Notices

Ready

Old 12-22-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hm...you got me thinking now, with your reply...when i think of "ready", i wasn't vthinking of it in terms of preparations such as completing certain things prior to quitting.
that hadn't occurred to me in that sense.
i mean it in the sense of absolute desperation i felt to be rid of this millstone around my neck and soul.

i do understand the "i need to do a, b and c first, as i did that many times, including the setting of dates.
ultimately, i quit three weeks before yet one more date i had set.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You may regret not quitting today. That one last drink could be......Waiting until the new year is just another excuse. Believe me, I have said all of them. I have promised myself all of them. I will quit tomorrow or the next day or next week. It never gets easier. Stay home alone and do something positive for yourself. Choose Life. Because alcohol will poison you, it will kill you
Old 12-22-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beaver08 View Post
Hi fini, I think you are right - I am actually not ready. I think I have a lot more preparing to do before I am ready. I want to get to that place though. I need to finish 'The Naked Mind' as my first step.
I think I understand where you are coming from. Alcohol is extremely hard to let go of.

You really are not going to miss out on anything in regards to Christmas and New Years.
Its going to be the same old same old. I was in Groundhogs Day for what seemed like years until ONE day I had really had enough. We each have our moment we say "I am done. Day 1"

Keep posting and processing. We love a good "process" around here.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beaver08 View Post
Wow, thank you for those words FreeOwl. I must admit, part of me feels pretty scared to embrace sobriety. It's such a huge part of my life. I don't know where the enjoyment of alcohol stopped and it became a need.
I understand that a thousand percent.

I was scared, too.

My fear kept me from living a better life. It kept me deluded. It kept me stuck.

My fear of 'not having fun' or 'not being cool' or being without my addiction kept me from fully being me and it led me to lots of awful outcomes in my life.

Eventually, the actual pain of my life outweighed the fear and I chose to choose sobriety.

It was ten million percent worth it.

I don't miss alcohol. At all.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Buttery, My story is a bit like yours in that I have tried many different avenues and continued to relapse. I would love to hear how things finally changed for you. Thank you!
Old 12-23-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

there's an old proverb that fits here

honestly you can prepare yourself to quit for years - and it will still be tough to quit. It always is.
You can prepare for years - and still never really feel 'ready'.

Don't let apprehension rule.

Take the leap - today.
It will be OK - we're all testament to that
Old 01-05-2021, 10:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone!
So I managed a couple of AF days between Christmas and New Year and been sober from the 1st Jan. I have bee feeling pretty tired and had a constant headache but nothing that was debilitating. Until tonight! My head is really hurting and I am feeling a bit sick! Is this normal? How do I ride it through?

Thank you!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good job Beaver! 4-5 days is the peak of physical withdrawal usually.. you're almost through it!

Assuming you didn't quit drinking coffee or something, headaches are fairly common the first week or so.

Take an Advil maybe? If it is really severe of course check with a doctor.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your new year's sobriety Beaver. Headaches and feeling sick can have a wide range of causes, if you don't think it's something that will pass on it's own maybe give your doctor a call? Getting rest, eating well, drinking plenty of water and maybe getting out for some fresh air/taking a walk never hurts either.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Good job Beaver! 4-5 days is the peak of physical withdrawal usually.. you're almost through it!

Assuming you didn't quit drinking coffee or something, headaches are fairly common the first week or so.

Take an Advil maybe? If it is really severe of course check with a doctor.
I thought this might be peak withdrawal! I have been in bed the last 40 minutes resting and tried mindfulness to 'own the withdrawal' but will take some pain killers too. Its not that bad to seek medical advice at the moment but will if it gets any worse. Its good to know I am almost through it! Thank you 🙂
Old 01-05-2021, 10:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on your new year's sobriety Beaver. Headaches and feeling sick can have a wide range of causes, if you don't think it's something that will pass on it's own maybe give your doctor a call? Getting rest, eating well, drinking plenty of water and maybe getting out for some fresh air/taking a walk never hurts either.
Thank you! I am feeling really good that I have managed to stay sober! I cant remember the last time I didn't drink for 5 days.

I am hoping this will pass and don't think I am at the stay to seek medical attention yet and hopefully won't be! I doubt it will be any other bug as havent really been out and about anywhere. I have started healthy eating too since the first so maybe its a bit of junk food withdrawal too!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning from australia, beaver. 🐨 I don't know a lot about beavers, but do know they are diligent and build good dams. Hope you've built a good one between you and the grog. It's so worth it beaver.

Everyone has said most of what needs to be said. All I can say now, at 12 months sober is, "why on earth did I do that to myself?! I now know I didn't deserve the big self destruct. None of us do.

Keep building those days beaver.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Good morning from australia, beaver. 🐨 I don't know a lot about beavers, but do know they are diligent and build good dams. Hope you've built a good one between you and the grog. It's so worth it beaver.

Everyone has said most of what needs to be said. All I can say now, at 12 months sober is, "why on earth did I do that to myself?! I now know I didn't deserve the big self destruct. None of us do.

Keep building those days beaver.
Thank you for your kind words! Nothing you ingest should make you feel like this. It just is reinforcing how much I need to rid it from my life. I am trying to focus on what I know comes next- energy and clarity!

Congratulations on your 12 months!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The energy and clarity will come beaver. Just keep taking the next right step.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
The energy and clarity will come beaver. Just keep taking the next right step.
Thank you 🙂
Old 01-05-2021, 01:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
RAL

Congrats on your 5 days sober It's normal to feel as you feel. Another couple of days and hopefully you'; start to feel loads better, stay hydrated, rest and eat well.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 5 fays beaver - stick with it and I'm sure you'll feel better soon

D
Old 01-05-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Congrats on your 5 days sober It's normal to feel as you feel. Another couple of days and hopefully you'; start to feel loads better, stay hydrated, rest and eat well.
Thank you! Felt better after dinner. I cant believe how thirsty I am - I am drinking water by the bucketful!
Old 01-05-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congrats on 5 fays beaver - stick with it and I'm sure you'll feel better soon

D
Thank you Dee! I feel better now but hope it passes soon.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

5 days is wonderful, beaver. Everything's going to get better. Be proud.