Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Why can't I think the same after drinking almost 2 fifths (1.15 L) of Caliber Vodka in a 24 hours

Notices

Why can't I think the same after drinking almost 2 fifths (1.15 L) of Caliber Vodka in a 24 hours

Old 01-30-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by HigherDrunk View Post
This sounds like my problem to an extent... though my problem is more frequent and noticeable. Instead of just running into a jam trying to solve a complex problem, I run into 'jams' almost every time I try to form a sentence... especially in my head. (for example whilst I was typing I missed the "my" in my first sentence) As where before I would have never have had this issue to begin with. Maybe I'd have it a day or 2 after a bender but it'd usually go away after a couple of days of abstinence.

I think you mentioned before that you were able to regain your cognitive abilities after 3 months of abstinence. May I ask you how much of your 'wit' you were able regain? (Like through %) Also did you do anything besides remaining sober to combat your issue or was it not that noticeable for you to even bother?
For sure, that sort of forgetfulness was a feature of my diminished capacity. I mostly avoided speaking to others when it wasn’t necessary. I edited my own posts here - a lot. Still do, but it doesn’t take me more than one try to get it right. . Was it bothersome? Absolutely. It’s just not the thing my brain chose to obsess over.

After 3 months, I thought I’d pretty much recovered, so I was doing well. I dunno, maybe 90%? At a year, I feel maybe 102%

Try not to worry. Based on the doctor’s feedback it appears that you didn’t break your brain. Maybe transfer that energy to learning about neuroplasticity and playing games that exercise your brain. Learning about mindfulness would probably also be beneficial.

O
Old 01-30-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hey HD, know things will get better for you. Staying on your sober path is the best thing you can do now and trying to be patient with yourself in recovery. Many people experience significant brain fog, aphasia (inability to find words), inability to write and difficulty concentrating/ thinking in early sobriety. It does generally get better and many describe feeling sharper than ever a year or so later.

I am not a doctor, and no one here can give you definitive answer. But I have studied the brain extensively during psychology degree and know it is actually pretty damned amazing at fixing itself, despite what we have been lead to believe. And one IQ point is not a significant deviation from your “normal” level. IQ tests are subjective, not perfect. It is highly unlikely one drinking session, no matter how extreme, can lead to an actual TBI, unless you also hit your head very hard when blacked out or had a stroke. Both seem unlikely given what you describe of the day and the after effects and that you are 25.

I think your anxiety and crazy brain are just fixating on this a little. Perhaps just wait and see and focus on what you can control for now, if possible . Be kind to yourself.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response. Though, I think you may have misinterpreted what I meant when I say I can't think clearly. Never when I drank did I think I was smarter than when I was sober. I just drank because it made me feel good and helped me sleep, not because I thought it made me more intelligent. Not even in the slightest. Also.. do you mind elaborating for me how your thinking was "very scrambled"? Were you experiencing any of the same symptoms as I? The inability to express your thoughts? The not being able to think coherently and constantly making mistakes in your writing? Anyways thank you for your insight and response.
It affects your brain .
A lot of help here .
Keep posting .
Old 01-31-2021, 08:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have been taking an omega 3 fish oil supplement which is recommended to help brain heal.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi HD. I can not tell you with 100 percent certainty if you are going to be 100 percent ok ever again. What I do can tell you with 100 percent certainty: things will get worse if you drink again. Even after recovery now, the brain will remember this point and will go on from there if you start over. So what you have to do is have faith and choose the sober path. Find out why you drink. And realise that alcohol causes depression and anxiety. Although we want to think of that the other way around. You don't know this yet because you're not really sober yet but once you are you will realise people are ment to be sober to be at their best and funniest etc to write text messages to ex girlfriends etc. Take this event as a warning from the Universe. Somebody has a better plan with you than forgetting to live drowning yourself. Take this chance and never forget. The best way to do that is to join a weekly group of AA. Because that Alcoholdevil will try to seduce you as soon you will be better ( which can take some time. Maybe more than some weeks. Don't give up). But you will win. If you stay sober.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Ps About that AA group? Make it a lifelong promised gift commitment. Old Al is very patient..
Old 01-31-2021, 01:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Samantha

I mean, I have drank more than that in 24hrs and I am much smaller, and I am okay for the most part.
I stopped drinking a month ago.
However, everyone is different! If you've seen your doctor that is excellent, and if you give it more time without alcohol, you will probably start to feel much better.
I find running or speed walking really helps the brain relax and rejuvenate!
Old 01-31-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tanky View Post
Hey HD, know things will get better for you. Staying on your sober path is the best thing you can do now and trying to be patient with yourself in recovery. Many people experience significant brain fog, aphasia (inability to find words), inability to write and difficulty concentrating/ thinking in early sobriety. It does generally get better and many describe feeling sharper than ever a year or so later.

I am not a doctor, and no one here can give you definitive answer. But I have studied the brain extensively during psychology degree and know it is actually pretty damned amazing at fixing itself, despite what we have been lead to believe. And one IQ point is not a significant deviation from your “normal” level. IQ tests are subjective, not perfect. It is highly unlikely one drinking session, no matter how extreme, can lead to an actual TBI, unless you also hit your head very hard when blacked out or had a stroke. Both seem unlikely given what you describe of the day and the after effects and that you are 25.

I think your anxiety and crazy brain are just fixating on this a little. Perhaps just wait and see and focus on what you can control for now, if possible . Be kind to yourself.
I hope you, my doctor, and everyone else who replied to this thread are right. Like I've said earlier, I cannot stand to think that I might be like this for the rest of my life. I'm 21 days in now and don't have any desires or urges to drink again. At least, not until a very long time. I don't think I had a TBI either, though I wonder if the mixture of the alcohol and my emotions going through the roof (since I was having a serious conversation with an ex) is to blame? I'm sure my brain was on overdrive whilst texting her that night because I really cared about what she had to say and what I had to say to her. Maybe that's why I developed these symptoms after that night? Who knows really... either way thanks for you input and response. It's greatly appreciated!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Macaroni1234 View Post
I have been taking an omega 3 fish oil supplement which is recommended to help brain heal.
I've been taking those along side vitamins and lions mane.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSober77 View Post
Hi HD. I can not tell you with 100 percent certainty if you are going to be 100 percent ok ever again. What I do can tell you with 100 percent certainty: things will get worse if you drink again. Even after recovery now, the brain will remember this point and will go on from there if you start over. So what you have to do is have faith and choose the sober path. Find out why you drink. And realise that alcohol causes depression and anxiety. Although we want to think of that the other way around. You don't know this yet because you're not really sober yet but once you are you will realise people are ment to be sober to be at their best and funniest etc to write text messages to ex girlfriends etc. Take this event as a warning from the Universe. Somebody has a better plan with you than forgetting to live drowning yourself. Take this chance and never forget. The best way to do that is to join a weekly group of AA. Because that Alcoholdevil will try to seduce you as soon you will be better ( which can take some time. Maybe more than some weeks. Don't give up). But you will win. If you stay sober.
You don't need to convince me to not drink again. After that last bender I knew I needed to stop for good... because hoIy **** the aftermath from that was scary. Only way I can see myself drinking again is if it's been a year from now and I'm still having cognitive issues and forming my sentences. If that's the case after a year of sobriety then l'd know for sure I ****** something up and probably fall into a deep depression I'd probably never be able to recover from...
Old 01-31-2021, 02:37 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I mean, I have drank more than that in 24hrs and I am much smaller, and I am okay for the most part.
I stopped drinking a month ago.
However, everyone is different! If you've seen your doctor that is excellent, and if you give it more time without alcohol, you will probably start to feel much better.
I find running or speed walking really helps the brain relax and rejuvenate!
Did you drink 11 units in under a hour though.? I think that's what caused my issues; was because I drank so much in such little time. I think binging is more detrimental to your health than drinking alcohol periodically throughout the day.. least that's what research has told me. Don't really know for sure since I'm not a licensed professional.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
For sure, that sort of forgetfulness was a feature of my diminished capacity. I mostly avoided speaking to others when it wasn’t necessary. I edited my own posts here - a lot. Still do, but it doesn’t take me more than one try to get it right. . Was it bothersome? Absolutely. It’s just not the thing my brain chose to obsess over.

After 3 months, I thought I’d pretty much recovered, so I was doing well. I dunno, maybe 90%? At a year, I feel maybe 102%

Try not to worry. Based on the doctor’s feedback it appears that you didn’t break your brain. Maybe transfer that energy to learning about neuroplasticity and playing games that exercise your brain. Learning about mindfulness would probably also be beneficial.

O
I look at my post 3-5 times (depending on length) before posting it to analyze for errors. Only reason why it took so long on my original post was well... because it was just so long. XD

Thank you for sharing your story and experience with me. Hopefully, like you, in 3-12 months time I'll be feeling 90% to 102% back to normal. *fingers crossed*
Old 01-31-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I really think you are going to be ok. The important thing is that you don’t drink again. I hope another visit to your doctor will alleviate some anxiety.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:23 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

I very much doubt you'll be feeling this way in a year, but it takes what it takes. I said before I felt normal again at 3 months and that's true - but other things took much longer.

I am a musician and I used to write a lot.

I lost that creativity through my drinking. The well was dry.
It took me five years before that creative spark came back as good as it ever was.

I'm not saying this because I think it will take you five years - you didn't drink as much as I did, for as long, you're younger, no doubt fitter and you didn't have any mini strokes. I assume living with your folks you practice more self care than I did - eating regularly, sleeping etc..

I'm just trying to point out it takes as long as it takes for mind and body to heal.

Had I drank again in that 4th year, had I survived til now, I might still be mourning the loss of my creativity now.

Try and be patient. Everything I've heard about your story makes me believe you'll make a full recovery
Old 01-31-2021, 03:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I very much doubt you'll be feeling this way in a year, but it takes what it takes. I said before I felt normal again at 3 months and that's true - but other things took much longer.

I am a musician and I used to write a lot.

I lost that creativity through my drinking. The well was dry.
It took me five years before that creative spark came back as good as it ever was.

I'm not saying this because I think it will take you five years - you didn't drink as much as I did, for as long, you're younger, no doubt fitter and you didn't have any mini strokes. I assume living with your folks you practice more self care than I did - eating regularly, sleeping etc..

I'm just trying to point out it takes as long as it takes for mind and body to heal.

Had I drank again in that 4th year, had I survived til now, I might still be mourning the loss of my creativity now.

Try and be patient. Everything I've heard about your story makes me believe you'll make a full recovery
Thank you so much for your kind words and reassurance D. I think I will be done posting in this thread for now, unless there's such a contribution that I have to reply to.

I want to give back to this community for helping me through this difficult time in my life by giving an update every month or so on how I'm doing. I'm not sure if I want to do it by day or month milestone yet. Like, for example give an update on 50th day of sobriety or my 3rd month. I guess I'll decide on what to do eventually. Either way if you're reading this, no matter who you are I just want to thank you for taking time out of your day to listen to me and read my story.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:01 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

you'll always be welcome, I'm sure

D
Old 01-31-2021, 05:00 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Samantha

Did you drink 11 units in under a hour though.? I think that's what caused my issues; was because I drank so much in such little time. I think binging is more detrimental to your health than drinking alcohol periodically throughout the day.. least that's what research has told me. Don't really know for sure since I'm not a licensed professional.
I was exclusively a binge drinker.
I did not "drink throughout the day".
I slammed vodka. Sometimes mixed, usually not.

Also ashamed to say how much I drank on some of my trips to Mexico and Jamaica....but I feel like most people would have had alcohol poisoning. My tolerance was insanely high from being a binge drinker.

So glad those days are over.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Come back as often as you would like HD. But when you come back and post with an update on you, that won't be giving back to this community. If you want to do that, post here as often as you can in support of others. Or do that in some other way on another site. Or in real life. Doesn't have to be here on SR. Be there to help another person going through something that you can identify with and offer some support on, wherever that may be.

Having said that though, I definitely want to hear updates on how you are doing as often as possible.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

It would be great to hear updates from you HD.

I'm pretty much assured if you remain sober your updates will contain increasingly good news.

Wishing you all of the very best HD.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:50 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We'll always be glad to see your posts, no matter what's going on HD.