Notices

8 weeks

Old 12-17-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If you haven't drank for 8 weeks I'm sure your husband will have noticed. Is he supportive of you in your trying to get sober?
Old 12-17-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Robbie, I'd say he's glad, hasn't said a word, but if I mention anything about drink he doesn't look amused, mind you it's OK for him to drink every night of the week,
Old 12-17-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Old 12-17-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boggle10 View Post
I haven't even told my husband that I'm not drinking now or haven't had a drink in the last week, I'm sure he has noticed but has said nothing, I feel so much better not sneaking around and hiding bottles, and let's be fair the only person I was fooling was myself x hope you are all well
Do you mind if I ask why you haven’t told your husband? It would make it easier.

Oh and well done so far 👍
Old 12-17-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great thinking. Trigger days are the worst. I have been using the holidays as a crutch the last few years and the cost has not been worth it. Going without this year and wishing you luck too.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hood, I honestly couldn't tell you that answer, maybe it's because I have been such a failure before I just think if I don't talk about it it might just go away, I know that's not the answer to this, believe me I don't want to drink again, to be honest I wasn't drinking for pleasure, I'd open a bottle of gin half fill the glass put in a splash of mixer and down it, I could of finished that bottle in 45 minutes, on a good day I'd get on with life and try to pretend I wasn't drinking, on a bad day we would argue about me drinking, I'd lie, and feel guilty but not guilty enough to stop, so this time I'm doing it for me, I'm 49 and would like a normal quiet easy life, so I suppose, it's just he never mentioned it and neither did I
Old 12-17-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes trigger days are just another excuse to have a drink, but I firmly believe il get through this one, I've got to think this or else I'd have to start at the beginning again, which we all know ain't that simple
Old 12-17-2020, 08:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Free.

This compulsion thing is really difficult sometimes.
It has to be challenging to be rewarding, I’ve been told.

It won’t always be easy and, really, I would be a fool to expect it to be.

Hope your days are peaceful, sober, and good.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hood, I honestly couldn't tell you that answer, maybe it's because I have been such a failure before I just think if I don't talk about it it might just go away, I
Be a whole lot braver this time then. Tell him you want to stop. There’s nothing wrong with then going on to say why you want to stop, i.e. you’re concerned you’re dependent on alcohol and its long-term health problems.

Admittedly my wife doesn’t drink at all, but it made it easier to tell her I was quitting. No one’s going to say quitting is a bad idea, are they?

Why not go one step further and tell your GP? I was pretty scared at that prospect, but all I got was encouragement and it was a weight off. You’re then accountable to your GP as they’ll ask you forever more if you’re drinking. They’ll also do a quick blood test to check your liver is OK.

It’s no small deal to quit drinking. It’s a massive lifestyle change. You can’t do it on the quiet without anyone noticing. People will notice and what’s more they’ll be impressed and even envious of your new found energy and free time.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hood, I honestly couldn't tell you that answer, maybe it's because I have been such a failure before I just think if I don't talk about it it might just go away, I know that's not the answer to this, believe me I don't want to drink again, to be honest I wasn't drinking for pleasure, I'd open a bottle of gin half fill the glass put in a splash of mixer and down it, I could of finished that bottle in 45 minutes, on a good day I'd get on with life and try to pretend I wasn't drinking, on a bad day we would argue about me drinking, I'd lie, and feel guilty but not guilty enough to stop, so this time I'm doing it for me, I'm 49 and would like a normal quiet easy life, so I suppose, it's just he never mentioned it and neither did I
I understand, i lied to my parents several times and pretended i wasn't drinking. I'm 32 and i want the same as you, to be alcohol free and live a normal quiet easy life. I'd down about 2. 50cl beers 7.2% in like 10 minutes. We are all here to help each others. Talk about it, i've failed several times but this community i've found here is worth gold.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

btw, i forgot to mention. I'm glad for your 8 weeks sober. Keep it up!
Old 12-18-2020, 02:52 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Nice one on 8 weeks👍
Old 12-18-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hood, I know he knows, he cried to me the last time I was drinking he said he was scared to lose me, like dieing, I've been to the doctor before, and yes everytime I phone him he asks about me drinking, I've been to countless meetings done one on one with a therapist, I honestly hated going, it's not for me, I'd rather stick to SR least I'm not judged on here, I've my big Christmas shop coming tomorrow and it's full of different juices and sparkly drinks. So I don't get tempted,
Old 12-18-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm so grateful for all your reply's it keeps me sane and sober hope you are all well x
Old 12-18-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sounds like you’re getting there. No reason why your husband couldn’t support you in quitting. Maybe he’ll quit.

Believe me, life is way better if you don’t drink. You’ll look at drinkers and see how much they’re missing out on life.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Boggle10. We are all in this together. I'm new here, but i just know that when you need help, people are here to help.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Vik, thank you for your reply, I'm now on day 59, and still feeling optimistic that il get by Christmas, the hiding and the lieing is the worst part for me, its just not who I want to be anymore, I hope your well
Old 12-18-2020, 08:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 59 days sober, Boggle10! You are doing great! Wishing you a sober Christmas - I know you can do it.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you darkstranger,
Old 12-22-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

How's it going Boggle?