Notices

At 73 days now

Old 01-31-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yes, What Surrendered19 said!
Old 01-31-2021, 12:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
To start my sponsor was very out of line and crossed the line recently with me. He considers himself the "real AA" meaning if you're not sponsoring you're not doing AA. Ok that is fine, but I cant force someone to be my sponsee. He said some pretty unsavory things to me the other day about the "taking a break" with my wife and I which is really none of his business. He basically told me to get off of my prescribed medications which is even more bad advice. I know how I am not being on it and I recently got some terrible news so who wouldnt be in a bad mood? According to him bad mood or not bad news or not I need to be out there grinding the streets for other alcoholics to help. That is fine and all if you can do that and are retired with nothing else to do. I work and in school and trying to clean my mess up. I don't need his snarky remarks in my ear. So I had enough of it today and told him to kick rocks..

That is just todays news.
Yeah , that doesn’t sound like it was working at all. So is impressive that you got as far as you did with this guy . Shows much determination. Glad you could clarify this, because your previous post made it sound like you just sacked him on a whim. Hope you find a better fit.

FWIW, I am def. not doing AA at all , in your former sponsor’s books. 😂 I feel like I am light years away from sponsoring someone. Only have a temporary sponsor myself, in fact. I have had to learn to ignore a lot of the hard- line stuff that doesn’t fit for me. Because otherwise I will try to use it to justify not going, not doing it, othering myself from the rest of these cult members. Thought this might have resonated a bit for you in the sponsor sacking.

And your anger does seem familiar for me. I have spent most of past week or two skipping meetings or leaving halfway through. Because angry at AA and constant “demands” like prayer and meditation , service and 90 in 90 etc etc. Angry at sunshine-rainbows grateful alcoholics and being told I don’t have humility or aren’t doing xyz right or won’t be doing it until I do xyz or don’t have whatever, so will probably drink, et al.

But know this **** is mostly coming from inside me , and nothing and no-one out there. So maybe you are helping me to see , even as I thought I was posting on your thread trying to help you?

Old 01-31-2021, 01:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sponsor sounds like a bit of a control freak to me, and think you did right by yourself in giving him the sack. I hope you were able to express your misgivings to him in proper discourse. Well done you.

I used to attend AA. A journalist was in my group, and had been advised by his sponsor to stop taking his bipolar meds! I didn't know this, until one day, returning from work, found him wandering the streets in complete psychotic state. Had to bring him back to my home and get him help. Speaks volumes for not giving medical advice! Not all sponsors are like this I know, but you've got to be selective.

I just come here now. I'm not saying don't go to AA because I know it helps many people, and may still help you, but simply coming here is working for me. Thirteen months sober, and it is so much better.

I hope you set your calendar as advised by Surrendered. Count the days off and hang around here for support and understanding. Some really good people here GR.