeling and then using all sorts of techniques I got off the internet to figure it out.

Taking responsibility for my situation is one I have used. Exercise helps. Sleep helps.

We here know there is no problem that drinking can't make worse.

Booze is poison. I hate the stuff.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dealing with those types of thoughts became a much better process as I built sober time.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply everyone, I need to start thinking positive because it's TRUE what they say if your thinking or thoughts are negative then theres high chanced of negative behaviours.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To get rid of negative thoughts, I'd suggest practicing gratitude every day. Find as many things to be grateful for as you can. Concentrate on what you have versus what you don't have. Being grateful changed my whole life for the better.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Least,
I will certainly try gratitude. If it changed your life for the better then it can have a great impact on me.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here are some links that helped me Izzy

Challenging negative thinking | ReachOut.com Australia

Negative Self-Talk: 9 Ways To Silence Your Inner Critic

Challenging Negative Self-Talk | Psych Central

Positive thinking: Reduce stress by eliminating negative self-talk - Mayo Clinic

https://web.archive.org/web/20190515...self-talk.html (archived page)

D

Old 02-06-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you are alone with your thoughts you are behind enemy lines! It would be good if you could get some help from a support group or sponsor!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As your sobriety grows these thoughts will dissipate Izzy.

We all have negative thoughts for sure, but not the terrible self flagillating ones we can experience in early sobriety.

Sobriety brings positivity even through the difficult times, because we know we are dealing with life on life's terms, and we are growing. Changing.

This is only day day 2 Izzy. The good stuff lies ahead. Don't get me wrong, it has not been easy, but is so much better than self destruct mode. No way for me anymore.

It gets easier, but need to stay connected with others here, elsewhere. People who understand, and we do.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone for the support and advice. I've been living with this illness for far too long and it's time to REALLY change for the better. I remember the only time I really was enjoying life was when I was abroad on holiday and I had not alcohol or drugs near me, I felt so full of life and that's what I want back. not this addiction where I'm going round and round in circles feeling depressed and the rest.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank every day for 25 years. When I quit, I didn’t think I could make it a hour without finding a drink. I was literally taking it a minute/ hour at a time. Then I got a few days under my belt and I started getting to where I could take the morning or afternoon at a time. Then after a while, it was a day at a time.
making through one day was a miracle and a lifetime. Now I am about 20 days away from 1000 days. My point is- I was like the 700 pound person who could not walk across the floor- slowly but surely one step at a time- I’ve become that marathon runner with the wind in his back.