Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Notices

As the festive season looms - Weekenders 18 - 21 December 2020

Old 12-19-2020, 12:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Hello everyone, I am with you again for this weekend.

Manta, my Crimbo will be on my own This COVID thing does not allow me to travel but I guess we will zoom. Thank you!
I don't cry at all but I am not an overly emotional person... I hope you feel better.

MLD I like your list
I think that mine was too ambitious last time so I'll be modest.
I have to pick up my troll soon so it will be distracting him for the most part.
However, I really want to finish vacuuming and mopping, 2 rooms left. Libraries will wait
Also, wrap his gifts (not many this year as he is getting a 1k worth laptop as he starts a new learning programme due to his learning problems).

Have a great Saturday, December SRenders!
Old 12-19-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Manta-I can totally relate. It was awful for me too. I was crying and depressed all the time at the slightest thing. I was on different anti d-s before the docs realise what it was. I went on HRT and it was a miracle. I felt normal again. I stayed on it for 4 years but then came off due to surgery and stayed off it. Feel fine now. Though some women do stay on it long term. 'maybe speak with your doc.

Kaily I can sooooo relate. My mother is exactly the same out and about everywhere 'We lived through the war we can get through this' is a favourite quote of hers

Happy Sober Saturday everyone
Old 12-19-2020, 02:22 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

It's a late start for me today. I didn't get up until 9am and feel more tired than if I'd got up earlier. I've drawn up a list of things to do and intend to do them all today. Then after that i can relax this afternoon and watch sport on TV.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Velvetee, I’m sure your son will love his new laptop.

Robbie, enjoy your tv sport later. Your team are playing later I see.

Sun’s shining. It hasn’t half been windy though. I’m thinking UK is going to get snow next week , following US’s snow this week. (maybe)
Old 12-19-2020, 04:33 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Really looking forward to Christmas. I'm three months sober which is more than I've ever managed and I want my family to see the new sober me.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congrats freedomfries!!

it tried to snow a little bit this morning Mags, only for a few minutes though. Having a lazy day today snuggled up on the sofa with the cats. Hopefully there will be some good movies to watch. I re-joined the gym near me as it’s the only way I can get swimming, I really need the exercise and feel good chemicals that come with keeping active. Just need to charge up my Apple Watch to track what I do on the fitness app, x
Old 12-19-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Kaily, daisy looks very happy.

My brother has already gotten the vaccine in a trial and said that he has had no side effects at all. So much so that he wonders if he got a placebo shot and is in a control group.

Manta, I maintained my gym membership but haven't been there since the pandemic started. Looking forward to returning. It used to be very typical for me to have a hangover when I got there but to feel great when I left.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Congratulations freedomfries and I hope your overall health improves soon too.

I hope it does snow next week Mags but looking at the forecast none is expected. Yup, my team are playing tonight. I've got the snacks ready for when the match starts!

Manta, I plan on re-joining the gym at some point after the new year. I love walking but when it's cold and wet outside my enthusiasm suddenly fades away...

Cityboy, I hope I get the vaccine soon. I've looked at the priority groups list drawn up by the UK Government and I'm in the 6th group so I don't know how long it will be until I'm offered one

For anyone interested, the list of priority groups:

1 - Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2 - All those aged 80 and over. Frontline health and social care workers
3 - All those aged 75 and over
4 - All those aged 70 and over. Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
5 - All those aged 65 and over
6 - All individuals aged 16-64 with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
7 - All those aged 60 and over
8 - All those aged 55 and over
9 - All those aged 50 and over

Two groups will not receive the vaccine:1 - Pregnant women
2 - Most children under 16
Old 12-19-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Day 28 sober for me today I will never be able to keep up with this thread, but good to see many people having plans and positive activities. My main task for today is to do some cleaning in my apartment (something I never enjoy but am quite good at maintaining because I can't stand dirt and disorder), then decorate the little Christmas tree that has been waiting in my kitchen corner since Wednesday. I haven't had a Christmas tree for many years but we always celebrated with my family when I was young, so trying again. Then go for a walk, do some SMART recovery exercises, and attend a meeting later tonight. Tomorrow some laundry, work on my computer a bit that needs updates, and another meeting. I really enjoy being sober and productive, but will have the coming two weeks off and plan to mostly just chill, read, exercise, go for walks, and look at apartments/houses online as I want to move in the spring. I look forward to this vacation as I'll have some pretty dense, probably stressful time with work in Jan/Feb before I finally leave my job early in March.

I've never been a crier except sometimes when I was drunk out of my mind, which I definitely don't miss. If I went through such a phase sober, it would definitely freak me out as well as something so "not known me". I would probably try to see if there might be new physiological and mental issues, although I've heard that some people experience it in recovery or when they are dealing with some other significant life transition.

Have a good sober weekend everyone!
Old 12-19-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 28 days sober Aellyce It looks like you're keeping yourself busy which is a good thing.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 3 months freedomfries

28 days is great Aellyce

Robbie, enjoy your game.

Manta it felt cold enough for snow here but didn’t see any.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you MantaLady!

Congratulations on 28 days Aellyce!

We have just had an update on where London sits in our 3 Tier Covid19 system - it's Tier 4!
Old 12-19-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

It's such a mess.

I would have never thought this would go on this long and be this overwhelmingly oppressive.

Hang on, London.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Were you going to have a Christmas bubble with family Sao?

I had no plans anyway, so nothing to cancel.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Congratulations, everyone, on your sober time.

Stay close to SR during the festive season.

It will be my 9th New Year I will be celebrating alcohol-free. I remember my first New Year without Champaigne, and how my ex decided to "make amends" or whatever the hell the reason was, and give me as a gift a bottle of Dom Perignon, and I stayed in the gym for an extra hour or so to avoid going home to get a "gift". Back then it was too dangerous to have that kind of temptation around. I think by the second NY it didn't feel like much of a challenge any more. Not losing vigilance, just getting on good terms with new normal.

For the last three weeks I've been recovering from a terrible flu and what I suspect to be bronchitis which visits me once a year on a regular basis.

I had two weeks of paid vacations left for this year. Obviously no options to go anywhere even if I wanted, but I was looking forward to it to relax, take care of some things I had no time for, etc.

And exactly on the Friday night when the vacations officially started, I found myself in bed with high fever.

It got me freaked out for obvious reasons.

In the corona situation the only choice with flu-ish symptoms is to call a doctor in.

Which I did not.

Well, I am really embarrassed to share this, but I think I need to tell someone. Just to share my craziness.

The reason I didn't call in a doctor was that I am so embarrassed of my living situation that I chose to take chances with my health rather than to be embarrassed and potentially judged again.

Many of you heard my ramblings about struggles to accomplish repairs in my apartment. Just to paint the picture with a wide brush - the kitchen and entrance still has cement floors and no wallpaper, let alone other finishings.

I know, the doctor probably doesn't care.

But it's like my most sore spot. I grew up in a very poor family, and my entire life I was embarrassed to invite friends over, etc. As a kid it wasn't much I could do about it. I feel like I brought this powerlessness with me into my adult life.

It freaks me out that I can accomplish challenging projects at work and have no idea where to start fixing my living conditions. It drives me crazy.

So, I just hoped for the better. Fever broke in a couple of days, taste and smell were not compromised, I was breathing ok. I though I spent almost two weeks in bed, taking medications the doc prescribed me last year. I binge-watched all watchable tv shows - from 7 seasons of French "Engrenages" to 4 seasons of "Hart of Dixie". The last one I surprisingly liked and got addicted to.

Luckily, a week before the vacations I had started working from home because of the worsening situation with pandemia, so I stay mostly at home.

I will make a test though.

Now you know that I am a certified immature and irresponsible nutjob. But it remains the case and I can't deny it - it was less scary for me to freak out about my health that to get embarrassed. Because....people do judge, and it's not always the case that "we alcoholics think it's all about us". I've been judged all my life for all sorts of reasons - I'm just sick of it.

It made me think about what I am going to do about all this, and I had lots of time to think.

As always, thank you for listening.

See you)

Old 12-19-2020, 12:02 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Manta - I hear you about crying. I cried a lot during the last three weeks - I felt lonely, scared, and helpless. It's like I can't find that bada$$ inside and wake her up to action.

Being on my own is tough sometimes, but when I remember bad relationships I was in - I choose single anytime. Hang in there. Hugs.

I love Rocky movies, especially the first two.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are feeling better, MB. Sorry your vacation wasn't very vacation-y.

NEXT YEAR we're all going to Belize with MLD and then to a big concert, then some professional sporting thing. Yeah. Next year.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:04 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

...and you know all the "singles" in this thread get it, MB. Sux.

As my mom told me during my divorce, "There are worse things than being alone."

Amen to that.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Bim)

Yes, Belize next year. I am in!
Old 12-19-2020, 12:25 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I better get a passport!