Notices

needing help again

Old 01-31-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

needing help again

I've done plenty to try to stop drinking except actually stop for any length of time. I had a stretch of about 18 months sober after a medical treatment, so with the exception of that time I've been actively drinking about 40 years. I know it will send me to an early grave as well as destroying everything else in my life that's worthwhile.

I found this forum in another forum with very few active participants. I did see some words of wisdom there - I need a plan for not drinking.

I'm hungover right now. My plan for the day is:
  • Take the dog for a walk.
  • Call my daughter, who also has an alcohol problem, and let her know how I'm doing and see how she's doing.
  • Keep up the job hunt. My previous job became a COVID casualty, and I've thoroughly enjoyed (mostly drunk) about 6 months of unemployment.
  • Don't drink.
I'm not sure I know how to do the last one. Even as I'm typing this I'm thinking of a run to the liquor store. I'll be checking back in after walking the dog. Maybe someone will have something helpful for me.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'Don't drink'

Easier said than done when hungover. On the weekends I always used to practice hair of the dog.

My tips:
Find anything, and I mean anything to do besides drink. For me the below works.
1. Playing video games. Immersive ones that take a lot of attention.
2. Read. I read a lot. Hard to do drunk.
3. Physical activity- lots of projects around the house to be done.
4. Cleaning. This one really works for me when cravings are super intense.
5. Do you have a friend who is recovering from alcohol? If so call them and commiserate on how hangovers/withdrawal is the worst(this helped me through the first 2 or 3 days a bunch)
Old 01-31-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Acute cravings typically come in “bursts” of about 20-30 minutes. Have a list of distractions planned and follow without deviation each one, and by the time you get partway down your list, the craving usually has peaked and passed. Each time you do that successfully, your “sober muscles” get stronger, and fairly soon, cravings get further apart and less strong. What I do:

I will make a cup of coffee or tea and drink it slowly, and if still craving eat something I really like. Ice cream is a favorite for many, but oatmeal with butter and maple syrup has been my “go to” lately. Next, I take a walk and listen to an audible book if I still want to drink. Sometimes, I journal if a lot of emotion is coming up—that grief at losing our escape hatch is real and we have to create other healthy tools.

A hot shower and crawling into bed for a nap or an early night got me through many after work “witching hours”, or when I am just too tempted / tired to deal. Be kind to yourself above all. What you are doing is hard!

It works, and before you know it, sober is more the rule than exception. You can do this— make your own list and promise yourself to go through each step fully, and your craving should be gone or easily manageable.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place (I used to live in Denver years ago). Please spend some time reading the threads here in the Newcomers Forum. Then if you can relate to what all of us drunks have said, and how much our lives improved after we quit drinking, join the January or Feb 2021 class. You will get tons of support. You can totally get sober and have a great life, but first and foremost, you have to want it.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.

And, yeah, the intense cravings won't usually last too long, so do whatever you can think of to get through it. That's the way to make the next craving a bit easier.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can always come here when a craving hits. We can help you through it.
Just think about how good you will feel when you are no longer hungover. If you were to drink you would be putting yourself in a non stop hungover state and that is really no way to live. You can do this!
Old 01-31-2021, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Let's add on:
be active on sober recovery! the forums sure help.
or, even attend a meeting and get a sponsor.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Cralky

D