Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Notices

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Old 12-23-2020, 01:38 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I'll echo what Sao said - it's been a rough year, if you're struggling, reach out for help anywhere you can - your GP, support groups, whatever - you don't have to suffer by yourself, but sometimes you need more of a hand than SR can give.

I'm working right up til the end of tomorrow which is a bit meh, but I'm off next week which I'm looking forward to.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

stay safe folks
Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

I did my Christmas shopping yesterday. Just some clothes for my parents and toys for my younger nephews. Giving cash to my older niece and nephew.

Bit of a relief to have it out of the way. Shops are crazy this time of year.

I didn't get gifts for my nieces and nephews last year because all my spare cash went towards booze. So it feels nice to do it this year.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Magsie

freedomfries, It’s a good feeling to be able to use money that would be been spent on booze on our families.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I thought they’d been micro chipping cats for a while now. I don’t think it’s law but it’s a good idea of course.

Aw, Sao, that was really nice of you. A bit inconsiderate of the dog...maybe you gave him the wrong half.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Yes they have but they are thinking of making it law like it is with dogs.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Morning all.

Very clever, Kaily; thanks for the chuckle.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I'm enjoying my vacation and it's such a good feeling that I still have most of it left and already feel quite relaxed and accomplished. It definitely wasn't the case in many previous years, when I was drinking through these holidays. I also find it interesting that my anxiety decreased a lot almost from day 1 through a but over a month now. Some days are better than others, but it seems quite stable, and not what I was expecting, based on previous attempts at staying sober and what many people report in early recovery.

Mindnightblue and anyone else experiencing a serious low - I second the suggestions for some kind of professional help. MB, I followed some of your old posts and know you struggled with depression before, but don't remember what kinds of treatments you had for it. What you describe seems to go beyond just a phase of normal existential angst or something similar, it's not surprising you struggle so much trying to overcome it on your own. Doctors and decent professionals in mental health will not judge you negatively for any of your experiences and conditions, they are there to help, whether it's a physical health problem or emotional. If one is not helpful, try someone/something else. Depression often gets better on its own after a while but it may not be worth while-knuckling it so just that no one else will see it... For me, it's similar to addiction - very hard to resolve alone, without any external help, for most of us. Message boards like this, talking with friends etc can help, but sometimes it's just not enough. It definitely wasn't enough for me to take my recovery seriously and to find helpful tools to get better.

The weather is pretty good here today, I will go for a long walk to see more of the holiday lights/decorations in my city, in neighborhoods I have not visited for months now. I don't have any scheduled/pressing tasks until next week, so am just going to chill over Christmas.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

A song new to me, lyrics are quite inspiring:

Hope Christmas Gets You To Me ~ Lapwing (3:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I8jgWXxhI

Old 12-23-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Aellyce, Caramel (is that Glasgow in the video? I feel like I recognise it)

Possibly set to be UK No.1 over Christmas is a song by a synth duo that is only 57 seconds long and consists of mostly Anglo-Saxon words. It is very plangent.

I have eaten 4 mince pies today (worse, two of them were with cream) That's not good.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Hi Aellyce, pleased your vacation is going well.

Thanks Caramel, beautiful song.....and lights

Kaily, ah I misunderstood you, it’s a good idea to make it law.

Sao, mince pies with cream! Delicious.

Well I’m wrapped up with wrapping gifts and dropped them off from a distance.

Usually by now I’ve had a few Christmas lunches out with family and friends but this year none. Which I haven’t missed to be honest. We’re going to in-laws for Christmas lunch. I love being home Christmas Day (or any other day come to that, think I’m becoming a hermit) but as we’re in their bubble we’re going to in-laws.

I read about the village of Eyam, and how the villagers cut themselves off to contain the bubonic plague in the 1660’s. The plague had come in on some materials (fleas) from the city that was rife with the plague. Many people died in Eyam but by selflessly cutting themselves off, stopped the plague spreading to nearby towns.

I’m off to farm shop when they open. I was going yesterday but didn’t get there.

See you later with new thread.

Take care and be safe. xxxx
Old 12-23-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2020-a.html (Merry (lockdown) Christmas Weekenders 25-28 December 2020)