Notices

8 weeks

Old 12-15-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 weeks

It's eight weeks today or 56 days sin e I last had a drink, now I'm not getting complacent as I had the same sober time this time last year and threw it all away on Christmas day, and it took me months to get back to here, this time last year I was saying to myself, I might have a couple on Christmas day but this time I don't want it at all, it causes nothing but grief and emptiness in your soul, so here's to another day. I hope you are all well x
Old 12-15-2020, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome, @Boggle10!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your eight weeks. Keep stringing those days together.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and hugs on reaching two months sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 8 weeks of sobriety, Boggle10! Keep up the good work - you can do this!
Old 12-15-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done Boggle - you've got this

D
Old 12-15-2020, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Keep going it get even better I guaranty it or I'll refund your money.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on 8 weeks sober!
Old 12-16-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done! We're all here with you
Old 12-16-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I don't write much on Here or comment much, I don't feel I have a right to give advice yet, but I read everyday. Some great stories and some real sad ones and my heart goes out to everyone struggling with this, and this is my only form of support, for months I couldn't get past day one. And my liver was hurting. But I've done 8 weeks and I hope it continues xhope your all well
Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boggle10 View Post
It's eight weeks today or 56 days sin e I last had a drink, now I'm not getting complacent as I had the same sober time this time last year and threw it all away on Christmas day, and it took me months to get back to here, this time last year I was saying to myself, I might have a couple on Christmas day but this time I don't want it at all, it causes nothing but grief and emptiness in your soul, so here's to another day. I hope you are all well x
Good job Boggle. You might want to do something different to reinforce it. Just this year alone (2020) I have had more than 8 weeks TWICE.. and caved to my AV both times under stress. This time I have come back here to SR for support, which helped me achieve more than 3 years sobriety before. You have to do something different, whether it is regular posting on here to help others, attending meetings, whatever it takes to reinforce the sobriety and especially the awareness of what happens when you take that first drink.

I just read your last post and you mention not posting much so I looked at your posts. Believe me, it will help you and others, especially those struggling in their first few days, to hear your advice. Posting to help others keeps us engaged in the process.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great job, Boggle. It sounds like you're committed to sobriety.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boggle10 View Post
this time last year I was saying to myself, I might have a couple on Christmas day but this time I don't want it at all, it causes nothing but grief and emptiness in your soul, so here's to another day.
Congratulations on 8 weeks. "Just a couple on Christmas Day," sends a chill down my spine. "Just a couple," especially on "special days" is a classic example of "the road to Hell being paved with good intentions. I often said, "Just a couple," and that never ended any place good, even though I had good intentions.

OK, it's time for a confession: Intellectually, "Just a couple," was the correct thing to say, and I felt good about saying the correct thing, but to be honest, I knew it was just another drunk in the making. With the best of intentions, I had just a couple, and from there went on to get seriously drunk. There's no way around it. Alcoholics drinking alcohol never leads to sobriety... ever. We play that game over and over until it finally sinks into our thick alcoholic skulls, and then one day we finally quit playing head games, and we get sober.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats Boggle!

Still 10 days behind ya
Old 12-16-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Similar story last year too.
I had 3 weeks alcohol free and said I'll drink Christmas Day and New Years Eve then that's it for a while.
Well I started Christmas Eve and didn't stop until Jan 16th.

I knew then it was all or nothing.
I am looking forward to a sober Christmas this year and every one after.

You would be surprised at what may help others. Just posting this could help someone who is thinking the same way we were last year.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-16-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 weeks. Well done.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 weeks Boggle

Why do you think you starting drinking agin after 8 weeks? Was it cravings or because it was Christmas?
Old 12-16-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thoughts. Congratulations on eight weeks!
Old 12-16-2020, 09:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think I drank again because it was just Christmas, and to be honest I was pissed off, I was expected to do everything, no help at all so I thought **** it and I caved in needless to say I got drunk fell asleep and drank some more, I have no plans to drink this Christmas at all and I have ask for help this time around, I haven't even told my husband that I'm not drinking now or haven't had a drink in the last week, I'm sure he has noticed but has said nothing, I feel so much better not sneaking around and hiding bottles, and let's be fair the only person I was fooling was myself x hope you are all well
Old 12-16-2020, 09:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That was ment to say in the last 8 weeks not week, that's the thing I'd hate to have to start all over again. I've started all over again so many times