Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Why can't I think the same after drinking almost 2 fifths (1.15 L) of Caliber Vodka in a 24 hours

Notices

Why can't I think the same after drinking almost 2 fifths (1.15 L) of Caliber Vodka in a 24 hours

Old 02-01-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by HigherDrunk View Post
Only way I can see myself drinking again is if it's been a year from now and I'm still having cognitive issues and forming my sentences. If that's the case after a year of sobriety then l'd know for sure I ****** something up and probably fall into a deep depression I'd probably never be able to recover from...
That you would even contemplate drinking after what has happened, and after what you said about your drinking and the results of it, shows that alcoholism is itself a mental impairment.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:53 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

90 DAY UPDATE

Hi all, it's been a while since I (or really anyone for that matter....) has posted in this thread. Since then, I've maintained sobriety and am continuing to better myself. As for my brain... it's been a battle to say the least. Some cognitive abilities have been restored, but not all unfortunately. Not to where to where it was before the blackout anyways... I'm going to have some tests done, MRI, EGG, Bloodwork and another nuerovaluation done in the next couple months to see if it a tumor or nerve disease or something on that level. I have a feeling it isn't but who knows at this point... I'm happy with my cognitive improvements so far, but not at all satisfied. I feel like 90 days without drinking and 100 days without blacking out should have been plenty of time for my brain to return back to normal. It's scary that it hasn't yet.....
Old 04-11-2021, 04:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said above, it takes what it takes HD

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/452068-why-cant-i-think-same-after-drinking-almost-2-fifths-1-15-l-caliber-vodka-24-hours-3.html#post7584534 (Why can't I think the same after drinking almost 2 fifths (1.15 L) of Caliber Vodka in a 24 hours)

I drank for years- 90 days was nowhere near long enough for me to feel like I'd rectified the damage.
You've drank at least for 3 years, right? 90 days is obviously not enough time for you either.

its a great sign you see improvement tho., Try and be patient

D
Old 04-11-2021, 05:05 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like I said above, it takes what it takes HD

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/452068-why-cant-i-think-same-after-drinking-almost-2-fifths-1-15-l-caliber-vodka-24-hours-3.html#post7584534 (Why can't I think the same after drinking almost 2 fifths (1.15 L) of Caliber Vodka in a 24 hours)

I drank for years- 90 days was nowhere near long enough for me to feel like I'd rectified the damage.
You've drank at least for 3 years, right? 90 days is obviously not enough time for you either.

its a great sign you see improvement tho., Try and be patient

D
I remember reading a reply of yours in another thread that your brain fog lifted after 3 months.?
Old 04-11-2021, 05:24 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I really hesitate to tell this part of my story. I have withheld it because I don’t want to encourage anyone to try this. But last year when I was putting together some good sobriety...around 4-5 months I kept feeling “not right”. I was lethargic, had headaches, anxiety. I just was not improving after doing a number to myself over the years. Towards the end of that stint up to 20 shots in about 8 hours was pretty common. Anyway, I ended up relapsing. And I went really off the deep end. I can’t really say how much I drank over a 5 day period all I can say is that it was A LOT. Well, I finally got ahold of myself (with the help of AA and the forum) and started putting together more sober days. And while I still feel “off”, I am improved. No matter what anyone ever says to me, medical or not, I will always believe that that binge “reset” me. I have no explanation for it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Because I don’t think anyone could ever know if another drunk would push you towards normal or make things much worse - a betting person would have to say the odds favor a decline.

My point in all of this is that I believe we fiddle with our brain and body chemistries when we binge. Each time we push hard on all of our systems the body and brain are literally fighting for their lives. I think that the body/brain try hard to first survive and then to recover. I also think the body/brain decide when to stop “recovering” and when to start existing. I feel like if I started at a 7, when I would binge I would go to a 2 or 3 and then the body/brain would fight like hell to recover. Sometimes I would return to a 6 or 7. Sometimes only to a 5...and I mean over months only back to a 5. My second to last drunk finally put me back to a 7 and I don’t really want to test it again. Today I exist at a 7. I will also mention that I have cirrhosis from all of my drinking, also my ability to
formulate and express thoughts is seriously diminished. I have absolutely no doubt it is a result of the drugs and alcohol and all of the neuropathways that they damaged and modified. Our brains are truly miracles, so they find a way to make due, but I have little doubt that you farted something
up in there. I would recommend some serious sobriety. Vigorous exercise and a lot of liquids and vitamins. We have to build back what we damaged. I really wish you the best. I can truly relate to your situation.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:40 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
I really hesitate to tell this part of my story. I have withheld it because I don’t want to encourage anyone to try this. But last year when I was putting together some good sobriety...around 4-5 months I kept feeling “not right”. I was lethargic, had headaches, anxiety. I just was not improving after doing a number to myself over the years. Towards the end of that stint up to 20 shots in about 8 hours was pretty common. Anyway, I ended up relapsing. And I went really off the deep end. I can’t really say how much I drank over a 5 day period all I can say is that it was A LOT. Well, I finally got ahold of myself (with the help of AA and the forum) and started putting together more sober days. And while I still feel “off”, I am improved. No matter what anyone ever says to me, medical or not, I will always believe that that binge “reset” me. I have no explanation for it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Because I don’t think anyone could ever know if another drunk would push you towards normal or make things much worse - a betting person would have to say the odds favor a decline.

My point in all of this is that I believe we fiddle with our brain and body chemistries when we binge. Each time we push hard on all of our systems the body and brain are literally fighting for their lives. I think that the body/brain try hard to first survive and then to recover. I also think the body/brain decide when to stop “recovering” and when to start existing. I feel like if I started at a 7, when I would binge I would go to a 2 or 3 and then the body/brain would fight like hell to recover. Sometimes I would return to a 6 or 7. Sometimes only to a 5...and I mean over months only back to a 5. My second to last drunk finally put me back to a 7 and I don’t really want to test it again. Today I exist at a 7. I will also mention that I have cirrhosis from all of my drinking, also my ability to
formulate and express thoughts is seriously diminished. I have absolutely no doubt it is a result of the drugs and alcohol and all of the neuropathways that they damaged and modified. Our brains are truly miracles, so they find a way to make due, but I have little doubt that you farted something
up in there. I would recommend some serious sobriety. Vigorous exercise and a lot of liquids and vitamins. We have to build back what we damaged. I really wish you the best. I can truly relate to your situation.
It's funny how in your story you said that you were able to regain some of your cognitive abilities by binge drinking. I actually thought of doing the same thing. Like... maybe if I drank a lot in a short period of time I might be able to "reverse" the effect in some weird way. It's something I won't try unless I'm 2 years into sobriety and still have yet to notice any significant changed. I mean... at that point what's there to lose, right?
Old 04-11-2021, 06:17 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It's funny how in your story you said that you were able to regain some of your cognitive abilities by binge drinking. I actually thought of doing the same thing. Like... maybe if I drank a lot in a short period of time I might be able to "reverse" the effect in some weird way. It's something I won't try unless I'm 2 years into sobriety and still have yet to notice any significant changed. I mean... at that point what's there to lose, right?
There’s a lot to lose. I mean, your assumption in trying something like that is the it could not get worse. If you ever met anyone with wet brain you would know that is not true. Be patient with yourself. Eat right, drink water, exercise and sleep more. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:22 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember reading a reply of yours in another thread that your brain fog lifted after 3 months.?
yeah thats true for the brain fog - but other things like creativity, speed of memory, and what I felt was full mental acuity took longer.

The two responses don't contradict each other - you've seen some improvement in 3 months - that improvement, I expect, will continue

D
Old 04-11-2021, 06:26 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

No matter what anyone ever says to me, medical or not, I will always believe that that binge “reset” me.
Thats scary if you still believe that. The AV dies hard I guess.

Maybe you drank yourself to the point of accepting you had to choose option B - recovery - or die?
Recovery was a lot better/easier for me once I stopped try to find ways to keep drinking in my life.

D
Old 04-11-2021, 11:56 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Yeah, sorry guys (Higher Drunk and BeABetterMan). Binge drinking, even a one-off session, is not part of the solution to the problems caused by repeated sessions of binge drinking. I think that's your disease telling you lies. The solution is abstinence.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:37 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

bump
Old 04-29-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

How’s it going HD?

D
Old 04-29-2021, 06:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Permanent brain damage from a single (albeit extremely heavy) bender.
I don't think that's very likely.

However, I know a lot of alcoholics including myself and what you describe is more or less how we all drink. Alcohol is a terrible drug to abuse. Even more terrible when you have little control over how much you consume once you start.

It will kill you if you continue like that.
If you don't end up in jail first.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'd like to know how you're doing too, HD.

We care.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:25 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
~sb

My brain made many changes in sobriety. Every month things were different. Today, I am almost 10 years sober and in pretty good shape. I also just turned 60.

Sobriety is action. It's aso a series of processes and changes. Keep moving forward, stay stopped and see what happens next!
Old 04-30-2021, 12:50 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How’s it going HD?

D
Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I'd like to know how you're doing too, HD.

We care.
Still sober.. It's slowly but surely improving.... Like, stuffs better than the last time I posted. I'd give my brain a 6/10 right now compared to last times 5.2/10. So things are improving... Abeit a lot slowly than I would of liked. I hope with more time I can get back to a 8/10 like I was before this God-Awful blackout.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:15 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad there's been some improvement HD and I'm hoping you'll find more in time

D